Lawn and Landscape

We've got a bunch of hollies that are too big and too close to the front porch and walkways... Trying to decide if it's worth moving them, because they'd make decent screen/hedge plants if they were further out from the house.

My FIL gave me a very nice Japanese Maple that I planted on the corner of the house. I planted it about 5' off the foundation to give it some grow room. It was already around 4' tall and 3' wide. Other than that I just have some small boxwood and gardenia planted for foundation cover. I'm planning on planting some sort of screen tree along the back edge of our property to screen off our neighbors, maybe thuja or arborvitae something fast growing and ever green. Probably won't do that till next year though. I need something that likes shade and grows at least 20-30'

And treat for grubs in May-June. They love grass roots!

I treat with triazicide at least twice a year. I've done this in every house I've ever lived in. I don't know if it's the best product, but has always seemed to cut down on the bugs around the house and seems to keep the fleas and ticks at bay for my dogs (they also get trifexis). Triazicide is supposed to treat grub worms too. Any better recommendations?

I have used Bayer Grub concentrate, the active ingredient is Imidicloprid. It is a systemic grub killer, that is it stays in roots and soil and is eaten by the grub. It can also kill by contact but that isn't its main mode. You connect it to your hose and spray, it is a liquid. Grub granules not watered in do nothing.

Incidentally Imidicloprid is what is in advantage for fleas. It's a fairly safe pesticide.

I plan to ask the guys at Southern Seeds this coming May what they recommend, I am moving to all "professional" products.
Every time I do, I am rewarded with much better performance. Milky Spore is a bacteria that kills grubs and lasts for like 10 years.
This is what I am going to be asking about.

I guess I can assume my seed to be washed away or drowned. I am planning to reseed....again......

Rain gauge says 3.5" from overnight... And it's still coming. It's gonna take a month to dry out lol

I may ask the guys at STI what they have/recommend next time I'm up there. They sell a lot of Lebanon brand stuff that I've read up on. All seems like quality stuff.

I was gonna ask about milky spore. That's one of those things I meant to do 5-6 years ago but never did because it takes a few years for it to work, but now wish I had. When this rain started saturating the ground, the grubs were coming out everywhere.

Do yourself a favor and visit a John Deere/ Lesco branch for your commercial products. john deere lesco locations - Google Search
Granular grub products are better for homeowners because they don't usually have the spray equipment necessary to get enough chemical mixture volume into the soil. Merit is one of the best but there are others such as Mach 5, etc., that will do a great job.
Milky spore is a bacteria that occurs naturally in the soil but in small amounts. If you apply it to your soil it does take weeks, months, or more to be active throughout. It CAN last for years but it's best to replenish it also over time.

Do yourself a favor and visit a John Deere/ Lesco branch for your commercial products. john deere lesco locations - Google Search
Granular grub products are better for homeowners because they don't usually have the spray equipment necessary to get enough chemical mixture volume into the soil. Merit is one of the best but there are others such as Mach 5, etc., that will do a great job.
Milky spore is a bacteria that occurs naturally in the soil but in small amounts. If you apply it to your soil it does take weeks, months, or more to be active throughout. It CAN last for years but it's best to replenish it also over time.

There's a John Deere place a couple of blocks from STI off Westinghouse in pineville. I'll check them out. I'm sure their prices are about the same

I treat with triazicide at least twice a year. I've done this in every house I've ever lived in. I don't know if it's the best product, but has always seemed to cut down on the bugs around the house and seems to keep the fleas and ticks at bay for my dogs (they also get trifexis). Triazicide is supposed to treat grub worms too. Any better recommendations?

We've been giving ours trifexis but have real woods around the new house and were finding ticks crawling off the dogs... and onto us. Vet recommended Nexxgard and Heartgard over the summer and it was great for ticks! I found them, literally, shriveled up on the ground and floors within a day or two of their first dose and then none the rest of the summer. Will probably switch back to trifexis over the winter and then the other again next summer.

The Pineville Store
John Deere Landscapes
10126 Industrial Dr
(704) 553-9779

or the Rock Hill Store
495 E Springdale Rd, Rock Hill, SC 29730
Phone:(803) 328-2999
Will be your best bets as the Downs Rd store is more nursery oriented. I haven't been there is a while so I'm not sure how much of the lawn and landscape products they will have as compared to the fertilizer stores. Not to mention the fert store employees are well versed on the lawn products.

We've been giving ours trifexis but have real woods around the new house and were finding ticks crawling off the dogs... and onto us. Vet recommended Nexxgard and Heartgard over the summer and it was great for ticks! I found them, literally, shriveled up on the ground and floors within a day or two of their first dose and then none the rest of the summer. Will probably switch back to trifexis over the winter and then the other again next summer.

Ours stay in a fenced back yard with very little wooded area. They do occasionally get a tick on them but it's not many. They usually just lay around on the deck and bark at the squirrels. Lol

We moved into our new house in the late fall of 2013 and it was too late to plant grass, so I had to wait until the spring. The dirt was ridiculous hard, but I aerated and seeded as it was. It came up, but by the middle of the summer, most of it had died. I completely redid it in the fall of 2014. I hauled in 6 pickup and utility trailer loads of compost that made a 2-3" thick layer. I then made three passes with my tiller mixing it in deep with the existing soil. It came up great.

About middle to end of summer of 2014:
IMG_1020.JPG

2-3" thick layer of compost spread on top:
IMG_1025.JPG

Seeded, fertilized, strawed, and ready for watering (also planted an Autumn Blaze Maple in the front yard):
IMG_1039.JPG

About a month later:
IMG_1135.JPG

Last edited:
Today I got the front yard aerated, put gypsum down, starter fertilizer, and seeded. The back yard is still a lil too wet, so I'm going to wait another few days for it. Thank god for good neighbors. Had the aeration done in about 15 minutes with a 24 and a 19" running.

All the incredible rain we had here didn't kill my seed! It is coming up. The only damage was to a few bare areas under trees.
I reseeded those areas today and aerated again. Green grass before long...just green fuzz right now :)

I didn't do shit... just threw a bag of Lowes tall fescue in the broadcast spreader and dumped it out on the SE corner of the yard about two weeks ago. It's coming up thick as thieves over there.

Still haven't planted my back yard.. I was trying to let it dry out from last week. It needs to be raked out before reseeding

Finally got mine aerated this morning after trying for three weeks to do it. Rained last night ans started raining about halfway through, what a muddy mess. Rained the rest of the day so I didn't put the seed out yet.

Ive got a lot of seeding work to do too. We just had a patio built in our back yard over the past month. They completely destroyed the back yard and part of the front yard, but that was expected. I had them spread a 2-3" layer of compost on the back yard to give it the same treatment as i did to the front yard last fall. Im going to till all the compost in today.

Thought about getting my tiller out today and try to turn the dirt in the back a lil before I seed. If it's not still too mushy back there.

I had a 1/2 bag of leftover that I threw out about 3-4 weeks ago just to get it out of the garage. Put it in a bare area with no preparation and no fertilizer. That stuff is coming up GREAT at the moment.

Most lawn professionals prefer year old seed, germinates quicker and you lose zero germination %

Seed if kept in a dry moisture free location will last for about 3 years without much loss in germination %

Back