Kids Monitoring System

Cherokeekid88

So we took the baby monitor out of my daughters room a while back and have been wondering about a pod or button that stays plugged up that is linked to mine and my wife's phone that will alert us if she presses it and needs something. I have found some similar things for the elderly that isn't quite what I am looking for. There have been a couple times where she has called for us or even came to the top of the steps half a sleep, scared from a nightmare or whatever and I am afraid of her falling down the steps. Anyone know of anything like this? Basically just a pod or button that stays plugged in that would be placed in her room that she could press if she needs something or if something happened and would send an alert to our phone through and app or text.

Use a door bell system, but backwards? Get a amazon wireless door bell system that has a 5 pack chime, 2 button deal. Usually these will have a "app" and you can put the notification for the app on extra loud

Use a door bell system, but backwards? Get a amazon wireless door bell system that has a 5 pack chime, 2 button deal. Usually these will have a "app" and you can put the notification for the app on extra loud
Thats not a bad idea. I hadn't thought about that. We already have a blink doorbell camera, guess we could just buy a second one, rename it and set it up in her room. I find it hard to believe that no one has come up with this yet. Seems like such a simple idea.

When I was a kid, mom & dad just trusted us to take care of ourselves, not get up and fall down the stairs, and if we did, we died and didn't do it again.

Thats not a bad idea. I hadn't thought about that. We already have a blink doorbell camera, guess we could just buy a second one, rename it and set it up in her room. I find it hard to believe that no one has come up with this yet. Seems like such a simple idea.

This is similar to what we are doing. We have a ring system. We have a cam in their room, but thinking of catching an older doorbell on sale for that very reason. My wife also has it set up on her phone that if the cam picks up movement between 10-7 (overnight) it alerts on her phone. So if one of them gets up, the alert at least helps pull her out of a deep sleep.

Cameras everywhere else....so why not start the indoctrination at home so they can be obedient little citizen-subjects. [/scarcasm]

Get a plain doorbell.

We just keep rolling with a two way video monitor we’ve had since my 6 year old was a baby. We see and can talk to him, he can only talk to us. We tried taking it out, but the way our house is designed you can’t hear anyone upstairs which is where the kids bedrooms are. It’s nice to just press a button and tell him to get his ass back in bed versus having to go up there. We keep it turned down throughout the day and then turn it up at night. It’s got incredible range too. We can talk to him from outside if we want to have people over.

I can't imagine how annoyed we would be if our 7 year old had access to a button she could press in the middle of the night if she wanted something. "I'm thirsty". "I can't sleep". "I had a bad dream". "I see a ladybug".

Although that would probably be way less terrifying than waking up to a 4 foot tall shadow figure beside my bed.

We just keep rolling with a two way video monitor we’ve had since my 6 year old was a baby. We see and can talk to him, he can only talk to us. We tried taking it out, but the way our house is designed you can’t hear anyone upstairs which is where the kids bedrooms are. It’s nice to just press a button and tell him to get his ass back in bed versus having to go up there. We keep it turned down throughout the day and then turn it up at night. It’s got incredible range too. We can talk to him from outside if we want to have people over.
Yeah we were still doing the baby monitor but our little girl complained that it looked scary in a dark room and she wanted it out and we felt like it was time that she could be without one, but I guess I could hide it somewhere and then at least be able to hear her if she needed us for whatever.

Yeah we were still doing the baby monitor but our little girl complained that it looked scary in a dark room and she wanted it out and we felt like it was time that she could be without one, but I guess I could hide it somewhere and then at least be able to hear her if she needed us for whatever.
My boy didn’t like the camera pointed at him with the little red light. We flip it around now and just use the voice feature.

We gave up on the baby monitors when our girls were almost three. I can’t even remember why anymore.. maybe one got dropped and broke? But ever since then we never got another one. They have Alexa’s in there rooms now and that lets us drop in when needed and we can also set them to “listen” if we are hanging outside with neighbors while they’re sleeping.

We gave up on the baby monitors when our girls were almost three. I can’t even remember why anymore.. maybe one got dropped and broke? But ever since then we never got another one. They have Alexa’s in there rooms now and that lets us drop in when needed and we can also set them to “listen” if we are hanging outside with neighbors while they’re sleeping.
So how does that work when you set it to listen? All the sounds in the room go through the alexa speaker downstairs?

Aside from a child with special needs, I don't see the point. We have 4 kids ranging from 3-11, never even used a baby monitor really. Motion sensing nightlights are great though, we have one at the top of our stairs. Hard wooden stairs, they hurt, ask me how I know 🤣

So how does that work when you set it to listen? All the sounds in the room go through the alexa speaker downstairs?
its through the app on your phone, but yea. All the sounds from whichever Alexa you set to listen are now coming through.
But we only use that when we’re outside goofing off with the neighbors.

Back