low sulfer diesel

orange150

So I filled up this morning, noticed the sticker saying that it now had low sulfer diesel. But what cought my attention was that it said it is illegal by federal law for 2007 model diesels to run the new diesel. I thought that the big three were revamping all their diesels for the low sulfer fuels? whats the deal

Low sulfer fuel is the same stuff they have been selling since 95.

The new stuff is called ultra low sulfer.

Sam(slim)

So I filled up this morning, noticed the sticker saying that it now had low sulfer diesel. But what cought my attention was that it said it is illegal by federal law for 2007 model diesels to run the new diesel. I thought that the big three were revamping all their diesels for the low sulfer fuels? whats the deal

That would be Ultra-low sulfur diesel (less than 15ppm) you pumped this morning, low sulfur diesel (less than 500ppm) was phased out end of 2006.
It probably said it was 'illegal' to run the LSD in '07 vehicles. It would fawk some chit up anyways.

So with the new lower sulfur stuff do us guys with older diesels need to run any additives? This is something I have failed to keep on top of.

Ultra low sulfer = job security for me. This stuff is eating up o-rings and fuel lines on Mercedes, average job for replacing delievery valve o-rings and plastic fuel lines runs about $300. I've been doing about 4 cars a week and they'll be back because all we can do is replace them with the stock o-rings and lines.

Not sure on the Benz...but all cummins replacement rings are designed for ULSD currently...

Also you probably didnt know it but have been running ULSD since april~may..

Most all of the refineries switched over their process then, and no one wanted to incurr the cost of refining,storing,shipping and tracking 2 fuels.

That is also a leading reason why diesel has not followed gas prices down over the last few months. The petro companies have to recoup the process implementation cost.

http://www.ttnews.com/members/topNews/0016935.html
Updated on 2/5/2007 - 8:20:00 AM EST
EPA Boosts Enforcement of ULSD Labeling Rule

The Environmental Protection Agency said it has increased enforcement of its fuel-pump labeling rule after finding that the majority of retail diesel pumps it tested did not display ultra-low-sulfur-diesel labels, even though they were dispensing ULSD.

EPA said that ULSD, required for 2007-model-year heavy trucks, is widely available, but mislabeled pumps could cause a perception that it is not.

“EPA has received complaints from operators of ULSD vehicles that they cannot find pumps that are labeled ULSD,” Dave Ryan, an agency spokesman, said in an e-mail to Transport Topics. “EPA also has received this complaint from at least one company that manufactures diesel cars.”

For the full story, see the Feb. 5 print edition of Transport Topics.
By Andrea Fischer
Staff Reporter

So with the new lower sulfur stuff do us guys with older diesels need to run any additives? This is something I have failed to keep on top of.

IIRC, the Cummins guys with teh VP-44 pumps were suggested to use an additive, since the pump is lubricated by the fuel...

Viva la P7100!

IIRC, the Cummins guys with teh VP-44 pumps were suggested to use an additive, since the pump is lubricated by the fuel...
Viva la P7100!

supposedly the refineries are using a lubricity additive that replaces the sulfur, I haven't seen any facts though.
The fact is that the energy content in ULSD is slighty lower than LSD, but we won't be able to tell driving our pickups back/forth to work.

Viva la P7100!

"Officially" the VP-44 does not "require" any special additive as the overall lubricity of the current fuel has not changed significantly enough to cause operating issues.

This announcement came from the director of service parts sales and engineering not through the normal R&D group though, so take that to mean what you will.

The fact is that the energy content in ULSD is slighty lower than LSD, but we won't be able to tell driving our pickups back/forth to work.

I'm not so sure this is accurate. Fleet wide, we have experienced our worst mileage (automatically calculated via the fleet card program) on record, with averages down between 8-12% on both the most recent sumer blend and winter blend seasons. There is still a significant amount of analysis to determine if this is a result of fuel, the newer trucks ('06) getting reduced mileage, or internal shrinkage. But teh numbers are definitely down, they just show up more in a fleet of 200 diesel trucks than in 1 persons average checking account.

"Officially" the VP-44 does not "require" any special additive as the overall lubricity of the current fuel has not changed significantly enough to cause operating issues.
This announcement came from the director of service parts sales and engineering not through the normal R&D group though, so take that to mean what you will.
I'm not so sure this is accurate. Fleet wide, we have experienced our worst mileage (automatically calculated via the fleet card program) on record, with averages down between 8-12% on both the most recent sumer blend and winter blend seasons. There is still a significant amount of analysis to determine if this is a result of fuel, the newer trucks ('06) getting reduced mileage, or internal shrinkage. But teh numbers are definitely down, they just show up more in a fleet of 200 diesel trucks than in 1 persons average checking account.
Either that or all yer drivers just discovered the skinny pedal?
:D
I'd heard that older diesels were going to take a mileage hit on the new stuff? (hasn't gotten around to getting a diesel truck yet, sooooo it doesn't bother me at all)

Back