Loud humming fuel pump

93redzj

I replaced the fuel pump in my Jeep about 5 months ago, filter looked new at the time so I didn’t replace it. I’ve noticed lately though, there’s an abnormally loud humming noise coming from the fuel pump, I know you’re supposed to be able to hear the pump running, but I can hear it clearly and loudly as I’m in the driver seat. I did a fuel pressure check today, when I turn ignition to “on” the pressure goes up to about 20 then bleeds down, I know this indicates an issue. Running the Jeep runs about 32psi, when I take the hose off the pressure regulator the psi spikes 10psi so that tells me the regulator is good, I guess it’s possible the pump has gone bad? Or should I look at the injectors? There is an extended crank time just about every time I start the Jeep and upon initial start up a slight stumble when you go to accelerate but it goes away right away.

Fuel pumps should be pretty quiet. I had a shitty airtex in my xj that would literally hum so loud after 30 minutes of driving. Put in a new Bosch and it was unnoticeable.

I would source a newer high quality pump and roll on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had issues with airtex pumps.. to the point where I refused to install them.. But quality came up in the last year or two, they're not so bad now. I've had issues with all brands of pumps if the tank was rusty, even with new strainers. And yes change the filter, since it'll be partly clogged and will affect longevity of your new pump if it's restricted.

I think it’s a Delphi in there at the moment, I bought it from autozone, I know you’re supposed to change the filter when doing the pump, the filter looked new, and supposedly a fuel pump had been put in the Jeep shortly before I acquired it, although instead of putting one in with the correct harness on it, they just hard wired it to pump fuel so fuel gauge didn’t register fuel level. I wouldn’t be surprised if the current filter is partially clogged and has shortened the life of my pump. I’ve got a new filter as well so I’ll be changing that out with new pump

That and check for rust in the tank... Filter sock or not on the pump, I never had any luck with longevity on a rusty tank. I went so far as to install a secondary inline pump since the in tank still worked and didn't want to change it. But the inline was noisy af. You could hear it 100 ft away. Under load it got quieter, and I think that was partly due to it being rated to deliver enough fuel to feed 700hp but I definitely had no further low pressure issues.

I’m finally getting around to changing out this fuel pump, my question is, can I cut the red and black wire from the current pump and splice some female ends on the wires to plug into the new pump plug?

Attachments

• B147854B-C488-4555-89D6-CCAF0E5DC1FF.jpeg
    B147854B-C488-4555-89D6-CCAF0E5DC1FF.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 145
  • B521FACD-1C72-4F5B-8E12-6A57A4F6D648.jpeg
    B521FACD-1C72-4F5B-8E12-6A57A4F6D648.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 134
Yes you can just make sure your crimps are good. It's a bitch to go back in if one vibrates loose. I've installed many pumps where they came with a new connection and supplied regular but connector to use in the tank. It'll be fine, no boom.

Yes you can just make sure your crimps are good. It's a bitch to go back in if one vibrates loose. I've installed many pumps where they came with a new connection and supplied regular but connector to use in the tank. It'll be fine, no boom.

cool thanks! Going boom is what I was worried about, even though the current set up had the ring terminals and all, was still suspicious.

cool thanks! Going boom is what I was worried about, even though the current set up had the ring terminals and all, was still suspicious.

Even on an empty tank with the cap on there's not really enough oxygen present to make a boom, spark or not generally. I won't say it'd never happen, but there are more Chevy pickups running around Fayetteville with blue butt connectors in the gas tank than I can count on my fingers or toes, LOL.

Just make sure it's a good crimp. You can't use tape obviously, and most heat shrinks won't stand up to being submerged either.

Even on an empty tank with the cap on there's not really enough oxygen present to make a boom, spark or not generally. I won't say it'd never happen, but there are more Chevy pickups running around Fayetteville with blue butt connectors in the gas tank than I can count on my fingers or toes, LOL.

Just make sure it's a good crimp. You can't use tape obviously, and most heat shrinks won't stand up to being submerged either.
Yeah that’s what I was reading, about the oxygen part. My dad was saying maybe use some sort of gas resistant sealant around the connectors ? I’ve got a tube of gas resistant sealer and gasket maker I was gonna dab a little around the connectors once crimped. Just for extra precaution?

Gas resistant and able to be submerged all the time are 2 different things, I'd leave well enough alone

Fuel is non conductive and non corrosive. No sealants or anything are necessary. Keep the positive wire from electrically touching anything and you're good to go.

Back