Kill Fire Ants

Granny

One day at a time...
I thought I would share this. My son made me aware of it, and I am positively impressed. Nothing else I have tried comes close to this stuff for destroying individual mounds. $15-$20 per can, depending on where you buy it. Definitely some of the best money I have spent. Hope this helps someone.

Oh yeah. almost forgot, the stuff stinks something terrible, but the little guys seem to like it! :)

Martins Surrender Fire Ant Killer

Surrender.jpg

I've actually had good luck with the Amdro granules or whatever that stuff is.. Very short shelf life though before it completely loses effectiveness.
Takes a week or so to work fully, but after a couple of days the ants are walking around kinda twitchy and confused. I sprinkle it around and they start carrying it into the mount almost immediately, and it's gone by the next day.

I have had good luck with the ant bait but it takes up to two weeks. I hate the "water in" treatments. Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try this stuff out.

I use blue Dawn. Put 2-3 gallons in a 5 gallon pail, then add a couple cups of blue Dawn (original formula). Stir it in....you don't want to make suds. Then pour it over the mound, all at once. Kills it dead, instantly. Won't pop up a few feet over, they are gone.

If you have the little black sugar ants, mix powdered sugar 50-50 with 20 mule team borax laundry detergent and dump little mounds around your yard (or in your house, camper, etc, wherever the ants are). They're dead in a few days.

Safer than chemicals/poisons.

Starburst makes peppermint candies? Weird...

I've been using a powder stuff made by Bayer and damn does it kill them bastards! A light dusting and they scoff it up and tote it down in the mound and you can watch them all stop moving. It's very instantly gratifying!

Ahh...I was thinking you knew some kind of secret, underground candy stuff!

I thought I would share this. My son made me aware of it, and I am positively impressed. Nothing else I have tried comes close to this stuff for destroying individual mounds. $15-$20 per can, depending on where you buy it. Definitely some of the best money I have spent. Hope this helps someone.

Oh yeah. almost forgot, the stuff stinks something terrible, but the little guys seem to like it! :)

Martins Surrender Fire Ant Killer

View attachment 270030

The real trade name to that stuff is called Orthene, it’s a great knockdown, do not store that stuff in a garage that you frequent, put it in a large Tupperware container and keep outside

The newest fastest bait on the market is call Advion, 48 hours and they are gone, do not water in, they forage for it and disappear, it can also be spread with certain spreaders but it’s 2lbs/acre spread twice a year

The best product on the market is called Top Choice made by Bayer, it’s guaranteed to work for a whole year, it’s expensive and it’s restricted use, so you have to have a pesticide license to purchase

The real trade name to that stuff is called Orthene, it’s a great knockdown, do not store that stuff in a garage that you frequent, put it in a large Tupperware container and keep outside

The newest fastest bait on the market is call Advion, 48 hours and they are gone, do not water in, they forage for it and disappear, it can also be spread with certain spreaders but it’s 2lbs/acre spread twice a year

The best product on the market is called Top Choice made by Bayer, it’s guaranteed to work for a whole year, it’s expensive and it’s restricted use, so you have to have a pesticide license to purchase
I use Advion and it does work BUT you cannot disturb the mound before application and you must read directions and spread it around the mound and not on it. When you dramatically disturb a mound the ant instinct is to separate and start another mound for survival of the colony.
I did not know that Top Choice was restricted! When did that happen?

I use Advion and it does work BUT you cannot disturb the mound before application and you must read directions and spread it around the mound and not on it. When you dramatically disturb a mound the ant instinct is to separate and start another mound for survival of the colony.
I did not know that Top Choice was restricted! When did that happen?

Almost 9 years now

You are correct on the advion thing, spread around not on the mound, it really works well with a Herd Spreader to broadcast the entire area

UPDATE: As of yesterday afternoon's walk around the yard I am free of active fire ant nests. They either died or they have decided that my property is no longer suitable for housing. Either way, I'm happy! :)

I've had good luck with bifen.. label says spray 4' around mound and pour a mixed half or whole gallon on the mound, & they haven't been back or moved. that's done according to the label..

I have always just used a moderate amount of vitamin G on the little buggers.
Add a match, and they seem to go away....

Amdro works if you follow the directions.

Don't disturb the mound and sprinkle around it but not on it.

Spectracide and other cheaper crap does not work.

I will try the Surrender if I can find it.

I don't have them in my yard, but those SOBs have sent me to the ER twice w severe allergic reactions, while I was surveying. Just a dozen or so stings and I'm fubared. I thought about getting a job killing those MFers. I would jump out of bed and work hard every day if I could get paid to kill the shit out of them.

Back