LQ9 to NV3500

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
At least for a while, I'll be running this. I'm really kicking myself for selling the NV4500 I just had....

The LQ9 I'm picking up is an 02, the NV3500 (and the truck for that matter) is a 99.

Anyway, after a little looking. I realize there's a difference in crank snout lengths, if that's the proper term, and it's about .400". It seems to be that earlier motors, pre-01, got longer cranks. After that, they used a different flywheel. Since the LQ9 was never offered with a manual, it'll have the shorter crank.

So....it seems that I can use a newer model flywheel such as a Sachs NFW1050. Not sure about the pilot bushing/bearing though. The throwout should be the same.

Any insight on this would be really helpful.

Only 99-00 LQ4s (and 99-00 4.8 with 5 speed) had the longer crank snout that mated to the pre-LS style transmissions, 4l80e, NV3500, and NV4500 without a spacer. ALL LQ9s have the shorter crank, and all 01+ LQ4s (as with all other LS series).

Since you are using a LQ9 with the short snout, use the stock application flywheel for a 01+ 4.8 5speed or a LQ4/NV4500 combo. This is the same flywheel I used to mate my 5.3 to my 67's 3 speed manual. The pilot bushing for the same application should work for you as well.

I picked up the motor today and the clutch/flywheel are on the way. Hopefully, next weekend this thing will be rolling with a 6.0!

Yep. NFW1050. I've been running it for almost six years.

Spec makes a good clutch if you need one stronger than stock. I'm using their Stage 2.5, I believe.

I just did this exact swap on my 99 sierra cammed 05lq9 to nv3500 got it all together and truck wouldn't go into gear while running.im running the 1050 flywheel and I purchased an 01+ clutch kit is that were I meesed up and need a 99-00 kit thanks for any help trucks currently tore back down trying to solve this stupid problem

Nah. You need the later style that comes with the larger, roller bearing style pilot bearing. The early trucks used a needle bearing that was deeper in the snout of the crank.

The distance from the surface of the flywheels is the same, just the recess in the back of the flywheel is different. The pressure plates and discs are probably the same too.

I remember my clutch being a pain to bleed. It likely has something to do with that if you replaced the master or the slave. You pretty much have to bench bleed the master to get all the air out of it.

I've used a vacuum bleeder on the top to pull the air up and out.. used a rubber lid and poked a hose barb through it and attach vacuum pump. Pump away for a few minutes, hold close to full scale vacuum and then release vacuum and it'll suck fluid back in where the air was. Almost never need to bleed at the slave using that method.

Well I had both my old clutch kit and the one laying side by side and measured both in center and they came out to same.the inky thing I didnt change was the slave the plastic new one seemed kinda iffy to me but I put it in and from the way the trans bolted back up it was def putting more pressure than the old metal one was. I'll let u guys know if that was problem after I get it bled up. If not might just go ahead and order an nv4500 from xp I know the nv3500 is gonna be kind of pushed but I've seen both say yea it's good, and no it wont hold up,kinda wana see myself. I'm not gonna be clutch dropping or flat foot shifting it so should be interesting.

My truck makes 320hp and 355 tq to the rear wheels with 4.10s and 37s. Weighs 6100 lbs. The 3500 hasn't missed a beat.

There was a guy on YouTube that did a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and then 8.1 all with the same NV3500. I'd say we're safe.

Only 99-00 LQ4s (and 99-00 4.8 with 5 speed) had the longer crank snout that mated to the pre-LS style transmissions, 4l80e, NV3500, and NV4500 without a spacer. ALL LQ9s have the shorter crank, and all 01+ LQ4s (as with all other LS series).

Since you are using a LQ9 with the short snout, use the stock application flywheel for a 01+ 4.8 5speed or a LQ4/NV4500 combo. This is the same flywheel I used to mate my 5.3 to my 67's 3 speed manual. The pilot bushing for the same application should work for you as well.

Did you use the clutch for the 67 trans with the newer flywheel, or something different?

My truck makes 320hp and 355 tq to the rear wheels with 4.10s and 37s. Weighs 6100 lbs. The 3500 hasn't missed a beat.

There was a guy on YouTube that did a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and then 8.1 all with the same NV3500. I'd say we're safe.
That's good to know I wanted to see for myself how it would hold up. I'm running btr stage 3 cam,lts, intake, I regeared mine this year to 4.56 with yukon locker running 37s the 4.8 was a dog with the 3.73s lol I appreciate your input I should have it all back together tomorrow night so I'll let u guys know how it goes

That's good to know I wanted to see for myself how it would hold up. I'm running btr stage 3 cam,lts, intake, I regeared mine this year to 4.56 with yukon locker running 37s the 4.8 was a dog with the 3.73s lol I appreciate your input I should have it all back together tomorrow night so I'll let u guys know how it goes

Welcome to the forum, glad you found some help here. @Croatan_Kid is the Chevrolet Professor around here.

I appreciate it it's a good forum seems like to me,members don't care to share a little info to help someone out without bunch off smart @** remarks

Haha pretty good folks around here. Searching goes a long way and keeps the smart comments down. It would appear to me if I had to guess, that you were searching about your issue and stumbled on this thread which is what caused you to sign up and respond.
Hang around even when your project is done, this is a great site with some knowledgeable folks.

Haha pretty good folks around here. Searching goes a long way and keeps the smart comments down. It would appear to me if I had to guess, that you were searching about your issue and stumbled on this thread which is what caused you to sign up and respond.
Hang around even when your project is done, this is a great site with some knowledgeable folks.
Yea wasnt whole lot of info out there on this I had actually screenshot this months ago when I was gathering parts and putting engine back together so I figured might as well join maybe be able to pay it forward if someone needs some info on something

I have a knack for figuring out stuff that nobody seems to have ever answered and then posting it on the internet for others to stumble upon....come to think of it. I like sharing information.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

20140516_165750.jpg

Been a little while but the trucks been problem free since the swaps been finished.getting the itch to do a sas to it tho

Attachments

• 20191205_120922.jpg
    20191205_120922.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 198
Hey yall, I'm dropping a 6.0 into my s10 with the nv3500.. I see you guys talk about the nfw1050 flywheel. I have one on the way but im a little lost with the clutch. what clutch are you guys using? any info is greatly appreciated!

I just used the one for my truck's application. I went with a Spec Stg 2.5 after roasting a stock one. Basically any 99-06 Silverado 1500 clutch will work.

I just did a 6.0 to SM465. I did a little research and was supposed to use that SACHS flywheel and a LS3 pilot bearing....but the bearing wouldn't fit. I ended up using the pilot bearing that came with the clutch kit.

Back