Looking for advice, with Pics

sapper

Okay i put the WD together and for one its not low enough for the trailer to sit level without a load?? My truck is a stock 2WD, anyway, take a look and tell me if there is anything bad or could be better. TIA. Oh yea, has anyone welded there clamps for the chains to the trailer? Mine are held on with one bolt and dont look to good?

2883Apr03_01.JPG

2883Apr03_05.JPG

2883Apr03_06.JPG

2883Apr03_02.JPG

check your tounge weight and make sure you have enough, how much does your truck come down as pictured above? if truck is ok, try more tounge weight.

Looks like it, but it's worth asking.. Did you load the rig, THEN set the WD chains? IIRC, that's the way it's supposed to be setup, but I haven't used a WD setup... (Just went for the overkill tow rig :p )

I wouldn't say to pull your K5 further forward, as you don't want to overload your tongue...

Is it possible to get a drawbar with more drop capability in it?

I'm surprised a 2wd is high enough to max out the drawbar...

I know you don't want to lift the trailer any, but ya might have to, about 1" or so, if you can't resolve the drawbar height.

Rich said:
Looks like it, but it's worth asking.. Did you load the rig, THEN set the WD chains? IIRC, that's the way it's supposed to be setup, but I haven't used a WD setup...

That's not what the instructions for my WD setup said. Not sure if they would differ, but this is the process mine gave me:

1. Hook up the trailer and lock on the tow ball.
2. Use the trailer jack to raise the ball approx. 3".
3. Set the leveling arms at the recommended chain height and lock them in.
4. Lower the trailer to release the trailer jack.
5. Load the trailer.

I'm not sure what to do about leveling your trailer Sapper, other than finding a longer shank that would allow for a little more drop. It does look like your WD arms are at more of an angle than mine, when loaded. Your hitch should have some adjustment to correct that, though.

Not sure where you got your setup, but you may want to check out the following site:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp

They've got a bunch of good towing info and they have pretty good tech support if you bought your stuff from them.

Jeff

1-Get lower drop draw bar.
2-You need more downward angle in the ball mount. There should be shims between the ball mount and the draw bar. I believe the five is the max # of shims (hardened washers) that you can have. The ball mount should tilt downward slightly.
3-When loaded you should never need more than 4 links dangling. If you need more than 4 you should angle the ball mount down farther. One I got mine right I tack welded the ball mount to the draw bar. If I need to remove it or adjust it I just grind off the weld.
4-I have my chain clamps bolted on with 3 bolts on each side.

Next time I hitch up I will take a couple of pics of mine.

Back