Lookin at a late 90's powerstroke.

TheGeneral

Im about tired of payin this new truck payment so I think im going to go back to a late 90's F250 Diesal. Ive seen several in my price range but Im worried about buying one and it needing serias work as soon as I get it. So what is a lot of miles for these things, do the trans have any chronic problems (last used truck I bought blew a tranny after a week and a half, ended up costing half what the truck was worth) and what kind of stuff should I look for when buying one? oh yeah, and about what kind of fuel mileage should I expect to get out of this thing? Thanks for the input yall.

I had a 99 f350 for a while for a work truck, was a great truck, only problems I ever had with it were keeping front brakes on it and the turbo died at about 160k. (impeller was toast) Got rid of the truck at 180k and it still ran as strong as ever, Rich rode in it when I towed his cruiser for him. He can vouch that even for a work truck loaded down and weighing in at about 9k pounds it still tugged my 16ft flatbed with his cruiser on it down the road just fine.

Yeah, but that turbo whine was KILLING me! :D

From when I was looking for a truck, there's a HUGE price gap between '98 and '99 when the "superDuty" came out...

Yeah, especially since there weren't any 98MY Ford F250HD or F350s. ;)

Yeah Im lookin at the old body style. I like the looks better and the five grand less on the price tag from a 99. Can you still you still get all those power programers and stuff for the older body style?

Back