Looking for ideas on a light tow rig *I have my eyes on one, post #41

maulcruiser

I have recently purchased a SXS, and my poor little Tacoma doesn't like to haul it. Could be something wrong with the Tacoma, but I know I'm taxing it's abilities, so here's where I turn to first. Practically all I have ever driven is either an 80's model GM, a Tacoma, a 4x2 2012 F150 RC SB w/5.0, or a 6.0 equipped F250/F450. I don't need anything with a diesel due to the premium cost, maintenance, and not owning anything large to validate owning one, so I'm looking at a 1/2 ton, or gasoline equipped 3/4 ton truck. I'm also looking into something along the lines of a Yukon. Whatever I buy, it needs to be 4x4 and used, roughly in the $10K range. I don't need all the bells and whistles, and would like to stay around 100K in miles.

I am anti Dodge, and kind of on the fence with Ford (my dad may disown me if I buy one...Haha!). That said, I wasn't overly impressed with the 5.0 F150, but the 4x4 gearing may make it better than the 4x2 I've been behind the wheel of. I did like the power and noise that engine provides, but it's a thirsty truck for a two wheel drive.

What says the people here? If it needs to go to the towing forum, would the mods please move it? I was trying to reach a larger audience here. Thanks!

^^^ thanks for the referral!

Yep...buy mine! 2006 F250 Superduty Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4

I am 50-50 on keeping it vs. replacing right now. If it sells ASAP here on NC4x4, I'll pick up a newer truck. Otherwise, it does all I need.

Dropping price on it by $1000, though...so it's all yours for $8850!!!!

Last edited:
What year was is your Tacoma I had a 2011 double cab with the 4.0 and it towed great with way more then a sxs what kind of trailer are you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you are right, wiki says the second gen. came with a 6.0l in the 1500 though.....the yukon denali also came with the 6.0l, I think they only came in 2wd or Awd though.

You are right, the 8.1l is way to much for light duty work.

This is the correct answer. End thread.

Good luck finding a 4wd burb with under 100k miles for anything close to $10k.....most used suburbans I see all have well north of 150k on the clock by the time they hit the market.....$5k gets you a clean 200k mile rig.....(that is probably being punted because it needs a trans.)

^^^ thanks for the referral!

Yep...buy mine! 2006 F250 Superduty Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4

I am 50-50 on keeping it vs. replacing right now. If it sells ASAP here on NC4x4, I'll pick up a newer truck. Otherwise, it does all I need.

Dropping price on it by $1000, though...so it's all yours for $8850!!!!

I did see that the other day, and I've been thinking on messaging you.

How much does SxS and trailer weigh?

The trailer weighs 1000 pounds (Big Tex 35SA), and the SXS in factory form is close to 1500, but with the accessories, probably closer to 1700.

I'm currently driving a 96 Tacoma w/3.4L, 5 speed, lifted, aftermarket bumpers, 285/70's and 4.88 gears. It will pull it and stop it since I did the Tundra front brake upgrade, but it isn't happy with it at all. It burned a full tank of fuel in 140 miles on the interstate TRYING to maintain 70 in the slightly hilly area between W/S and Sanford. I've been unloading all of my older GM trucks to make room for something more modern, this is just simply forcing my hand. I didn't want a newer vehicle, but it has to happen.

Also, I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I was injured at the FD yesterday, so now I'm rocking crutches and a boot on my left foot.

I did see that the other day, and I've been thinking on messaging you.

The trailer weighs 1000 pounds (Big Tex 35SA), and the SXS in factory form is close to 1500, but with the accessories, probably closer to 1700.

I'm currently driving a 96 Tacoma w/3.4L, 5 speed, lifted, aftermarket bumpers, 285/70's and 4.88 gears. It will pull it and stop it since I did the Tundra front brake upgrade, but it isn't happy with it at all. It burned a full tank of fuel in 140 miles on the interstate TRYING to maintain 70 in the slightly hilly area between W/S and Sanford. I've been unloading all of my older GM trucks to make room for something more modern, this is just simply forcing my hand. I didn't want a newer vehicle, but it has to happen.

Also, I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I was injured at the FD yesterday, so now I'm rocking crutches and a boot on my left foot.

Could always look into a TRD Supercharger :D

Back