Let's help out a fellow wheeler

Ive only been on the forum for a little while...lots of reading up and seeing who you guys are.....but I have already learned that you guys really are the best. This is a community of friends.

Id be more that happy to help as much as I can.

chris

As asked in the other thread, more than happy to use my paypal account (setting up a new one takes forever / new bank account, etc)

But I don't have any other transactions going on right now, we closed our ebay store a couple months back.

For those interested in sending money, my email address (for paypal purposes) is:

sammyh
AT
triad.rr.com

Please designate on there KC4x4 FUND

I do / can take CREDIT cards as needed, paypal simply gives me the NET amount.

[I will be asking a few questions behind the scenes / suggestions...before bringing them up here]

For those wanting to send via SNAIL mail:

C/O Triad HelpDesk
3900C Battleground Ave #189
Greensboro, NC 27410

I can't afford a killer buggy, but I'll be in touch with Sammy.

Kevin stepped up and navigated me to a "podium" spot at the URE cross race. :huggy:

Kevin, I hope the best for Melissa and you.

Wow! I just saw this. I dont know what to say.................I guess I'll let everyone know what has happened. Back in late march, Melissa was starting to get ick on stomach. Then it turned into all day and night sickness. She could not eat or drink and keep it down, eaither throwing up or diareah. A week or so of this and she had to go to the doctor. Classic symptoms of gall stones but as usual quick moneymaker for hospitals. Well they decided to call it that.

After some x-rays they wanted to do the surgery right away. After looking at the x-rays the also found a tumor on her left hip. Didn't know if it was cancer, but they needed to do the gall bladder surgery first. Well after the gall bladder surgery her sickness seemed to get even worse. Couldn't even hold down water. About 2 weeks later she was admitted into baptist hospital in Winston, they wanted to remove the tumor, even if she was sick.

The day of the surgery came and they went in. The tumor was attached to the hip bone, (not what they expected) they had to cut it off and grind the bone till they reached healthy bone. In doing so they had ground a large hole through the hip and came to see me in the waiting room. They wanted to do a bone graph and I agreed. The next day the doctor came to see us and told us the hip would not hold.

They needed to put a titanium plate and screws in but the current surgery neded to heal first. The next week was tough. I had to work and traveled to Winston every night. The hip surgery seemed to make the original sickness the worst it had ever been. She was dangerously low in nutrition and very dehydrated. Doctors couldn't find the problem and still didn't know if the tumor was cancer. Couple days past and the first good news came in. It was not cancer.

Her st in Baptist consisted in 22 days. Still her nutrition very low the insurance company convinced the doctors she didn't need to be there. Two more weeks past as she stayed at her mothers house as she had to have 24 hour care. confined to bed and wheelchair with bedside toilet. Starting to feel better, the doctors wanted to do the plate. Another week and back to baptist.
Surgery went well and as planned. They got her up and walking right away.

By this time she was skin and bone and weighed in at 94 lbs. Another 6 days in the hospital. Finally came home with the same 24 hour care for 2 weeks. She didn't make it 2 days at home. Very Very sick. She wanted to just give up and die. This was tough. I called Baptist and since it was past buisness hours they told me not to bring her to them. I finally decided to take her to the local emergency room. They admitted her there. I think this was her lowest point. 91lbs.

They had her for another week and a half. Battling her nutrition was a tough go. They found out she was alergic (sp) to wheat. Let me tell you wheat and gain is in almost everything.They decided to put in a feeding tube. Liquid nutrition bypassing the stomach. Insurance again wanted her out of the hospital, but we did get home health. CNA's Nurses, and physical thearpy came to the house. Took blood samples, thearpy, etc all at home. This is better.

Every night I set up the pump to the feeding tube and poured in the shake. The tube came out a couple times and had to go back to the hospit to have it put back in as it had to be put in with an x-ray. 3 weeks of this tube in her nose and it came out again. The doctor didn't want to put it back this time because the nutrition level was finally half way where in needed to be. She could now drink the stuff and keep it down most of the time. Still liquids, no solid food.

Few weeks later she felt better and could eat solid food. made it back to 103 lbs. We finally went on our summer vacation. Well we went but she was sick everyday. Just got back this past Sat. This is a vacation we had planned to go on early in the year. We missed it because of her sickness and lost the money we spent on plane tickets. Since she was feeling better My parents bought us replacement tickets.

Since she has still been sick she went back to the doctor yesterday. They did bloodwork and she had to go back today. Doctor sent her to the Hospital today......same thing, sick everyday and nutrition level way down again and very dehydrated. They set up the IV and gave her fluids and medication. So, I don't know what else to do.

Next friday is 6 months from her job. It is held till then. When her job is gone, so is the insurance and short term disability. Didn't know what to do other than start selling toys. Her insurance is decent......alot better than mine but we still owe alot. When her disability is gone I dont know what will happen. Anyone been through this stuff before?

This was the short version. Somewhere in the above there was a type of gastro internal surgery where they did a procedure through the throat to cut some scar tissue in a bile duct. I don't even remember haw many procedures was done but there has been 4 surgerys. Just wanted yall to know the basic story. Thanks to all, KC

Thoughts and prayers are out to you guys. Anything I or we can do above and beyond the money please let us know. Even if it's just someone to sit and catch a meal with between doctor visits.

Thoughts and prayers are out to you guys. Anything I or we can do above and beyond the money please let us know. Even if it's just someone to sit and catch a meal with between doctor visits.
A BIG X2,just let us know........

In addition to just plain $$, here are some things I can think of that might help.

A virtual benefit ride - I say virtual because we can all leave the trucks/trailers/rigs at home and drive our DDs and/or car pool to a meet and great type event. Maybe just all hang out and cook spaghetti or chili or something.. Then kick in the gas money we'd save by not towing, into the pot.

Collect Scrap Steel - I have at least 50# in scrap steel at the house. I've got 4 alum. wheels, I'll toss those in.

I have a few forsale items I'll kick in all the $ from those..

I think the scrap steel idea is really cool!!

Virtual ride makes alot of sense too / we are also thinking of doing a ride of some sort as a fundraiser, will update here as we find out more stuff.

Kevin - I will PM you some info / and my contact info so we can talk asap!!

Losing the job does NOT MEAN losing the insurance, COBRA is up to 18 months OR up to 29 months is she is proven disabled.

We are going thru this right now with Emily and her stroke back in June, so I have some idea!!

Damn...my thoughts and prayers are yours.
1) Is Crohn's a possibility? I dont know much about it except a former employee had it and sounded kinda similar.

2) Im in for whatever we could do to help you out.

kc - a thought on the insurrance...
If fate works against you and your wife DOES lose her job, then you do NOT HAVE TO LOSE THE INSURRANCE.
By law, the Ins Co. MUST allow you the option of continuing the CURRENT policy *at the rate currently being paid*. This is called COBRA. Now, if will probably be alot more than you are paying, b/c her company is probbaly paying a large part of the premium; often company part can be anywhere from 50-80% of actual bill. BUT - without a question, it will cost you less to come up with a way to pay the whole insurance premium than have to eat the medical bills on your own.

Is Crohn's a possibility?

Checked. They have checked everything they can think of. Of 4 doctors offices and 2 hospitals all they have come up with so far is cyliacs (glutten in wheat allgery) She has been wheat free for a while now. Really my type of diet (Meat & Taters):rolleyes:

SHINTON & RatLabGuy, I know about Cobra. We will get the info from her employer tomorrow to see what it will cost. Today she said $800 but she didn't know for sure. That'll leave a mark. She will lose her job and short time disability will be over.

Thanks to everyone. KC

I am in with whatever you all can come up with. I have only met KC once, a few years ago when I bought a roof rack off of him for my YJ, but you just know a great person when you meet them.
Prayers to him and his family.

We are defiantly going to have some sort of benefit for you guys next weekend! On behalf of the Big Dixie Boggers, our thoughts and prayers will be with you.
awww3.christianforums.com_images_smilies_prayer.gif

awww3.christianforums.com_images_smilies_groupray.gif

Kevin I hate to hear it. My mom was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. They had to remove her pancreas , bile duct, gall bladder and some of her intestines. It is unbelievable how fast it hits you. One day she was fine next day her stomach hurt. 2 weeks later she had cancer. I had to sale many of my buggy parts to help her out. I hate to see you have to sale your buggy. I haven't known you long but have known you long enough to know that you are a wonderful person and the kind of person that would help someone else out in a heartbeat. I would be happy to help anyway I can. We kept faith and stuck together and now my mom is through her surgeries and getting ready to start her radiation treatment. She is on her way to better health. You and your wife keep fighting and I am sure everything will get better too. You and your wife will be in my prayers. If there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck,
Matt

Man...thats rough.

Have they tested for Coeliac disease?

I shot a PM to a friend on another forum briefly describing the situation to him, hes a doctor himself, and hes helped me self diagnose stuff several times just over the web. He posted up a paper once on how he discovered something crazy that was tantamount to a House episode. I'll let you know what he says.

Good luck, God speed to you and your wife. I'll try to help in anyway I can.

God bless you and the family! If i say anything else it would be stupid and pointless.....Paul and crew.

I have only met and talked to KC a couple of times on the trail and he seemed to be a nice guy. Mostly talked about his awesome buggy. Just from talking to him those couple times I know he is very proud of his work on his buggy. Guys this is an awesome thing yall are doing. I just hope he is able to keep his ride. I will do what I can for you and God be with your wife and family. Hope to see you at the Farm next week.

my thoughts and prayers are with kevin and family. i have met him 1 time a dpg playground. nice guy. i am willing to help in whatever way i can.
bryan

Sorry to hear the news. I wish I had to time or financial stabilty to help out, but with that said I can spare a weekend if nessesary and don't be afraid to ask. All I have to add is to keep her spirits up as best you can.
Dan

Back