Lawn mower steering

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
Steering rod popped of the husqvarna steering knuckle arm. Am I missing a retainer clip, or is the socket just wore out? Here's some pics. Besides the rod from steering wheel and knuckle arm, all I can find is this rubber band thingie that goes around the rod and base of the ball. Gonna try copious quantities of zip ties to git r dun tonight. What's the proper way to fix this?
20170503_192815.jpg
20170503_192500.jpg

This is what I would do. Remove ball stud thing, weld rod end/heim joint on end of steering shaft and bolt it to the steering arm.

Nope, it's a rod end, similar to a heim but 90*. Standard stuff at cf Reece or any mechanical supply outlet. Threads not sure. 'can fix is baling wire instead of your zip ties. Full size tractors I've seen fixed with baling wire.:eek::driver:

I thought of using a Heim rod end, I might actually have a few in the garage that are the correct size. That will be the long term fix.
This rod was pretty loose, but I needed to mow. After smacking it back on, I could easily pop it right off with a quick jerk of the wheel. It was surprising that the zip ties held, I didn't have much faith in that fix. With the rate the grass is growing, I'll have to fix it this weekend and mow right after.

Back