LT1 wrangler

jeepeater2003

i am looking at putting an LT1 into my YJ.
what complications would i run across?

i am also going to get a fuel cell at the same time so what would i do for my fuel pump and lines? could i get a fuel out of tank fuel pump and just plumb up some lines?

should my stock radiator work?

i heard that lt1's have ALOT of sensors and things of the sort. would it still be a good canidate?

any help or write ups would be great.
thanks
tyler

If you ever run through water your ignition (opti-spark) will be toast and they ain't cheap to replace. I looked at pputting on of these in my buggy and decided against it due to the ignition system. You can upgrade it to individual coil packs at each cylinder, but by the time you did that you could have just bought a more modern motor..(LS1, 6.0, LS5 etc...) I ended up with about $2800-3k in my 27k mile LS1 by the time I bought the motor had the computer/harness sorted out and ended up with an all aluminum 400hp motor.
As for the fuel pump get an E2000 pump from auto zone ($75)and you'll have to buy and adjustable regulator from aeromotive ($140) the LS1 runs around 52psi , not sure about an LT1. I'd get an aluminum radiator (Summit $200) and you should be good to go.

were did you get the LS1 from?

i thought about getting just a 350 vortec from like a 97 chevy.
would that be easier and better than LT1?

greg, you had a 4.0 bored and stroked in your old MJ truggy, how would you compare it to your LS1 even though it has 400 hp?
do you think it would be worth it for the switch?

tyler

"i wish i had a 22re", i hear that shit all the time....

that being said, there are pros and cons to both aspects. run the amount of motor you need, but dont overpower, and you don't break parts, run 400 horses, and you better build the rest to the hilt. i can bounce mine off the rev limiter all day, but 120hp doesnt break parts.

but the sound of a small block chevy gives me a puggy, there are few sounds like it.

Cost and ease of installation wise ,building a stroker 6cyl. is the way to go. My 4.6 made way more power than the stock 4.0 and it seemed to be plenty to break all kinds of stuff, the downside it was heavy in comparison to the LS1. If you really wanted a V8 I'd do a 97+ vortech 5.7, lots of people swap them in and they make great power for the cost. LS1's are pretty plentyful and wasn't difficult to put in and get running.

As far as a fuel pump. I use a pump from a datsun 280z they are about $100 new and can be mounted on the frame. they supply plebty of presure and you can get them from any parts store.

Like Big Woody said, the ignition is the downfall......other than that they are a cool ass motor.Other things to think about is GM discontued the LT4 GMPP parts they were manufacturing, so how much longer will they be making LT1 parts? I am a BIG fan of the LT1 and am using one in my next build but an LS1 or a 5.7 Vortech makes a better swap candidate.:huggy:

Back