Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

you must have been jacked on monster and just completed a personal best bench when you made that vid.
or did you just get some Prada/Oakley prototypes via FedEx? :D

Going to be a brutal course for the 4500 cars today at Badlands. 46 competitors with roughly 40 being 4400 unlimiteds. Wet tight 5.5 mile track with a few climbs, a few high speed sections and lots of water holes.

Currently pouring.... But I can see blue skies in the distance.
image.jpg

Unreal racing against the best in the world. It was some of the most fun I have had at a competition.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__wQoHkU_soVk_U7HNIxsnhAI_AAAAAAAAE_1f6e1207b781975de1e99187a7752916.jpg

It took room service 3 trips to my hotel room delivering scented soaps Saturday night to finally get me clean. I don't know what was more stressful- Erik Miller blasting his sirens on my tail, or trying to get the mud out of my Raulph Lauren race socks.

Here's a shot 30 minutes before the Green Flag and then 30 minutes after the Checkered Flag:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__p8zTQQFCxo0_U7GwfEtCoJI_AAAAAAAAE_125bda0e32e6883ccdbc73201936f2bc.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__k7ky4U52JW8_U7Gwfi_gdAI_AAAAAAAAE_48f35affca5bd1e0f8226ac818cb8f75.jpg

Gangsta lean. It's not a fad, it's a lifestyle.

awww_nairaland_com_attachments_886768_Thug20Lean_jpgbb8929f79d4ad8c9d028ca8b5d0f52d7_.jpg

No one is going to take me serious in Ultra4 if I can't establish and maintain a 37 degree gangsta lean on my hot laps. The problem is, when my seat is leaned way back and I've propped my fist on top of the steering wheel, I'm having a hard time getting through the rocks. Gangsta lean in the pits, no problem. Gangsta lean on Chocolate Thunder..... Problem. Am I the only driver having steering issues like this?

acarphotos.cardomain.com_story_images_1_2286_4681_5714840001_large.jpg

I decided to do what I do best..... copy the real racers so I can look more legit.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__AYkahm_Nz9A_U9qAHEM_L_I_AAAAAAAAFFM_iakRsusua68_s720_PSC.JPG

MrBlaine has been a huge resource on steering info, the jeep is in Maryland at OMS Offroad for the beauty application/installation by Mike (my co-driver).

alh3.googleusercontent.com__ocokRpQ4Dew_U_D_rn0c2KI_AAAAAAAAFGE_K9yG_prEei0_s720_psc1.jpeg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__eZlUKkONrWc_U_D_qiMjbnI_AAAAAAAAFGA_yHN1Cl7gXkI_s720_psc2.jpeg

OMS Offroad is having to make a few changes to squeeze all of this in, airbumps need to be moved to make room for some of the hardware changes. My only request was that they are placed in a more visible spot so people can see them better. I don't really care if they are hitting properly, just as long as weekend wheelers can see them. Nothing says "I'm a serious racer" like spotting some bling airbumps on the trail.

Excuse the dirt in the pics- I was washing the rig until 12:45am the night of the Badlands race, only to have Erik Miller kick me out of the spray and wash to de-Attica his rig. I asked if he wanted an autograph, which he politely declined, so I loaded up the mall crawler where it went straight to the shop- so no REDLYNER q-tip detail as of yet.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__ps_R3mZBVLg_U_Ou7mi4fNI_AAAAAAAAFGc_MC7F3167af4_s600_psc7.jpeg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__lnCOd5Y9MpY_U_Ou7hacsfI_AAAAAAAAFGk_1bVe09smQMU_s800_psc8.jpeg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__jH9bQjmghOI_U_Ou7_4h6SI_AAAAAAAAFGg_shqKDjNNRE0_s800_psc9.jpeg

I can't believe you're even posting pics of your rig without full tireshine and level 6 speedwax. So not mall crawler brah. :shaking: Your speedbump cred just went down a few points in my book.

I know I know. It's like seeing Sofia Vergara without her makeup, I should have the car back this week for some serious wax time at the house.

Piecing hydro assist together is like wearing the Bugatti belt buckle- a box of crazy intricacy at first glance, laborious during install, but straight up parking lot brah status once clasped. OMS Offroad would have been finished by now, but I rejected the first version due to a lack of speed holes.

aimages.complex.com_complex_image_upload_t_article_image_xr59bt8cdi8hkokjulcz.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__3AfutXrR8Uk_U_uYAmop42I_AAAAAAAAFHE_FxC2lsbRc_k_s800_oms_2520psc1.jpeg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__MboLfjmm3B0_U_uYAhBLLHI_AAAAAAAAFHM_KU8I9tBVYHk_s800_oms_2520psc2.jpeg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__OO7_2IxzbiU_U_uYBv7BBOI_AAAAAAAAFHI_yt8N0pnW8ZQ_s800_oms_2520psc3.jpeg

So I was gossiping with my bro's last weekend and things got waaaaaay out of hand. We were on the topic of bling and murses (man purse) when Jaycee got all up in my grill about how you can't fit 10lbs Cartier into a 5lb Coach murse. I was like.... "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY, BRAH?". We both put down our Corona Lights and immediately started chest bumping, circling, and going back and forth in a voracious manner: "You heard me brah" "What did you just say brah?" "You heard me brah" "What did you just say brah?" And on and on.

awww.virginmedia.com_images_benstiller_zoolander_590x350.jpg

After a half hour of this I finally wore Jaycee down and we came up with a solution.

Coincidentally, Mike at OMS, was in a similar scenario trying to fit 10lbs of PSC hydro bling into a 5lb axle end corner. Jaycee and I were pretty pumped and decided to head over to the shop and share our murse solution with Mike, thinking it may apply to the steering. Even though we were immediately kicked out of the OMS shop, I'm pretty sure Mike was able to grab some take-aways from our idea.

alh5.googleusercontent.com__SdNbYozyTvk_U_JPJDdmf9I_AAAAAAAAFH4_eVC6fBlbrl0_s805_oms_2520psc10.jpeg

Getting painted up:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__M2j8D5srNZU_U_JPJAqXI2I_AAAAAAAAFIA_LWWoeQCR6mo_s805_oms_2520psc11.jpeg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__uGBF9NUetUs_U_JPJYBE5II_AAAAAAAAFH4c5635361dc3e4aea0ba6ec0740c879d.jpeg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__St5SSOfGc7g_U_JPJ_IyJUI_AAAAAAAAFH0_suN6xvD_YxE_s805_oms_2520psc12.jpeg

Caught this on Urban Dictionary....

I scored 7 out of 8, that's pretty hardcore brah.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__CM70aTmbi4I_U_1EexnyzLI_AAAAAAAAFJY_9PTfRlRJ5PU_s549_metro_2520list.jpg

It took 13 trips to AutoZone this weekend to come up with enough cleaning solutions to get the mall crawler back to hot lap status from the U4 Badlands race. It's good to have it back though, I was losing serious street cred rolling in the wife's WK.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__KhM0mX4Nl0g_U_0zxKRe3JI_AAAAAAAAFIw_32myP1dv75U_s805_racecar5.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__5auD9tytsmo_U_0zxHwOypI_AAAAAAAAFIs_s_u79L0HeD8_s805_racecar4.JPG

#fistpumpwhite

Another kickass REDLYNER weekend last week, hitting all of the hotspots. First up, refreshing the frosted tips at the salon-

alh6.googleusercontent.com__8nZe2Pn39jk_VAYdqZuWT_I_AAAAAAAAFO8a770e0eb88385d4f149fd69c95c2bc5.jpg

Hans, my preferred stylist, is always running late. So I figured I would get caught up on the latest styles with a little reading-

awww.chloeandjane.com_images_pr_savvy_lg.jpg

But no weekend is complete without upgrading the wardrobe. So I bounced over to one of my favorite boutiques in Uptown-

afbcdn_sphotos_d_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xfa1_t31.0_8_c0.115114abd354cc403eb954e1fdc6e5948a8.jpg

Now, with my hair killing it and my swag set, for one reason or another I had the Savvy 4500 team on my mind. I'm tired of losing to them, so I went back and re-read their build thread 7 times and now and I think I finally figured out why they are so fast. At first, it wasn't obvious, but on the seventh time around, on page 11, I saw it. The Savvy Aluminum bumper and Aluminum fairlead mount. Clearly this is what I was missing. So in true mall crawler fashion, I had to have it. A quick call to Team Savvy and now I'm set. Their brand new extra thick aluminum bumper package showed up this week and will be going on this weekend. I believe this is the first one of the new model to be installed and trust me, it will be tested. I plan on no less than 3 trips to Autozone and the Grocery Store this weekend, which means plenty of action to test the metallurgy.

Now I have zero excuses as there should be no advantage in the Savvy/Currie team over mine :D.

alh5.googleusercontent.com__qatxXf34MHc_VAnk3K6vUmI_AAAAAAAAFPQ_7G_dzAJNulU_s805_Savvy1.jpg

I make one exception for mud.........

awww.muddayspa.com.au_media_4130_Pevonia_July_2013_Man_Receiving_Mud_Mask_Treatment.jpg

And that is when I visit Jasmine in Uptown. Her mud mask is absolutely sensational and I've found that if I get one within 7 days of a race, my helmet slides on like a Ralph Lauren slipper. So as I'm sitting there letting Jasmine do her magic, I was thinking- you know if by removing this mud mask makes my face look this good, what would happen if I removed all of the mud from my radiator and cooling system? There HAD to be a correlation...

Old setup has seen too much JV sand, Georgia red clay, and Attica water slop- the shroud was cut up, fan clutch was worn out, the "mud-iator" was way past done:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__ChrBQ_VvKt8_VCiqh8Q4TyI_AAAAAAAAFSg_3nyiMeLnykM_s805_rad1.jpg

Free REDLYNER Racing sticker to the first person who can tell which one is the new radiator:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__6QU0Bhocs_c_VCiqhFjlpII_AAAAAAAAFSE_jihxc1FumUA_s800_rad2.jpg

Getting the fan clutch off:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__u1gpqX2SugM_VCiqhYLm9UI_AAAAAAAAFSM_9hvsRGdGixU_s800_rad3.jpg

New vs old fan clutch:

alh5.googleusercontent.com__mq_gT6Lb6xE_VCiqiwFVWQI_AAAAAAAAFS8_pxbrQRNqZR4_s800_rad8.jpg

Test fitting the radiator showed the hydro assist lines were going to be too tight:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__HFh2GUHdARU_VCiqh0uWNQI_AAAAAAAAFSU_wXvF_3fG7kU_s800_rad4.jpg

Cleaned up:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__rqBVRIzBcfE_VCiqi9YMfDI_AAAAAAAAFUA_LCryzgjrOHo_s800_rad7.jpg

Done and done. Purged the motor of air, then drove to the gym.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__CG28YrkOc0c_VCiqh47UkbI_AAAAAAAAFT8_rZEHegEu0Ik_s800_rad5.jpg

The 4550 spotted doing what it was built to do: headed to Mountain Island Fitness and Publix-

alh4.googleusercontent.com__0RSg3KGuwgg_VCisAUTOAEI_AAAAAAAAFUQ_gKoKe4UE_P4_s805_mcing1.jpg

There is a place in Mooresville that does ultrasonic cleaning of radiators, oil coolers, firesuits, helmets, etc. A lot cheaper than buying new radiators.

There is a place in Mooresville that does ultrasonic cleaning of radiators, oil coolers, firesuits, helmets, etc. A lot cheaper than buying new radiators.

Could be useful to know. The race suit needs some serious love.

It's probably fairly obvious that my well moisturized hands were not happy after this weekend. First, I got a dab of coolant on me, but to make things worse, I chipped a Swedish manicured nail bolting up SAVVY's new bling'n heavy duty aluminum bumper. Oh, but that's not all bro- to top it off....... Yep, you guessed it..... coolant doesn't wash out of velour.

That's the last time I work on the engine in a designer jumpsuit.

A la Nelly-

awww.celebrities8.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_09_nelly_bet_hip_hop_awards.jpg

Most of my hysteria chilled once I finish the bumper replacement though. And it was due, at Ultra4 Badlands I nearly ripped the bumper off. Stress cracks and dents finally did in the old aluminum setup, Savvy's new HD series though should prove to be a bulldozer at the local Chic-fil-a's.

This was repainted before Badlands-

alh4.googleusercontent.com__nCq1qzZf9F0_VCiqjMn_2hI_AAAAAAAAFS0_IbttoKxj63Y_s805_sav1.jpg

Old thinner material setup was 18.8lbs, the new SAVVY setup is 20.8lbs-

alh6.googleusercontent.com__NQdoAT3MqgU_VCiqjkLfAtI_AAAAAAAAFTE_OOzElfc5ezg_s805_sav2.jpg

This shows some of the bending of the old bumper-

alh4.googleusercontent.com__9uctZKGBxmo_VCiqkA6nudI_AAAAAAAAFTQ_xaE3wU6LAkI_s805_sav4.jpg

Mocked up in fistpumpaluminum, I'll probably end up hitting it with black paint. Although....... It could potentially elevate my poser status to orbital with some body match white bumpers and nerf bars. Hmmmmmm..

alh3.googleusercontent.com__qwD8qbBvmG8_VCiqk2i_gVI_AAAAAAAAFTw_Wijh2guiwOo_s805_sav7.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__PBNFUHHs6Ys_VCiqlLYDS9I_AAAAAAAAFTs_iFVwD0Dy4Vc_s805_sav8.jpg

As I'm sure everyone is aware, Abercrombie & Fitch had their annual Fall Jeans and Flannels sale last weekend. This is a pretty big deal for mall crawlers, so I got there 2 hours before store opening to make sure I could park my jeep right in front. Bam! 12:00pm hits and the mall doors open. I was rock'n it, I was like "yeah, I look so racer right now". And then it happened...... IT happened brah. Some kid got out of his sky blue JK and was all like "hey buddy, nice bolt-on jeep".

awww.snappypixels.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_oh_no_you_didnt_13.gif

Bolt-on jeep? For cereal brah? Did he not see my 27 stickers? Ummm, how about the fact that I have blue coilovers? Did he even take that into consideration? No, clearly he did not. But either way, I had some work to do. I have to look more race car, so I hit the forums. I looked at Napier's build, then Tom Wayes, then Shannon's. And I started to see a theme, a little more research into Messer's and Sherer's car and I saw it! Each of those guy's race cars had one glaring mod in common that I didn't have-

Hood pins.

It was so obvious. That and the fact my stock hood latches had popped off in each of the last two EMC's, it was time to upgrade. A quick call to Tim at Liquid Iron Industries and the ball was in motion.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__j_O1Q9BYIi8_VDKbqIyr43I_AAAAAAAAFVs_Rwt5MiJv58I_s800_IMG_5556.JPG

Drilled the front cap for the mounting bolts:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__M4r2en1T46w_VDKbpw5R1UI_AAAAAAAAFVo_w5a5ZcJ8nnU_s800_IMG_5570.JPG

Hole saw into the hood........:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__YAWGosDCZI0_VDKbpxEYaLI_AAAAAAAAFV0_yZ2UxpcEeAo_s800_IMG_5574.JPG

Drilled the four poly mounting holes, bolted up some stainless gear:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__BrB5wMonpsY_VDKbqQigoFI_AAAAAAAAFVw_4_nKb0Ir7dY_s800_IMG_5575.JPG

Took it out for a spin and everything seemed to be ok.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__E5ipB71jq4I_VDVPkF3W_wI_AAAAAAAAFW0_8uOITZJcqlw_s800_Red_2520Pop4.jpg

Back