mac

BigBody79

does anybody have a mac? i am thinking about getting one. i really need to edit video alot quicker. my computers now just can't handle it. will mac be good for me? how do they compare? thanks!

Macs -- with enough money dropped into them -- are the bestest for photo/video. Way more bang for the buck than the PC world. Yes, you can get a PC much cheaper...but dollar for dollar, the Mac will run circles around a similarly priced Windoze machine.

Downsides? Not everybody on every streetcorner services them if you do have trouble (which is much less often than a PC, anyway).

Edit, to answer your question, No, I don't have a mac. But I do have a couple of clients that do. I also just set up a PC for photo editing, probably gonna switch to Mac for a little more speed, plus going to start doing video soon.

i heard that mac's don't get virus or spyware after visiting hundreds of illicit sites a day... true? if so, it shoudl be an easy decision :)

anyone i know who does any sort of graphics swears by mac... i don't even know how to work the mouse on one but after reading about the pros and cons of the mac they seem to be the way to go if you can afford it...

I've been running an iBook G4 since March 04, in that time I have had to replace the hard drive, that is all (summer of '05, and I did it myself, it is NOT for the faint of heart or tool challenged).

I am currently running OS 10.4.9, have used only the stock video editing software ( iMovie) and have been pretty pleased with it.

No, they are not as prone to virus attacks, nor spyware, but it is possible.
THe thing to remember is to not install anything you don't know the source. Also, main account should be ADMIN, then everyday users accounts seperate ( if you have an issue, it's eaiser to wipe the user account than reformat the whole machine)

I'm pretty happy with mine, I do on occasion run into issue with some sites not liking Safari ( apple web browser) but I also run Firefox as needed.

i run a macbook, and i like it so far
Upsides:
-video photo and music is superior
-havent gotten a virus or a single popup yet
-all sorts of bluetooth and other stuff comes standard
-great range on wireless internet which comes standard
-you can run the new operating system for mac, OR you can run windows vista
-great hardware
-much faster and smoother software

Downsides:
-$$$$ more than PC (get what you pay for)
-takes a little while to get used to
-Everone else has a PC (i would recommend using Microsoft Office on your mac so you can transer files easier from Mac's to PC's
-when you buy one, you become part of the macbook cult, which consists mostly of artsy people, homo's, and pedophiles. (theres also the small business owners, college kids, and other normal people, but i am refering to the ones you see in the retarded mac commercials)

buy a mac, its better, then just get used to it, and you will be able to easily run a mac and a PC soon enough

Yup most files are transferable. I unfortuantely got a PC last year when we moved up here, but when this laptop dies, it is back to Mac for me :) Mac is great, and like everyone said, you will find people here and there that have them, but they are not the norm. And the prices of software is a bit more.

I solely use macs at home, and would never switch back to winblows. I do a fair amount of photo and video editing, and the free movie software included with osx is better than working with windows. If you want to step it up a bit, Final Cut is awesome and all you'll ever need.

i see there are some that are lower priced that others should i got macbook pro or just regular macbook? I mostly surf the web and type some papers. but i would like to edit video some what less painfully. how big is the difference between the two.

Honestly, if you work on a PC now, save your money and upgrade your PC to handle your video and graphics.

It use to be that Mac was the go to computer for Graphics. But if your PC is less than say 5 years old, just drop a little coin into it bump up the RAM, the Processor and Video Card if you can.

Anyone that knows me, knows I prefer Mac, but as of late, I've been constantly getting irritated at how over priced Mac is.

Also, If you want to do Video more efficiently why are you looking at Laptops? they are inherently slower.

But If I had the coin to drop:

Dual 3Ghz Quad-core Intel Xeon
16 Gig Ram
4 750 Gig Internal HD's
NVIDIA Quatro 512MB Stereo 3D

$12K just for the tower!!!!!

Oh and, Dual Monitors DEFINITELY! Once you've worked on Duals, it SUCKS to work on one. Like going from a big work bench to a piece of plywood on saw horses.

-when you buy one, you become part of the macbook cult, which consists mostly of artsy people, homo's, and pedophiles.
LOL

Alright, well the film I need to edit is pretty simple football game film, high lights and stuff. I don't have a PC that I would like to upgrade. I would like a laptop just because they are a bit more portable. I need to bring it to school with me and then back home. I need something that is going to be reliable and that will work.

I'd get a PC. With Intel and AMD chips being so cheap right now, I think you can get way more bang for your buck from a PC. That's just my opinion though, I build all my own computers so I sometimes have a different view point.

i see there are some that are lower priced that others should i got macbook pro or just regular macbook? I mostly surf the web and type some papers. but i would like to edit video some what less painfully. how big is the difference between the two.

THe macbook pro has a much better video card than the macbook. You could use a macbook for some video, but I'd go with the pro if you're looking for desktop performance in a laptop

I'd get a PC. With Intel and AMD chips being so cheap right now, I think you can get way more bang for your buck from a PC. That's just my opinion though, I build all my own computers so I sometimes have a different view point.

Apple uses intel processors. There really is not that much diff in price between a mac and a pc with the same specs and features. Building one yourself is a completely different matter altogether, and is always going to be cheaper

There really is not that much diff in price between a mac and a pc with the same specs and features.

I think you haven't priced them then.

I built a Mac on their site and then went to Dell and built as comparable a computer as I could. Minor differences really.

Mac = $12,000.00
Dell = $4800.00

slight difference in price ;)

alright, i'm not going to go that far up the computer price range. what i was looking at was a macbook pro with the 15" screen and the 2.2 chip. i would really rather have a laptop over a desk top. how much PC can i get for 1500-2000?

I run a Macbook Pro for work every day. Hardly ever shut down and hardly ever any issues. My Macbook Pro is faster then any desktop I've had and it's great to pick up and take it where ever I want to work. Mines has a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2Gb of ram, though I'd like to upgrade to 4Gb sometime soon. If you need to run Windows you can with Boot Camp or Parallels (I run NT Pro in a window). I've never had one virus in 15 years using Mac. As far as the price difference, if you compare specs of a Macbook Pro with a PC they pretty much come out the same, sometimes cheaper.
Oh and check Apple's Referbs, they go through more testing then their new computers. My wife has had a referb laptop for 8 months and it runs great, for alot cheaper too.

I think you haven't priced them then.
I built a Mac on their site and then went to Dell and built as comparable a computer as I could. Minor differences really.
Mac = $12,000.00
Dell = $4800.00
slight difference in price ;)

Actually I own all 3- mac pro, macbook pro, and iMac, so I have priced them :beer:

The mac pro is the exception to the rule, and if you look into it closely dell doesn't come close to offering anything with that potential. I was referring to the consumer line- iMacs and macbooks. Go build a dell with the same processor, same speed ram, bluetooth, wireless, etc, etc, and its pretty close to the comparable imac or macbook

macbook is what i got and its great. does getting use to when going from pc to mac but there is a program that you can buy that will allow you to run windows. I got it and its a life saver. so you can run mac or windows on the computer.

don't get me wrong, I'd rather be working on a mac. ;)

I guess when I'm pushing around 2 Gig Photoshop files that are up to and some times exceed 80 layers deep with Layer stlyes, or vector files with 100K pieces of text (text blocks not characters) we need the big boys, last Mac that I worked on in an office environment (i.e. I didn't pay for it out of my pocket) was a $10K tower G5. dual 1.8Ghz with 8 gigs ram, some big ass Video card to run Dual monitors. Now at my new office I'm on a Dell with a single 3Ghz, 3 gigs Ram, and I think it costs $1K. and handles all the same types of files. It might be a tad slower, but nothing that I can't reach over and take a slurp of my Mt Dew an dget back to work.

Again, I'd rather work ona Mac, but there's no denying you can get a PC for a lot less $$'s

Haven't done much with the Mac hardware, but I know the OS does make life easy. IF you go the laptop route, you'll probably want one with two internal drives, so you can edit faster. You are going to need all the IO help you can get there.

Adobe Premiere Pro is awesome for the PC, tho. IF you go the PC route, you will have to make that purchase as well.

Finally, Apple's service was claimed to be a reason to buy the Macs in the last comparison. The only better service came from Lenovo's Thinkpad group.

J

Just my $.02
I work in the Laser, plotter, highspeed inkjet (50+PPM), etc... environment and have noticed a distinct problem in peripherals not liking Mac Os. It usually gets corrected eventually but can be a real PIA. Several of my customers run both Os environments simultaneously (usually on separate networks) and have the same issues with virus and popups, hanging etc... on both systems. Granted these are large corporate networks but I see the same problems from MAC and PC. Apple just has a better PR campaign. PC's have the corporate world by the b@lls so PR is not so much a concern.
Now I use a 3.0G Media Center PC for about 2.5 years now with no intrusions or failures. I do video/photo editing at times although not heavily and it works just fine. Help is easier to find for PC's and you get a lot less of the superior attitude that you may find with MAC.

alright, i'm not going to go that far up the computer price range. what i was looking at was a macbook pro with the 15" screen and the 2.2 chip. i would really rather have a laptop over a desk top. how much PC can i get for 1500-2000?

the one i have with the new operating system, a printer/scanner/faxer, and several programs

i got the black macbook with all possible upgrades
you dont need the macbook pro unless you have a business around graphic design, or you like to run 175 programs at one time

Back