Looking for GOOD FORD engine person

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Hey all,

I am looking for a Good FORD engine builder...

I want to have someone that build perfromance engines to look at my 460 and see if we can tune it a little better...

Thanks
Ken C

EFI 460?

No, not really. The maps are all hard-coded in the computer. The intake and exhaust are strangling the hell out of it. If you're willing to pull the heads and intake and put something a little more free-breathing on there (or extrude hone the lower intake, ditch the gooseneck, and port the hell out of the heads (incl. maybe an undercut exh valve or just bigger valves), you might be a bit happier with it. But then you're going to need a custom MAF setup to run it then.

Might just try sticking a straight-up timing chain on it for now. That can only help.....

Maybe sell it and get a diesel.... the diesel markup would easily cover what money you're going to put into the gasser.

Ah, I thought this was in that white truck.

That 79 should roll pretty well with some TLC. :beer:

saf-t scissors said:
Ah, I thought this was in that white truck.

That 79 should roll pretty well with some TLC. :beer:

Oh yea. You can easily get that thing screamin.

pull it and rebuild it, thats the fun part ;)

StudNuts said:
some SCJ heads would be hot :smokin:

The thunder jets are 9 to 1, the SCJ's are 10.5. A bit hot for a truck motor. Port configuration is the same but slightly larger combustion chambers in the t-jets and slightly larger valves in the cj's. I get the feeling the cj's would get grumpy and hot on a long hard pull inna truck. Unless you went to a inverted dome piston in the bottem end at got it parked around 9 to 1. :D

anybody have the ability to just tune a carb?

I bought Ken's truck yesterday...and it runs a little rich...

if you put it in P before turning it off, it dumps enough gas at idle to backfire when you turn it off...

if you turn if off when it's in gear, then put it in P, then remove the keys, it does just fine...

not sure if he can just be tuned, or needs a rebuild...

the 460 TBI kit keeps taunting me, but I'd rather just get the carb looked at...

Greg

I can probably tune it but your a bit far for just a carb adjustment. I know ford engines fairly well. One thing you might want to look at is Napas reman carbs, they are pretty cheap and come assembled and tuned, just bolt on. Or you could go buy the Haynes manual.

just bring your tools to DPG...:D

I might check to see what NAPA has them priced at...do they just go by motor size?

it's a '92 F-250, but Ken said to just tell them it's a '79 with a 460...so I could just tell them that and take the carb?

Thanks.
Greg

get you a set of 1970 DOVE heads, a good cam and intake that work off idle to about 6,000 rpm & a good carb. this should make a lot of torque and around 450 hp and be very dependable.

I'm really looking to just get the carb running right...but in case I decide to go any deeper, what exact are 1970 DOVE heads? I got the 1970 and heads figured out, just not sure what DOVE refers to...

Greg

are you positive it's the carb? backfiring/diesling at shut off can be timing also...

RufusTheRam said:
are you positive it's the carb? backfiring/diesling at shut off can be timing also...

nope, not positive at all...

just going on what Ken said...

I'll have to find somebody with a timing light and see what we can check quick...pretty sure Andy has one...

any idea what it should be set to?

Greg

OK...searched a bit on the DOVE heads and found this:

That's what mine is, and your c9ve heads (1969) or dove (1970) heads are very desirable. They have small combustion chambers. I think they are around 50cc's compared to 80 or so on the later smog motors. (1971 and up) Mine was factory rated about 380hp/ 485lb./ft.

Also like neverenough said- D O V E

D=1970's decade
0=year 0 of that decade
V=lincoln
E=engine part

so now that I know that...do I just have to find factory heads in a junkyard? or can you buy aftermarket "dove" heads?

how 'bout these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/429-...33617QQitemZ8044542593QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

any intake recommendations? Summit has a boatload for this motor...but I don't even know where to start...I just want it to pull without thinking :D

Greg

also went back and read some of the earlier stuff on this topic...

saw Thunderjet mentioned, and best I can find that was the heads on the Thunderbird from maybe '68-'71?

and found this:

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/casting-numbers-descriptions-1-index.html

keep on spouting the info, and any sources to find these kinds of items...

also looking for cam recommendations...found a few:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/460-...044416873QQcategoryZ33614QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp...042613458QQcategoryZ33614QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp...042642198QQcategoryZ33614QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (starts at 1200 RPM)

Greg

I dunno that I'd mess with putting DOVE heads on it. You're starting towards a slippery slope where you're going to end up dropping boatloads of cash into that motor before you know what's happening.

Check the timing chain for starters. If it's still got a retarded chain on it, pull that off and put a straight-up chain on. See how you like that.

saf-t scissors said:
I dunno that I'd mess with putting DOVE heads on it. You're starting towards a slippery slope where you're going to end up dropping boatloads of cash into that motor before you know what's happening.

Check the timing chain for starters. If it's still got a retarded chain on it, pull that off and put a straight-up chain on. See how you like that.

finally...the "good" angel on my shoulders...:D

the other "good" one is making sure I don't spend over 50% of what I paid for the truck to do the TBI conversion...

what will swapping the chain do? (I assume a "retarded" chain retards the timing? much like some of the electronic timing retard items you use with boosted applications?)

...and how can I tell which kind it has?

Greg

You can buy a set of Edelbrock 460 RPM's and have a better head than a good working over on a set of DOVE's. Started to go that way till my machine shop said it was about 300 dollars worth of work on just the valve guides and seats to run a cam over .500" Lift. I was going to have about 1300 dollars in cast iron doves that flow alot less than out of the box RPM's for 1600.

Back