KDP got me...

I don't really care about Moab, or how many times you've driven out and back. If your vehicle truly is "streetable", then by all means, go without a tow rig. Mine is not. My needs in an off-road vehicle are obviously different than yours. I cannot build a vehicle to perform how I want, and still have it be streetable.

At Dayton, on all the trips I've gone on combined, I can count on one hand the number of vehicles that drove to the trails, and back home (excluding locals, and even many of them tow). Of those who drove, ask them if they'd rather have a tow rig.

I can't believe, on a 4x4 forum, i have to explain the need/desire for a tow rig, but here goes.

1: Peace of mind. If I break the wheeling rig in a big way, I can still get home. I can also get to work the next day. I can ride the trails I want to without worrying about how to get back home.
2: Comfort. My wheeling rig has no windows, doors, A/C, etc. and most importantly, rides on beadlocks with large (as compared to car tires), bias-ply tires that are not round. It has limited storage space as well for supplies.
3: Economy. This one can be argued because of the additional cost of ownership of another vehicle (mitigated somewhat by having the tow rig as a DD), but I get 13-14mpg while towing. What would a rig on 38" bias ply's get going down the highway?
4: Safety. You mess up a part while wheeling that you don't have a spare for, how many people "limp" it home? Mine's strapped to a trailer. Not gonna kill anyone up there.

For the record..I'm not pissed, but damn... Just because I'm not in the position to drop $40k+ on a new tow rig and have it be reliable all the time does NOT mean a tow rig is a bad idea...

Drive YOUR rig to someplace like Dayton, wheel it, and back. Thrice. Let ME know how it works out. ;)

While it is funny to break balls :flipoff2: -- I don't think anybody on this board would really rather not have a tow rig :huggy: .... I mean come on. This is however, the funniest thread I have read on NC4x4 in a while. I mean the pic of the PSD towing the CTD and then the mario cart/nascar chop ..... funny shit. :D

i wish i had rich's tow rig, i have to bum one each and every time out....

wasn't talking shit rich, just trying to be humorous. but i am without a doubt with you, the peace of mind is definetly worth it, makes weehling much more enjoyable for me.

but then, nobody has even mentoned the fact that the CTD was pulled up onto the trailer by a...............I can't say it, I'm laughin at this thread too hard.

Kevin

hey i drive my everywhere with large, out of round, bias ply tires on beadlock wheels and i have little exhaust, a fair amount of storage, and i drive it like im towing it home. is it streetable? hell no, but i drive it anyway because unless i get a rollback realllllly cheap or unless i start DD'ing a dually, its more cost effective to drive the truck to the trail. its getting more difficult the more sheetmetal i remove and the more mods i do (propane) but i think ill still be driving it in the spring. hopefully it will be a cabtruck by then and i have have some amenities back

Metto said:
hey i drive my everywhere with large, out of round, bias ply tires on beadlock wheels and i have little exhaust, a fair amount of storage, and i drive it like im towing it home. is it streetable? hell no, but i drive it anyway because unless i get a rollback realllllly cheap or unless i start DD'ing a dually, its more cost effective to drive the truck to the trail. its getting more difficult the more sheetmetal i remove and the more mods i do (propane) but i think ill still be driving it in the spring. hopefully it will be a cabtruck by then and i have have some amenities back

You slap that tranny in yet??We havent forgot about the ram yet either.....

I had to get a CTD to come recover my trailer and jeep when my Ford shat the tranny....they're old, they break, shit happens. As for payments...WTF is a payment? :flipoff2: I'll never be a slave to a "road use only" depreciating asset,give me paid for junk anyday. As for brand loyalty...they all break..all of them, so they are all equally "junk" to me. If I was able to drive my rig across country to go wheeling, I can bet I would feel cheated on "wheeling" once I got there, you know sorta like a dual sport motorcycle (not very good on the street and not REALLY good on the trail) I like to be able to beat the hell out of it if that's what I feel like doing and not worry about driving it home. I also like to sit my fat ass in a dually with air on about 65 degrees and pop in a dvd for the wife to watch on the way home, without the suspension beating me to death. This has been funny to read and the picture was pretty damn funny, but who cares about if you drive a Ford, Dodge,GM..whatever. :flipoff2:

Rich said:
I don't really care about Moab, or how many times you've driven out and back.

:lol:

I had no idea it was so easy to get his panties in a twist.

saf-t scissors said:
:lol:

I had no idea it was so easy to get his panties in a twist.

I freeball. :flipoff2:

And it takes ALOT more than that. You outta know that by now! :D

Rich said:
And it takes ALOT more than that.

Sure it doesn't.

And your eyes aren't welling up, and your bottom lip isn't quivering, either... eh?

:flipoff2:

See "I got MY new tow rig"... :D

Hey Rob, you need a license tag that reads "CTD HAULR"

tow12.jpg

Rob

rockcity said:
Hey Rob, you need a license tag that reads "CTD HAULR"
Rob

Welcome to 6 months sgo.. :flipoff2:

Six mos ago? Didn't it break down again just the other night?

Good thing you had Nicole's car to run to the parts store.... otherwise Rob might have had to come and get it and haul it to VA for you again. :flipoff2:

saf-t scissors said:
Six mos ago? Didn't it break down again just the other night?:

uhhh, no?

You mean the starter thing? I ordered those parts online and had time to wait, but the truck would still start. or am I forgetting something?

Back