Manual?

tech701

Does anyone have any thoughts on swapping the 4r100 for a 5 or 6 speed in an 03 f250? I was just wondering if it would be cost effective when compared to rebuilding the auto.

i'm interested in this as well... my 4r100 is slowly on the way out.

I've researched this alittle. From what I've seen, in the long run, you'll be better off to pony up and get a good built auto. For around $4000, you can have Brian's Truck Shop build you a tranny that you won't have to worry about. If you swapped, once you put an upgraded clutch with it, and all the headaches of the swap, you'd be pretty close to that figure.

I had this dilema with my dodge, so I sold the truck. The cost of a trans swap vs. having a 'hotrod' auto rebuilt that CAN handle what you use it for are about equal. $4-5k. It's also a HUGE PIA. Much easier to sell you truck and buy another.

I'm kinda partial to my truck. I've got a little time and effort invested in it.

Ford is also supposed to come out with a improved reman 4R100 to be used in heavy duty applications. I am expecting literature on it soon. As for Brian's Truck Shop's trannys. They are 1st class. Go over to http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/ and read the reviews there. I have yet to read a complaint.

Back