Lil-Pete Camper

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
ill start a new thread to not wreck Kens nice camper / truck pics... [i had looked to go that route and couldnt find one nice/cheep enough and that didnt weight alot]

Long story even longer, Basically one road trip I was 'thinking' about my camping situation and some solutions. Root Problem was sleeping arangements. I liked camping just not the tent, i even dont mind the cooking aspect as thats usually on the fire/grill and under my canopy. I thought about the options RVs, Bus, slid in, pop up, (JB A-liner'ish), id seen a few toy box campers. But didnt like the $ nor size etc.. I've even seen the low buck, slide in on the front of a trailer... to much/big for me... Then it hit me as a semi passed me :) Some internet research and i discovered these things are as varried as a jeep... So many styles options, sizes, etc.. prices ranged from free to 2l or more all depending on size, condiiton etc..

Plan was to locate one and attach it to the front of my trailer. About 6 months later while in NY i was able to locate this jem, its a 63" peterbuilt low top sleeper. Typically somehting you see on an older model car transporter. I gave $450 for it.

I was able to sell the fiberglass wing that came with it for $90. Its an all aluminum construction with a fiberglass 'lid' on top. The interior is in good shape ill keep the headliner and walls as intact as i can...

I found a nice tinted (used) RV window on ebay for $35 and started fabing, got some sheet alum. and enclosed the large open 'pass through' that would normally attach to the cab to what is now the window.

I already have the steel and plans to lengthen my trailer tounge out to set this box on. It only weighs about 400lbs as 4 people can lift it up. Need to flip/reverse the doors so that can't accidently open going down the road... Basically at this point it can be finished the same as any camper etc.. I have a small flip up step to put on. Plan to add a small pedistal table inside... Its rough now but can 'rough' it on the floor till i work on it some...

Need ot get heep done first...

Attachments

• camper01.jpg
    camper01.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 882
That's pretty cool Yager ! Nice score ! You'll like it even more after you've added all the amenities you want. Heat and AC are REALLY nice to have. A deep cycle battery or two with an inverter os a nice way to go. Go can have it charge/run off of the tow vehicle when it's plugged to it. (Aliner works that way). That way, if ya get a fridge, it will stay cold while traveling down the road. Kinda excited for Mike ya !
JB

Ya that is awesome.... Reason I took this slide in was because it is very light weight (1210lbs) full of gear and water.... they usually weight 2000lbs to 3000lbs so I was excited... but I gotta admit 400Lbs would be even better :)

BRUISER said:
Ya that is awesome.... Reason I took this slide in was because it is very light weight (1210lbs) full of gear and water.... they usually weight 2000lbs to 3000lbs so I was excited... but I gotta admit 400Lbs would be even better :)

Yup, they can be heavy. Mine is 1800# "empty" Guessing 2000# with my gear, 3 -12v batteries (will last a weekend), 40 gallons of water, fridge full of nice cold beverages...

lomodyj said:
Yup, they can be heavy. Mine is 1800# "empty" Guessing 2000# with my gear, 3 -12v batteries (will last a weekend), 40 gallons of water, fridge full of nice cold beverages...

Water is 8 1/2 lbs per gallon. 320lbs for 40 gallons
Batteries I'd say 45lbs(depending on type/size 135lbs
beverages, hmmmm depends on thirst say 20lbs??

So maybe somewhere closer to 2200lbs

this is from before i removed the bed and clostets. It had a regular twin matress in there...

walls are about 2" thick so roughly 59" x92" (~5'x8' outside)

The blue velour wall and headliner will stay and ill panel where needed..

Its not super but so definitly 1 person or a couple max.. Im sure you guys will see it eventually, prolly mid summer..

Attachments

• camper-inside1.jpg
    camper-inside1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 781
You're not planning to put the window facing the front (facing the tow rig) are you?

Might wanna revisit that if so.....think of road debris from the tow rig flying up and popping that glass. Hence why motor homes that have a car in tow usually cover the headlights and windshield, and cargo trailers have diamond plate on the front face.

I LOVE the concept though

Don't forget the "cheesy lights" Yager, if ya want to be in the "IN" crowd at camp. Plus it makes it real easy to find your way home after the campfire.
JB

Cheesy_lights.jpg

I didnt want to polute kens thread, but ya i saw a few sleepers that were cheeper to buy and there was a vast difference in condition, when removed from a truck they are basically open to the eliments, and the interior are similer to a car and it doenst take much for things to rot and bees and varments to get in there...

yager said:
I didnt want to polute kens thread, but ya i saw a few sleepers that were cheeper to buy and there was a vast difference in condition, when removed from a truck they are basically open to the eliments, and the interior are similer to a car and it doenst take much for things to rot and bees and varments to get in there...

The one located at my shop is is fair shape and the interior is still savable right now. I gotta get in touch with Sammi_Davis about weather he wants to sell it. The value of the aluminum scrap is probably worth right much. Let me know if you know of anyone that may want it. Thanks.

Mike,
You probly thought of this already....but its not too late to get Ken's mobil home axles! You could fab up a dolly and winch it onto the back of your trailer! 400 lb seems like a lot of extra weight for the tongue. Course you'll needa winch for the trailer. Then again, someone might drag you around the campground in the middle of the night!

actually the plan is to add a weight distrobuting hitch ill be good upto 1k toung. After i lengthen the trailer i can adjust toung with jeep placment... I am plannign to up the trailer axles to handle the load with more safty factor...

As far as off loading the camper, if got some jacks in mind. They will stick in from each corner. They will clear the trailer wheel stick out and ill be able to jack it high enought to drive the trailer under it... mainly so its not sitting... on the trailer all the time..

yager said:
actually the plan is to add a weight distrobuting hitch ill be good upto 1k toung. After i lengthen the trailer i can adjust toung with jeep placment... I am plannign to up the trailer axles to handle the load with more safty factor...

As far as off loading the camper, if got some jacks in mind. They will stick in from each corner. They will clear the trailer wheel stick out and ill be able to jack it high enought to drive the trailer under it... mainly so its not sitting... on the trailer all the time..

You got it pretty well covered then! cheers. :beer:

Hey Mike, I like the way that you think. ;)

03.jpg

This is one that I am still building on. I have quite a way to go, but it will be cool and I won't ever have to sleep on the cold hard ground again. :smokin:

Bryan

Back