LS guys, PS ?

XJsavage

CounterCulture
A question for all the mobs of people running LS engines, specifically out of a truck, what are the options for a good proven LS power steering pump for a hydro assist (1.5" bore) application?
There's the obvious PSC but what else is there?
Right now I'm running a stock pump with no mods whatsoever and it seems to be okay, but in 4-wheel drive is not quite as responsive as I'd like it to be which could also be the box, but I figured I'd start upstream and work my way down.

Made any mods to your stock pump to bump up the pressure?

Made any mods to your stock pump to bump up the pressure?
On pumps in years past I've usually drilled out the high pressure port increase the size by about 50%. On this one I did not. Yet.

Any upgraded TC pump should work. Trail Gear, PSC, etc. Responsiveness is probably in the box as the one port flows way less than the other on saginaw boxes.

Any upgraded TC pump should work. Trail Gear, PSC, etc. Responsiveness is probably in the box as the one port flows way less than the other on saginaw boxes.
Yeah, YJ box here, 1/4 npt lines, 1.5x8 SC ram. For road manners it's great. Off-road, I haven't noticed it dragging down terribly, but I've only wheeled 37s aired up to 30psi. With aired down stickies, I can forsee it struggling. Just trying to get some parts ready to throw at it.

AC Delco 20756713 is a newer model Duramax pump that guys have been swapping in the older trucks to be able to turn sitting still with a stock truck. I think it's a 13 vane instead of 11 or something like that. You could also do the fitting drill trick on that and I'd assume it would be even better.

Most of the trucks had a P-pump, I believe. any of the big names have replacements for that. I have read that the CBR or CBR-XR pump are the ones to use now... But they are $$$$. I think some folks are using the Sweet pumps with good success too.

Scotts Custom Offroad gear pump is the way I would go, if you want to spend money on a pump.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/

Here is a good write up I’ve found. I ran mine down to 8psi 38.5x14.50 with a 1.5x8 ram. It did fine, however I’m not locked up front yet. I’m running a stock 87 k5 powersteering pump. When I get some time I plan on upping the pressure slightly after I measure a few things once it’s apart. I do notice it cutting 50-100 rpm or so at idle when steering hard is the only reason why I’m debating on doing this just because I can’t leave stuff alone and I have yet to ask the dude who is going to be tuning my POS in the next few weeks. I’m also thinking of adding a heat sink cooler just for shits and giggles.

Back