looking to buy a Dodge (used)

maulcruiser

Well, Ross Jeep here in Boone has an 02 2500 Ram I was interested in buying. It's extended cab, 4x4, Cummins, and the 5600 with 55K miles on it. They are asking 26K for it, but I'm confident I could get it cheaper. It could use a new set of tires, but otherwise the truck seems solid. There's been some seepage of some sort of oil around what looks to be the power steering pump. The tailgate has two dents in it, but the rest of the body is clean.

I test drove it yesterday and it was amazing. I've never had the opportunity to drive a Cummins backed by a manual. The power was on time and felt great.

Now, is this a good deal or should I keep looking?

Dodge

I bet you could get a new one around 30K/32K. Seems like a lot for a 4 yr old truck.

You could get an '03 for that... and you'll be VERY impressed with the power on that one...

NADA retail on that truck is $25,750. trade-in is 22,500, assuming it's a SLT with power driver's seat and a CD player. I'd start the bidding at 20.

FYI, I looked at that truck and the 04 they have on the lot. Both beds are beat up pretty bad and they were not moving on the prices. Plus, I caught them in several lies, including a very transparent bait and switch on the price of the 04. So be careful.

The upside is the 02 still has about a year and a half or 46k of engine warranty remaining. If you can get them down to 23-24 it would be worthwhile. Also, I ran a carfax report on it and it has a clean history.

Back