Load Range E Tires on 1/2 Ton Truck

ncsutj

Looking at new tires for my 13 1500 Silverado and looking hard at the Cooper AT3. Cooper has a $70 mail in rebate and discount tire has a $75 rebate right now. Stock tire is a 265/65R18 but I will probably step up to a 265/70R18. They only make a 275/65R18 in a load range C and everything else is E. Is a load range E tire over kill for a 1/2 ton truck that only tows my Jeep wrangler maybe 6 times a year? Is the unloaded ride going to be stiff? I have no experience with range E tires. They will be mounted on the stock rims.

265/70R18 for $169/tire
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Last edited:
We bought the at3 for my wife's xterra and love them. I will buy them next for my tow rig.

I wouldn't be hesitant to use load range e on half ton at all. Just use a much lower air pressure to get even wear when not towing. This will greatly improve the ride empty. Just pump them up to 65-70 (for e) when towing.

3rd set (load range c though) on the exploder

10182_10151528106812638_202119584_n.jpg

GREAT road manners, and I've yet to get stuck in sand, mud, wet grass, or even pulling my car hauler up out of the woods behind the house in a downpour (read: I COVERED the trailer in mud throwing rooster tails at it, but made it up that massive hill pulling a trailer)

I get about 35-40k out of them depending on if I'm diligent in keeping the alignment correct :shaking: (friggin independent suspension)

Last edited:
Running 295/70R17 E range Toyo RT's on a 16 Silverado. It has a trailer behind it 2-3 days a week. They are heavier so it hit my mileage, but with just shy of 20k miles on them they are barely worn into the main tread block.

The RT has this little raise portion of the block on a new tire and they are barely worn past that with 20k on them.
Toyo_OpenCountry_RT_Detailed_Tread_watermarked.jpg

We run 10 ply LT tires on all of our 1500's at work. I have Michelin LTX AT2 on mine now, load range E. I also have e tires on my 2dr JK. Just run at normal 32-35 psi and not at 80 like the dumbass tire tech puts them at.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Regardless of tire correct pressure insures even tread wear if alignment is good. You will like the E tires when towing due to stiffer sidewalls. Your stock rims may not be rated for 80 psi but your springs won't handle the weight capable of E tires at 80 psi. Ride quality can be improved with adjustable shocks. I just bought some B tires for my 2500 to be used mostly on beach because they air down and squat easily. I have to put the E tires back on for towing.

3rd set (load range c though) on the exploder

View attachment 249760

GREAT road manners, and I've yet to get stuck in sand, mud, wet grass, or even pulling my car hauler up out of the woods behind the house in a downpour (read: I COVERED the trailer in mud throwing rooster tails at it, but made it up that massive hill pulling a trailer)

I get about 35-40k out of them depending on if I'm diligent in keeping the alignment correct :shaking: (friggin independent suspension)
3rd set of at3's?

Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger last night and ordered them. They will be here Monday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not normally a fan of big chain tire purchases myself. I prefer to support my local guy...but I'm VERY glad @Jason W. purchased from Discount tire! He had issues with some recent purchased tires on the Moab trip. We called ahead and found a discount tire less than 100 yards off 40 a few miles ahead of us and stopped to have the problem corrected. A little over an hour and a half later we were back on the road with 4 new tires. BIG props to Discount tire on that one!

Not normally a fan of big chain tire purchases myself. I prefer to support my local guy...but I'm VERY glad @Jason W. purchased from Discount tire! He had issues with some recent purchased tires on the Moab trip. We called ahead and found a discount tire less than 100 yards off 40 a few miles ahead of us and stopped to have the problem corrected. A little over an hour and a half later we were back on the road with 4 new tires. BIG props to Discount tire on that one!

Did he purchase the replacement/protection plan? Or was it defect related

Note on protection plan at discount. Was with son at discount and when they asked him if he wanted the plan I said NO the guy quickly said "what about at half price?" And the answer was yes.

FWIW, I ran E rated tires at 50 psi on a Suburban and had very distinctive tire wear on the outside tread greater than the middle tread. Also, it's creepy to load a tire up to 80 psi.

FWIW, I ran E rated tires at 50 psi on a Suburban and had very distinctive tire wear on the outside tread greater than the middle tread. Also, it's creepy to load a tire up to 80 psi.

Did it all the time on my 2500s when towing. 75-80psi kept those tires from squirming!

Back