M416 Tailgate Project

TheGriz

Jeff's M416 has been at my place for a while, so what better time to begin cutting....
Sorry for no before pics, but the trailer had been damaged in the rear due to a tree falling on it.
We cut out the back, except for a couple inches on each side. We reinforced the corners with some angle iron and plated the rear of the frame with some 1/4" (had a convenient 4" strip already, so why not).
ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_S6300292.jpg

Cut some 16ga steel for sheet metal, and rolled it over a piece of pipe to match the other three sides. Braced with 3/4" angle iron.
YJ tailgate hinges put back to work:
ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_S6300294.jpg

Jeff reused the chains from his old Chevy pickup (65 maybe):
ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_S6300291.jpg

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_S6300290.jpg

We cut out the Jeep logo from a CJ tailgate since Jeff will be pulling this behind his TJ.
ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_S6300295.jpg

Nice. Is that the original rear panel or did you make one?
I used a CJ tailgate for my old one.
I am bummed i had to part with it :( Yours looks good!!!

Unfortunately not original (and unfortunately it's not my trailer) :mad:. But rumor has it, that it is available for me to loan.

I heard that a tree fell on it, forcing the PO to cut out the back. We cut the new section from 16ga steel. The jeep logo section really stiffened it up in the center, similar to the original beads rolled in it.

Yours looks awesome. We toyed with the idea of doing the same thing you did, but decided to keep the original height all the way around.

Jeff is going to get it blasted, and will likely add a little bondo to smooth out the rough welded edges in a few places.

Sorry you had to sell yours. I'm digging the military lights.

ugh... you guys are killin' me. I can understand making a tailgate if it's already been hacked, as appears to be the case here. But other than that, what's the point in hacking up an original military trailer? It's not like you need a tailgate to load and unload since you can't carry anything heavy in one. If you need more "table space", buy a table. FYI orig uncut WWII and Korean era trailers now go for upwards of $1000. The M416's will get there sooner or later. Decent ones are damn near impossible to find now.

When i got my trailer it was "liberated" of the rear panel by the previous owner with a torch, so not a biggie for me :) But i do have to say the tailgate is handy to load things in, say if you used the traielr for menial duties like getting bags of fertilizer or dirt, you dont kill your back as much ;) The tail lights i got from ebay. They were not "taillights" but running lights, i got red LEDs from the auto parts store and modified them to fit, worked real nice. I am on the hunt for another, but I may jsut build my own trailer. After tearing into my old one, you realize there is nothing much to them. And i would make mine maybe a foot shorter and a little lower on the sides. I jsut have to find a junk axle so i can do it, i am not planning on putting much money into in :)

ugh... you guys are killin' me. I can understand making a tailgate if it's already been hacked, as appears to be the case here. But other than that, what's the point in hacking up an original military trailer? It's not like you need a tailgate to load and unload since you can't carry anything heavy in one. If you need more "table space", buy a table. FYI orig uncut WWII and Korean era trailers now go for upwards of $1000. The M416's will get there sooner or later. Decent ones are damn near impossible to find now.

I look at it like anything.. why do people cut up a perfectly good CJ.. it will be a antique/classic "SOMEDAY"

who cares...

but the reason we cut up the one JPH0913 listed was the owner wanted a way to get his sons dirt bikes in the back so we could tow them to the race track without having to buy another trailer..
and it worked out great..

he also put a lift on it and new axle so that way his trailer has same size tires as his YJ.. personally I like them modified, then factory

and if someone is into for the money then they are into the wrong hobby

I MIGHT know where there's one.... if he still has it. just don't have the spare cash for it right now. :( already SOA on big old Military Goodyear Wranglers, just needs new wheel bearings and then I need a pintel to put on the Jeeps.

Just get the adapter so you can use it in the reciever, that is what i have on my jeep, and i can tow it with the truck also :) But it sure is a knee knocker if you round the back of the jeep and forget that pintle is there. :(

Thanks again Steve! Can't wait to cammo it. Not to rub it in, but I got the trailer for $300!

guy chased me down on highway 70 one saturday when I was out cruising on my m38.Wound up buying his M416 for 100 dollars also.I love those hundred dollar deals.That M38 came to me the same way.I was out cruising around in my first cj3 and a guy flagged me down asking if I wanted to buy one for parts.Looked at it and gave him 125 dollars for it and he hauled it to my house.The body and frame were in better shape that the 3a I was driving.That is how Nellie Belle was reborn.

I look at it like anything.. why do people cut up a perfectly good CJ.. it will be a antique/classic "SOMEDAY"
who cares...
but the reason we cut up the one JPH0913 listed was the owner wanted a way to get his sons dirt bikes in the back so we could tow them to the race track without having to buy another trailer..
and it worked out great..
he also put a lift on it and new axle so that way his trailer has same size tires as his YJ.. personally I like them modified, then factory
and if someone is into for the money then they are into the wrong hobby
You're right. What was I thinking. To hell with my original unrestored M38... I'm gonna back half it!!!
ai101.photobucket.com_albums_m68_bullgearinc_pic020.jpg

It's not about money. I guess I just have a little more respect for vintage Jeeps and military vehicles than some people... apparently a whole lot more respect than some others.
Why would you want an M416 to haul a bike in anyway. A $300 Northern Tool trailer would work a lot better.

You're right. What was I thinking. To hell with my original unrestored M38... I'm gonna back half it!!!
ai101.photobucket.com_albums_m68_bullgearinc_pic020.jpg

It's not about money. I guess I just have a little more respect for vintage Jeeps and military vehicles than some people... apparently a whole lot more respect than some others.
Why would you want an M416 to haul a bike in anyway. A $300 Northern Tool trailer would work a lot better.

Nice jeep...there would be alot more of this stuff to appreciate if the Military would not have dumped thousands in the Pacific! Enjoy your stuff the way you want it and let us enjoy ours....Chill out!

It has nothing to do with "Respect" for old stuff.
I have respect for a lot of old classic stuff, but I am also the type guy that sees no reason for an old classic to sit un-used in a garage.. if you have it why not drive it.. you can't take it with you when you die.. and if you are to affraid to drive it then donate it to a museum or something..

in all reality it is to each his own.. some like it Stock/restored.. some like it modified and made better in my opinion

As for why he modified his....Because he could..

here are a few pics showing how it ended up..with matching paint to his YJ and the same size tires so his spare can be for YJ or Trailer

http://www.averdyne.com/jeep/trailer/P1010026.JPG

http://www.averdyne.com/jeep/trailer/notlevel.jpg

http://www.averdyne.com/jeep/trailer/bch10022.jpg

I think you guys did a sweet job on Ralph's trailer! That is how you take something old and make it fresh and functional.:Rockon:

Back