max tire size for stock TJ

wildrice

I was wondering what is the biggest AT tire I can get for a stock TJ wrangler.. with the 4.0 Auto.

it has the stock jeep wheels 15" on it now, but I might get a wheel/tire combo and go with some classic II's or something..

I used to be bigtime into wheeling and built a rock ready 85yota, but now I work all the time, and I was just wanting this little jeep to ride on the beach and stuff... so it dosent ahve to be anything radical... just a decent size allterrain that can give me some ground clearance to get over the ruts...

it has 30-9.50 R15 on it now, and that looks like some girl tires.. they are almost worn out, so I wanna get some new ones.. what size can I get away with..
thanks
joe

rock! I want 32's but I dont want to get them and cant drive it cause its scrubbing.. then Im forced to spend more money and time to put a lift on it.... anyone ever tried 32"s on a stock Jeep TJ?

31x10.5 and 31x12.5 but they will rub the shit out of your ca's. not to mention not good for the new tire. if you do, adjust your steering stops to lessen the rubbing at lock but know this will affect daily driving. and your ground clearance isn't going to improve but with the wider tire you will have a slightly better footprint, air down and you should be ok. hope you have tow points. if you get stuck i hear that nc beach towing is $$$.

you can go 32. how much do you want to cut?

haha no cutting.. Id rather put a lift on than cut it up...

so no 32's huh... o well
and it will rub the control arms?

wont that rub no matter what? how would a lift stop that? they remain in the same place dont they?

ok.. ho about this... a 2" kit with 32's... is that possible?

and how much work is installing a jeep lift?

Im a machinist, and do some welding on the side... so Im sure its easy, but Ive never put on a "kit" style suspension lift..

I usually did lift springs and blocks or shackles

2" and 32's is a GREAT combo. I ran this for 2-3 years with no problems whatsoever. Get a 1.75 or 2" kit with shocks, and put it on in 1 or 2 evenings and you will be good to go. My jeep was the most fun with 2" spacer, 32's, and a rear locker.

2" by body lift
2" by coil spring spacer
2" by replacing w/ coils from another jeep or new coils

all easy to do. with 2" you don't need to buy new longer brake lines, no tc drop, no ds replacement and really shouldn't need new shocks. if your just driving on sand and no hard wheeling your shocks should be fine.

if you keep your stock wheels and go with a 32" tire your going to be limited to specific brands based on the width of your stock wheels. don't know what kind of wheels you have but if they are 15x8 or 9 - i don't know who makes a narrow 32" other than a few odd interco sizes. but those are probably more aggressive than you want to run on tarmac. just my thoughts. there are some that run a 10.5 up on a 9" rim. thats up to you, what you feel comfortable with.

We went with 2" coil spacers on my g/f's TJ, easy to install, jack up one side, disconnect shock and sway bar on that side, let jack down and spring will all but fall out on its own.

Im running a 2.25" Budget Boost (spacers f/b and new shocks) and 33X10.50's.

I did put 1.25" wheel spacers behind the factory Grizzly wheels to get rid of the rubbing on the control arms. I could have bought new wheels for the price of the spacers, but I liked the grizzly wheels. I also have 2 washers on the steering stops....but I could probably take them out...but I just havent.

Ive been to URE on this set up and did just fine. I didnt disconnect, but didnt really need to. For beach riding this setup should be fine.

The budget boost was an inexpensive fix for what I wanted....a bigger tire and functions great for my driving and offroading.

good luck with your search for the perfect set up for you.

chris

I ran stock 31's on my wrangler for about a year with no rubbing...that was stock.

Now im running 2" spacer lift with 32's and I still have no rubbing of any kind.

I also ran 31's on my stock TJ with factory rims. They rubbed the CA's until I bought aftermarket rims.

If you run the 2.25" budget boost and a 1" body, how would that work out?

i have personally seen 35'' with a 2'' BB wheeling. dude said its perfect for the streets but rubs a bit when wheeling, but not enough to ruin anything.

i have personally seen 35'' with a 2'' BB wheeling. dude said its perfect for the streets but rubs a bit when wheeling, but not enough to ruin anything.
did he have fenders at all?? Ive personally put a 33x12.5x15 on my g/f's jeep with a little less than half tread and the tire would have been fully stuffed if she were to pull up on a curb

i run 2 inch lift w/ 32" tires and love it the only issue i have noticed is a driveline vibration so i am installing a transfer case drop kit

i took a close look at this thing man, it was as he said... 2'' BB rollin on 35''. no other mods, to include stock fenders. it can be done. not that i recommend you go wheeling with it. it did just fine on the street though. it also looked kind of funny, like a low rider jeep with 35''.

31's stock and factory settings.
31's with a 2" spacer kit lift.
31's with a 1" body lift.

32's with a 2" spacker lift kit will work, but rub the flare at flex. Nothing will get hurt.
32's with a 1" body lift will work just fine! no rubbing of flares and a great wheeler.(I have done this and it works great)

Now as far as rubbing, both tire sizes you are looking at may/may not rub the control arms. This is not a problem, just a noise. It won't hurt the tire or the contorl arm, again it just makes noise. You can replace your steering stops to keep your tires from turning that far either way. You will lose some turning radius, but not enough that you will notice. (I can type more info on that if requested)

I would reccomend no higher than a 1-1.25" body lift. Any higher and you are really raising the center of gravity. I also don't like the long bolts used for 2-3" body lifts. remember that if you get into and accident, your bumpers will take the blow and then the body will follow. There is a lot of stress on the shank of the bolt. I know bolts are rated for shear strength, but thats a lot of force. This is one area I'd just rather not worry about. If you need more lift look at the suspension.

Now with a body lift, I would reccomend doing a motor mount raise. This will help with the rear driveshaft angle, and also allow you to keep your fan shroud in place, and transfer case at stock height. It actually causes less problem with a body lift. (I can post more on this too if requested)
Todd

thanks guys, yall have helped alot... I am thinking I will go with a 2" coil spacer, and maby the shocks in the kit too..
and going with a MT classic II 15x8 and some 32-11.50 R15
or
going with a 16" MT classic II and some 265-70 R16 tires..

only reason Im thinking the latter is that it seems that the
32" tire seems to be phazing out... most of the new mud tires and stuff, dont offer the 32-11.50 anymore...

I really want some walker evans beadlock wheels... lol but thats a supreme overkill for a beach buggy. sweet lookin wheels tho

Joe

oh yeah, I should have mentioned, my 31's and 32"s were both on aftermarket wheels
That makes a big differance. If you put any suspension lift on you should install the correct length shocks.

We are still running stock shocks on my g/f's jeep with the 2" BB. They have lasted with road driving, however they are getting to the point of needing replacement. So I guess what Im saying is, if its in the budget, get the shocks when you get the BB, if you have to wait on the shocks, its not going to hurt anything.

I Just put some 265 70 R16 tires on some mickey thomp classic II wheels 16x 8

and they havent scrubbed or touched not once..
I bought the 2" space lift, but I dont need it.. its fine without it..

maby next Ill try a 285 75 R16 with the 2" lift, and it will work out perfect....... maby

Joe

Back