Lawn and Landscape

Haven't sent off for soil test yet, but any idea why the Kentucky fescue has taken such a horrible turn in the last month?

All cut soil. Approx 5ft of cut at this location. Applied lime and seed in april with straw covering. Watered every other day when not raining. Grew thick and fine. Added 10-10-10 and more lime in early may. Turned an awesome deep green and thickened up like crazy. Kept the watering on an every other day schedule. But just absolutely DIED here in the last 3 weeks

View attachment 321166
Looks like it just burned up with the heat. Spring seeded fescue will do that. Does it also have afternoon sun?

Yes sir. From about 10am till the sun goes down.

Go back with contractor blend? Wait till fall? Pave and paint green?
I've always threatened to pave and paint green, I bet runoff taxes would be less than lawn maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes sir. From about 10am till the sun goes down.

Go back with contractor blend? Wait till fall? Pave and paint green?
Aha! Contractor Blend has rye grass in it! Thats one reason that it died so quick. Regardless of the mixture, if it has rye in it, it will be the dominate grass because it germinates fast and will take over. Use regular turf type fescue next time, this fall and see how that does.

Aha! Contractor Blend has rye grass in it! Thats one reason that it died so quick. Regardless of the mixture, if it has rye in it, it will be the dominate grass because it germinates fast and will take over. Use regular turf type fescue next time, this fall and see how that does.

This WAS regular fescue. Kentucky 31 from Robana Farms in Lexington. And.....
It wasn't cheap

:kaioken:

This WAS regular fescue. Kentucky 31 from Robana Farms in Lexington. And.....

:kaioken:

Damn, that sucks. I've been in the same boat before. I had to completely reseed my septic field area 1.5 yrs ago in the spring after having a ton of pine trees taken down in December. All the grass in the area was trampled and destroyed from a skid steer. 95% of the grass that I planted that spring died that summer, so I got to completely redo it AGAIN in the fall.

I tried to GET a bag of contractor blend from Farmers to seed this because I figured Kentucky wouldn't even grow at that time of year..but they were OUT

I needed something to hold that bank (Because DENR) so I gambled. Wasn't going with a typical "bag-o-weeds" from lowes because I didn't want to fight them for years and years.
I'll hold out for aug/sept and reseed with 31. If that doesn't work I've had amazing luck with Essicks Sod up the road. I did the driveway in that 2 years ago during summer and it's still looks great

20180824_185630.jpg

So, what do i do with little saplings that are coming up in the yard? Is there anything to do other than dig them up. I mow them down every week.
9f04f4c6bab7c2662e1318f02a2824f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

So, what do i do with little saplings that are coming up in the yard? Is there anything to do other than dig them up. I mow them down every week.
9f04f4c6bab7c2662e1318f02a2824f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Wait for a cool day and spray with broadleaf weed killer, 24d, 3 way, Momentum. cant spray when it's 90 degrees but I prefer early mornings on the cooler days.

Ok cool, I didn't know 24d would kill it. Thanks

Don't spray it within 2 days before or after you cut your grass. If you mow on the weekends, then spray it on Wednesday.

Every year I have the same problem with this area. It starts out looking SUPER in the spring. The grass is so thick that I have to rake the clippings. This is my septic field. There is no sprinkler system in this area.

IMG_20200328_160632.jpg

Then the heat starts building in May/early June and it slowly starts to go bad. By late July it ends up like this. Could this be due to a fungus?

IMG_20200801_090949.jpg

Being it's your septic field maybe the roots are never allowed to reach out because they have sufficient moisture and then when the heat hits the turf needs more moisture but not enough roots to supply it. Also, have you checked for grubs? Dig just under the surface and see if you can find some white grubs. Fungus could definitely be an issue too but it's pretty far gone to see anything from this pic. Pull up some of the partially green grass and take a pic of the leaf blades of the grass and that will tell more. If they are greasy looking or have lesions on them then it may be fungus. Have you ever seen little spider web/cottony looking stuff on it in the mornings?

Here are a couple of close ups.

IMG_20200802_125013.jpg
IMG_20200802_124949.jpg
IMG_20200802_124942.jpg

Wow I don't see anything alarming. The grass blades have some small lesions on them but nothing major. Did you find any grubs? you'll need to dig in a few spots where there's still live grass, they eat live roots.
Let's see what @guffey24 has to say.

No spiders or web stuff.

I dug a little in one spot (first picture). I didn't see any grubs.

Just to add to everyones woes, I planted farm store blue cert bags of Kentucky 31 in Early October....the lawn was AWESOME, regular feedings, knocked out a fungus spread following some rec'd steps here, and pretty much the whole front lawn died as soon as we started having 100+ deg. days....no amount of watering seemed to keep it at bay....maybe my house is directly under a hole in the Ozone? It kills me when I think about the cost of seed, water, feedings, lime, grub killer, etc etc etc...

I am DONE, I got the basics of how to have a great lawn by spring, when I am ready to sell the house, we will be sure to run the thatcher and seed-slitter in fall, and sell in the spring.

I am going back to letting whatever grows....grow, cut it short often so it all looks green and go on about my life!

Just to add to everyones woes, I planted farm store blue cert bags of Kentucky 31 in Early October....the lawn was AWESOME, regular feedings, knocked out a fungus spread following some rec'd steps here, and pretty much the whole front lawn died as soon as we started having 100+ deg. days....no amount of watering seemed to keep it at bay....maybe my house is directly under a hole in the Ozone? It kills me when I think about the cost of seed, water, feedings, lime, grub killer, etc etc etc...

I am DONE, I got the basics of how to have a great lawn by spring, when I am ready to sell the house, we will be sure to run the thatcher and seed-slitter in fall, and sell in the spring.

I am going back to letting whatever grows....grow, cut it short often so it all looks green and go on about my life!

It is very frustrating.

My backyard is a mess, I mean a mess! Looks great in the spring after aerating and over seeding in the fall. But by mid summer the trees have sucked all the moisture out of the ground & the ground is so dry it’s cracking everywhere. Just today I got so frustrated that I told the wife, eff it, we’re graveling and stoning the entire backyard like your parents in Arizona. The look I got from her told me I am never allowed near a stone yard without her, ever! LOL!

My backyard is a mess, I mean a mess! Looks great in the spring after aerating and over seeding in the fall. But by mid summer the trees have sucked all the moisture out of the ground & the ground is so dry it’s cracking everywhere. Just today I got so frustrated that I told the wife, eff it, we’re graveling and stoning the entire backyard like your parents in Arizona. The look I got from her told me I am never allowed near a stone yard without her, ever! LOL!
Just pave it and paint it green.

Out of the 2 acres I have, this is the only area I really care about. The rest of it is what it is.

36477007-517E-45B4-AA8F-ED80EE295338.jpeg
7663CD20-C472-4F22-887B-7E036C4C0D18.jpeg

Back