Logic or insanity - LS build

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
So I am fighting with something here. My Trans Am had a built LQ9 in it. Stock rotating assembly, hypereutectic flattop pistons .02 over, iron block. Mild build on the heads and a good mild cam. Was making enough power to smoke the 530 rwtq clutch. I was driving right through it. Well, the cam tunnel ended up not being completely concentric and ate up the cam bearings. It is back out of the car and I'm going to be rebuilding it.

Initially I thought I'd have the cam tunnel line honed and replace the bearings. I was having the heads CNC ported and reworked to be pretty badass and have a lot healthier cam going in it.

Well, got a good deal on an LS2 shortblock, so my plans are starting to change a bit. Here's my quandry.

Do I get the Ls2 block cleaned up and use my rotating assembly in it....or do I part out both shortblocks, keep the LS2 block and go with a 4.00" stroker crank? Yeah, more expensive, but it is all forged which will help with the spray I'm throwing at it.

The car can take it. It now has a Monster triple disc clutch that is rated for like 1200 rwtq so clutch is ok. Also has a strong Moser 9", built Tick T56, all tubular suspension, blah blah blah. Car is built to go fucking fast. It is also mostly a street car though.

Just not sure if it is worth the money. Of course, if I do the stroker the car will pretty much be maxed out with what I want to do with it. Dammit, so torn.

Stroker.

Stock LS rotating assemblies have been holding up to 1000+hp. I don't see the need to put a forged unit "to help with nitrous". That said, if you want to build a stroker, that's a different topic.
Do what makes you feel good.
It's just money, can't take it with you.

You've obviously already dumped a lot of money into the rest of the car to make it top end, now isn't the time to try and save a few sheckles...

When you say with the Stroker the car will be maxed out, isn't that where you'er going to end up eventually anyway?

Save money and use what you have.

If it were me I'd prob fix the lq9 block and slowly build the stroker ls2. That way if you accidentallyo_O spray to much on the lq and make it into kibbles and bits you'll have the ls2 to toss in.

If it were me I'd prob fix the lq9 block and slowly build the stroker ls2. That way if you accidentallyo_O spray to much on the lq and make it into kibbles and bits you'll have the ls2 to toss in.
I am so done with taking the engine out of this car, what goes in hopefully stays.

Just not sure if it is worth the money.
It's never, ever "worth the money".

The important questions are:
- how bad do you want it?
- How strong is your marriage?
:D

It's never, ever "worth the money".

The important questions are:
- how bad do you want it?
- How strong is your marriage?
:D

Like my wife says, she's given up wanting to know what goes on down at my shop. :lol:

Junkyard 5.3 and a turbo kit, make more power then spending all that money and spraying it. And you get the boost all the time!
Trying to get a little weight off the front, not add to it! And a turbo kit would cost way more than a stroker kit in the end.

I know lots of people run 4" strokes but that little wrist pin spacer thing on the oil ring bothers me. I would run a 3.9" crank. I just sold my second 6.0 a while back and Ive never built one so my opinion is just that.

I am so done with taking the engine out of this car, what goes in hopefully stays.

You just answered your own question. Dump all them marbles at once and be done with it!
Make a monster that makes you giggle just looking at it.

Back