Looking to get a new tent

*edit* I actually checked out the Eureka it is a very good tent for its size, it actually packs about as small as my REI 2 man (impressive). I still favor the amount of mesh on the half dome in comparison though.
The pictures may be a little misleading. The 3XTA has basically 3 mesh walls and 1 non-mesh wall. The specs on it seemed too good to be true, but after purchasing it and using it, they are right on.
popup.aspx

... and that's really where the "what are you going to do with it" question comes into play. After I got the 3-man Big Agnes, the REI Half Dome doesn't get used. The quarter dome is super light, good for traveling solo. But you can't fit three or four people into a two-man to play cards in a rainstorm. And if the three-man only weighs 3oz more...?
I've had 3 adult males in the tent an entire rainy weekend, and the weather sucked, but we had all of our gear under the vestibules and we had plenty of room inside.
On another weekend, my best friend and his wife, me and my wife all stayed in it and we were just about shoulder to shoulder, but we fit.

Like everyone has said, know what you want to do with it, then do your research based on that, and you will find something close to what you are looking for. There is always the weight/price/size compromise (pick any 2), but I personally found the 3XTA to be the perfect compromise for me. If you aren't going backpacking with it, then weight isn't a consideration, and you can pretty much get whatever you need for a reasonable price.

I got my Eureka from Camp Mor on a year end deal . It was 1/2 price. I have had water running around my tent at group camp and never got any in the tent .

Are you going to be hiking to the campsite?
Or
Are you going to be getting it out of the truck and setting it up within site of the truck?

Big difference in those types of tents. The first needs to be as light as possible and the other can be bigger and heavier.

Are you going to be hiking to the campsite?
Or
Are you going to be getting it out of the truck and setting it up within site of the truck?
Big difference in those types of tents. The first needs to be as light as possible and the other can be bigger and heavier.

I think if I ever get into backpacking I will buy a one man...JUst seems logical to me for some reason. Maybe not! Really leaning to the kelty gunnison 3.1!!! I like the north face tents too! Anyone have any input there?

I think if I ever get into backpacking I will buy a one man...JUst seems logical to me for some reason. Maybe not! Really leaning to the kelty gunnison 3.1!!! I like the north face tents too! Anyone have any input there?

oops I lied earlier. I have the Kelty Gunnison 2.1 not 3.1 but everything is the same except the footprint and weight obviously. I looked at North Face tents and they are good quality but to me, not worth the money unless you are doing several backpacking trips a year.
If you are backpacking solo, it makes sense to have a solo tent, but if you are with another person, it is usually less weight if you split the tent up with 1 or 2 other people than a solo is for one person. For instance, one person gets the polls and fly, another the tent, and another the stakes and groundcloth if you are using one. Another thing to consider, if backpacking, is that you keep your backpack and gear outside of your tent so you have a good amount of room to play with inside.

The thing that will help you the most if you really want to buy good gear and know that it is really what you need is to understand how things are constructed. If you know more about what you are looking at you will be able to make a better decision. It is important to understand some basics about fabrics and insulation. You also need a good idea of what your specific needs are, based on season, location, and your own physiology.
Anyway, cheaptents.com will show you their camping tents and gear you can use. They are also offering the cheapest but the best tents in town.

I bought a Kelty 4-man (don't remember the name of it) about 4 years ago and it has held up nicely. I did seam-seal it the first time I took it out of the package and it has stayed rain-resistant although I do not use it but a few times a year. The floor is light-weight so I use a heavy tarp instead of a footprint. Sets up in just a few minutes without any assistance.

Back