Looking for a STRONG Chemical rust remover

05Coly

My Fiance and I are rebuilding an '81 Chevy K10 shortbed for her from the frame up and have a '80 2wd body were swapping on as the 81 K10 body was in pretty bad shape. The back half of the frame has a good bit of tough rust and my little 5 gallon sandblaster in the driveway is going to take a LONG time to clean it up. So i'm looking into some Chemical rust removers but need one that is going to be strong enough to take this rust off. Anyone have any recommendations for this? Eastwood has an OxiSolv product that I thought looked promising but am not sure how strong it is. The little squirt bottles they sell at advance auto with the reddish gel in them didn't seem to do much even after letting it sit about half an hour.

Wire wheel all the big areas and sandblast the tight spots. That works far better than any rust solvent that Ive used.

Its pretty hard to get into the inside of the frame rails, but I guess if I wire wheeled the outsides it would be too bad. Actually you know what would make that a lot easier, just take the frame off the axles and lay it on its side, the rear is already disconnected, just would have to un-do steering linkage and front springs.

Somebody mentioned just using Por 15 and coating over that, which is a rust converter apparently.

i wire wheeled the crap outa the back end of my short bed frame, it was kinda tedious but well worth it. I had one serious rust hole too.
ai15.photobucket.com_albums_a393_mgbolton_Truck_Rear_DSCF0073.jpg

ai15.photobucket.com_albums_a393_mgbolton_Truck_Rear_100_0289.jpg

ai15.photobucket.com_albums_a393_mgbolton_Truck_Rear_DSCF0178.jpg

This truck came from the mountains, were having some new front spring hangers fabbed up because the old ones were rusted out so badly, the hard part with the wire wheeling is going to be the big pits on the top where the wire wheel may not get into, but we'll see. Time to buy some wire wheels and work the compressor a little bit I guess :D

orange150 said:
make sure to get the braided wheels, and the paint i used was some Rustoleum "Rust Performer" or somethign like that... from Lowes

I'm going to be using a spray gun with a paint and adding some hardener to it to make sure it lasts a long time. This is gonna be a nice truck once were done with it. We got some paint from tractor supply and put hardener in it for the foot on our boat and it has held up pretty well. Also used on the bumper for my 85 K10.

Naval Jelly
works pretty good. Its been years since I've used it though

I got mine at Flowers Auto Parts (NAPA) in Hickory

yea try naval jelly, ive used it on a bunch of resto projects weve had goin on here. Wear Gloves, it burn the shit out of your skin where ever i t touches

tacobuggy101 said:
yea try naval jelly, ive used it on a bunch of resto projects weve had goin on here. Wear Gloves, it burn the shit out of your skin where ever i t touches

Oh yeah, I'll never forget that....:D

Guranteed you'll only do it once:D

Save yourself some time (LOTS OF TIME)

Robbins Sandblasting & Auto
(336) 788-3500

they open about 9:30 and close about 5:30

I would GUESS $100 (they did my whole jeep for $250) but WELL worth it

I too tried to do it with my little sandblaster and after 4 days, 25lbs of media and only getting about a single sqft done, I anti'd up and took it over to robbins

They're just on the other side of 52 from you on I-40 off clemmonsville rd exit (old 311)

Back