Lawn and Landscape

Anything I can do to kill clover now. I have let my yard go because of construction in the front and back the last couple years. I'm not ready to work on the lawn yet but the clover is getting ridiculous.

Any cheap broadleaf herbicide will wipe out the clover. The question is, what's underneath it? Might rather have the ground cover until mid/late August....

Anything I can do to kill clover now. I have let my yard go because of construction in the front and back the last couple years. I'm not ready to work on the lawn yet but the clover is getting ridiculous.
What Shawn said will work. My back yard is Full of clover! I love it! lol Clover is a legume which helps to put nitrogen in the soil, which in turn helps my 150' oak tree plus I don't want to spray a lot of 24d under the oak. I can also find a 4 leaf clover in minutes at about any given time. :D

So just keep cutting and applying to the bases? Also I'm assuming since fescue is a bunch type growth grass, the area fungus killed is done til fall when I can reseed?
Fescue can recover if the fungus is killed soon enough, you could apply a little iron (Ironite) for some greening but stay away from nitrogen. Crape sprouts in the turf are from old roots. If these are still connected to live Crapes then just mow and don't spray them, if just roots, then spray a couple times per year and keep mowing.

This is all fescue, and was 100% just about 2-3 weeks ago. What is going on? Fungus? Brown spot?

IMG_20170525_172534739.jpg

This is all fescue, and was 100% just about 2-3 weeks ago. What is going on? Fungus? Brown spot?

View attachment 247910
Not your typical fungus patterns but could be, Dig into it with a regular shovel, not to make a hole but to be able to pry up the turf while leaving one side attached and see if you can see and grubs chowing on the roots. I am having to spray for fungus a lot right now. These rains have really brought out the brown patch. It's still a little early for pythium but it will be here shortly. They take different fungicides also. Hopefully most of you will only get brown patch.

Not your typical fungus patterns but could be, Dig into it with a regular shovel, not to make a hole but to be able to pry up the turf while leaving one side attached and see if you can see and grubs chowing on the roots. I am having to spray for fungus a lot right now. These rains have really brought out the brown patch. It's still a little early for pythium but it will be here shortly. They take different fungicides also. Hopefully most of you will only get brown patch.

Thanks. I will do a test dig. This spot dies first every summer. It gets baked by the sun.

Thanks. I will do a test dig. This spot dies first every summer. It gets baked by the sun.
Ah! then that is a great clue! If it's in a direct/reflective angle to the sun, then it may be a bad spot forever. But it could have an underlying issue. Maybe you will find a concentration of grubs but it could be a very hard packed area that won't allow root development. Maybe there's gravel under there or just hard packed construction issues. If that may be the case, then this Fall before your aeration, dug it up about a foot deep and investigate but also add some compost to the mix and till it up.

I've got a spot like that that fills up in spring then slowly thins out, doesn't turn brown just thins and isn't a hot spot from sun. I'm mostly hard clay so I'll take that advice this fall as well.

Ah! then that is a great clue! If it's in a direct/reflective angle to the sun, then it may be a bad spot forever. But it could have an underlying issue. Maybe you will find a concentration of grubs but it could be a very hard packed area that won't allow root development. Maybe there's gravel under there or just hard packed construction issues. If that may be the case, then this Fall before your aeration, dug it up about a foot deep and investigate but also add some compost to the mix and till it up.

The ground in that location is EXTREMELY hard. It is not clay. It is compacted sandy like soil. My house is on top of a hill. About 6 feet of dirt was removed from the top of the hill to make a large enough flat spot to build the house. About 2 years ago I brought in 2-3" of compost and tilled it in as deep as possible (probably only 4-6" after settling) The grass grows fine during the spring fall and winter, but as soon as the temps reach upper 80's and we go a week without rain, it gets crispy and then looks like the picture I posted. We just had a sprinkler system installed last week. The grass began looking like the picture I posted right before they installed the system. It has rained so much since the system was installed that it hasn't had to turn on yet.

The ground in that location is EXTREMELY hard. It is not clay. It is compacted sandy like soil. My house is on top of a hill. About 6 feet of dirt was removed from the top of the hill to make a large enough flat spot to build the house. About 2 years ago I brought in 2-3" of compost and tilled it in as deep as possible (probably only 4-6" after settling) The grass grows fine during the spring fall and winter, but as soon as the temps reach upper 80's and we go a week without rain, it gets crispy and then looks like the picture I posted. We just had a sprinkler system installed last week. The grass began looking like the picture I posted right before they installed the system. It has rained so much since the system was installed that it hasn't had to turn on yet.
Double check for grubs with all of that compost in there.

Is it too late to spray something (and what should it be) to help slow the neighbors bermuda from marching across my fescue?

Double check for grubs with all of that compost in there.

I did a test dig this morning right in the worst spot of that area and did not see any grubs. Is it possible that it just got dry given the bad conditions (rock hard soil 6" down, on a hill, direct all day sun)? It sure seems like the most likely answer since it got a little crispy at the end of that hot and dry week we had just a couple of weeks ago.

I did a test dig this morning right in the worst spot of that area and did not see any grubs. Is it possible that it just got dry given the bad conditions (rock hard soil 6" down, on a hill, direct all day sun)? It sure seems like the most likely answer since it got a little crispy at the end of that hot and dry week we had just a couple of weeks ago.
Yes I'm sure thats it. I have an iron bar made for prying rocks from fence post holes that I will jam into the ground and then pry up soil every 8''-10'' in a grid pattern in areas like this, add some compost or organic material of some kind and water the crap out of it. That can help to open it up but if it's in the perfect spot for the sun to bake you may have an issue forever. Maybe you could just plant a crape myrtle there? They love those conditions (after they are established)

I was afraid of that. Is it a fall thing then, and of so before or after the big aeration and seeding?
The best time to kill bermuda is August thru September right before Fall seeding. But it is still best to till it to remove roots before reseeding. The best defense is a mulch or physical barrier where you can spray round Up between the lawns.
There's no real good answer because it is such a relentless weed.

This fresh grass was from when I ran a new water line. Was nice and green and thick, now ts thinning and turning brown. I already sprayed for fungus so maybe this is from it, but other than spraying ironite, anything I can do?

d0c5e5777a22e9e4fcd7c6e8bba9a5f8.jpg

abde71e77b02f1b17faa89c58a119803.jpg

3423ee5a0b75bdc8c4118dc56ede2dac.jpg

50f1513dbf74f71baf11c2d9399da7cc.jpg

The best time to kill bermuda is August thru September right before Fall seeding. But it is still best to till it to remove roots before reseeding. The best defense is a mulch or physical barrier where you can spray round Up between the lawns.
There's no real good answer because it is such a relentless weed.

Thanks!

@R Q - do you know if Site One sells straw wattles for erosion control? I've got an asshat neighbor that redirected runoff and is making a hell of a mess of my stone lined river bed. I need to control the runoff and capture the silt before it fills in and buries all of my rock.

This fresh grass was from when I ran a new water line. Was nice and green and thick, now ts thinning and turning brown. I already sprayed for fungus so maybe this is from it, but other than spraying ironite, anything I can do?

d0c5e5777a22e9e4fcd7c6e8bba9a5f8.jpg

abde71e77b02f1b17faa89c58a119803.jpg

3423ee5a0b75bdc8c4118dc56ede2dac.jpg

50f1513dbf74f71baf11c2d9399da7cc.jpg
Maybe some lime since you dug it up. You used fescue and not a contractor mix? Those have rye in the. It actually doesnt look terrible. If it hasnt had any fert then a light application or even some ironite.

Back