Kaufman Trailers

rocktoy4me said:
Who inforces it and what the fines are if you get caught....not really sure. All you have to do is take a 50 question test at the DMV and Drive one of them around the block wiht your truck and trailer. Pretty exciting. Good luck.

Seth
Its more then just getting a ticket. There are a lot of things to look at.
The least would be they make you park it and get someone that has the correct license to move it or finnish the trip.
That could kill a weekend.
They treat it as driving without a license, ticket, money, and points.
All states have different laws and DMV to enforce it.
Some states make anyone over 10K pull in the weigh station.
That I was told by Tennessee DMV and VA HP.
Also that they overlook most private that don't stop but if for any reason something does not look correct they will stop them.
The biggest thing that gets me with it all is not the money lost from a ticket or the time lost being told to park it but the other stuff that will happen if you have any problems.
I have the same insurance on the truck trailer and the blazer. Nationwide.
They are good to deal with and are up front.
If I 'm not correctly licensed for the load or truck I drive they WILL NOT PAY.
This would mean that if someone pulls out in front and you hit them you are on you own. Normal would be the person that caused it like who pulled out in front of you. Not when you do not have the correct license, you are part at fault and on you own.
Now that would mean that the cop would know what he was looking at but most of us have a trailer to haul long distance and that would be on the highways and interstate travel, and that falls under SHP and DMV more then city streets. The HP and DMV know what they are looking at.
Just my 2 cents
Jon

rocktoy4me said:
You dont have to get any of the CDL stuff because you are not pulling for hire.
Seth
You are correct but I think there is a lot more to it.
I have a friend that needs a CDL by law because he works on and services big trucks.
He has to date never pulled or hauled for hire.
I think that if the truck, trailer or weight you haul fall under a class you need a CDL.
But for the most part any money = CDL
Jon

thecarman said:
Kimball, both Jon Loughry and Eric Terjesen got their trailers from Kraftsman, I think. Definitely shoot them an email.

Kimball,

Basically, I have the same Kraftsman trailer as Jon with a few modifications. I like it so far. It is built well. I elected to go with the wood deck (cheaper, cooler to contact, less slippery). I think the steel decks look nice and there are a lot of merits to them, and I almost got one myself. I think when you look at all the factors on how you will use it, its a matter of personal choice and utility, the choice for you will become apparant. If you ever want to look at mine you are welcome to stop at the house. Cary is a little closer than Ramseur.

Eric

Rob said:
Kimball, let me correct my last post. My kaufman is my 16' hauler, I've had no issues with it at all. My 32' is a Kraftman, that's the one I've had wiring issues with. Sorry for the confusion.

Rob,
Sorry to here you had trouble, hope you got it worked out before the road trip to Paragon. I would bring it back.
Eric

I'm looking at buying a trailer before I shell out the money to have to rent one even once...

Looking at www.kaufmantrailers.com there are three listed under Diamond Floor Equipment Trailer:

3,500lb axle package
4,000lb axle package
5,200lb axle package

is the 7000lb GVWR trailer sufficient for a TJ that weighs less than 5,000lbs?

it's only 12ft at the "flat" measurement, but that's plenty for the wheelbase...or would that make for a shaky ride?

Greg

bigwaylon said:
is the 7000lb GVWR trailer sufficient for a TJ that weighs less than 5,000lbs?

it's only 12ft at the "flat" measurement, but that's plenty for the wheelbase...or would that make for a shaky ride?

Greg

7k is plenty... but as far as the length, go at least 14'. You won't always be hauling a short wheelbase Jeep, and the longer deck gives you more maneuvering room to better load the rig (getting the weight distribution right for your setup, etc.... Mine is 16' and IMO is just right.

I agree. A 16' trailer would be a nice length. Also, a 16' trailer with a 7k rating is a relatively common combination, so re-sale will be decent down the road. I had one with just that combo for the Pinz. Make sure you get brakes on both axles. Mine didn't and I wish it had.

thanks...

I sent a request off to Kaufman, Kraftsman and Golden Gait...we'll see what they have...

Golden Gait has a 4-ton 16' trailer on their site...might drive up there one day next week...

I've got about 6 months to find one before I really need it...

Greg

I *think* the 4-tons have a funky wheel on them IIRC... something like a cross between a mobile home axle and a wide-5 setup.. Just something to look at.

Ok so question.... I just upgraded my axles on the trailer I am building to (2)-6000lb axles.. so when you say over 10,000lbs do you mean what the trailer actually weights? or what it is rated to pull??

BRUISER said:
Ok so question.... I just upgraded my axles on the trailer I am building to (2)-6000lb axles.. so when you say over 10,000lbs do you mean what the trailer actually weights? or what it is rated to pull??

it's all about rating...

10,000 GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)

just like the over 15-passenger law that calls for a "P" endorsement...I can drive a vehicle "made" for 10 people, but carry 20 with no problems, but you couldn't drive a bus by yourself since it was made for 15+ people, without the endorsement...

Greg

I stopped in and looked at the Hudson Trailers today. They are built a little heavier than the Kaufmans. The 3.5 ton axles have 15" tires, the 4 ton axles have the bais ply centerless rims, and the 5 tons have 16.5 radials. They have a treated deck with a 2ft beaver tail and 4ft ramps. The 3.5 has 1 braking axle, the 4 and 5 have both. Price wise they run around $2k-3k depending on the size and options. They also had a couple Stohl trailers that were top notch. I was much more impressed with these than the Kaufman.

Kaufman

My Kaufman has 3.5 t axles, 15" tires, and brakes on both axles($1695 2 yrs ago). Be sure you are comparing the same size trailers. I agree, Hudson builds a fine trailer and have owned several.

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I stopped in and looked at the Hudson Trailers today. They are built a little heavier than the Kaufmans. The 3.5 ton axles have 15" tires, the 4 ton axles have the bais ply centerless rims, and the 5 tons have 16.5 radials. They have a treated deck with a 2ft beaver tail and 4ft ramps. The 3.5 has 1 braking axle, the 4 and 5 have both. Price wise they run around $2k-3k depending on the size and options. They also had a couple Stohl trailers that were top notch. I was much more impressed with these than the Kaufman.

16" or 16.5" most of the time will tell you it is a 8 lug 6k or more axle.
Mine is a 5250 lb axle 6 lug 15' wheel. 5 ton gross trailer.
If you factor 1000 lb tw and 5250 lb per axle it could run 11.5 k gross on a 3/4 to 1 ton truck. A big dump truck could run mor tw and increase the gross. That was the thing about the 5 ton 6 ton and 7 ton Kraftsman told me they build the frames all the same and just change the axles. It is cheeper and easy to build one and not 3 different ones.

The problem with trailers now is that everyone labels it different.
I have a 5 ton and that is 5 ton gross when I looked at a hudson 5 ton it was 5 ton carry on 6k to 7 k axles.
I looked at a 5 ton gross Kraftsman and a 5 ton gross (labeled 4 ton I think) Hudson side by side and they were real close to the same build 6 lug, 4 brakes, size and steel the difference was the price about 1000$ more for the Hudson and you get it one way, the way they want to build it.
Mine (Kraftsman)was built the way I wanted it with all the stuff for a good price and no shipping or fuel charge like those that sell Hudson. One year later and I would not change a thing.
Jon

I have also heard good things about these Big Tex trailers. NC Trailer Sales is a local dealer. I have a friend that has one of these and loves it. He only paid $1500, but that was before the price of steel shot up.

You know I'm the kind of fella that would just build a trailer to my own specs, but for the money and my sever lack of time to do so, I thought it would be easier to buy one already to go.

MR. GADGET said:
the difference was the price about 1000$ more for the Hudson and you get it one way, the way they want to build it.
Mine (Kraftsman)was built the way I wanted it with all the stuff for a good price and no shipping or fuel charge like those that sell Hudson. One year later and I would not change a thing.
Jon

If in charlotte go to Godley aution. They sell new Hudsons for cheaper than ANYWHERE else.

Here at work we have a 6T and a 10T. You can order Hudsons any way you want, floor options, color (black, orange, blue, green), and several others. You just have to know where to go or really ask.

Oh the 10T '04 Oak floor, tool box, air brakes, duel 16" rims + spare: $8,600
from godley (the direct seller) Its some deal with old man godley and the hudson brothers.

Picked up my 7T trailer on Monday afternoon. Overall it looks good. There are a few details that I'd like done differently but I can live with them:

1) Lights - One trailer place in east Raleigh off of Hwy 64 had trailers with recessed lighting. Very nice and clean looking installation. The Kaufman trailer has what I'd call standard surface mounted lighting. Not bad just not as clean an installation.

2) Ramps are narrow - I haven't measured them, but the ramps look narrower than what I'm used to seeing. Not really an issue but its obvious they saved manufacturing cost by building them like that.

3) Wiring - Now I see what folks are talking about. You've got a bunch of crimped connectors, tee connectors (I hate these), and wires passing thru metal with no grommet. I'm going to add grommets and tape up the connectors to provide some temporary water resistance. I see some Saturaday in the future spent rewiring the whole thing.

Overall I'm pleased. The cost of the trailer was pretty good. I like the heavy jacket with wide foot. Overall the trailer is well built, and it tracks well. One note...when you pay for a spare, they include a mount on the trailer.

I went out to the Kaufman place this afternoon. I was impressed with their facillity. Every trailer is built on site. I got a quote for a 3.5 ton 16.5'(14' with 2.5' dovetail). I opted for the wood deck and stake pockets. The thermometer in the truck read 93*, and I couldn't get near the trailers with the diamond plate decks without flame retardant. I also looked at the equipment trailers. I'm not so sure I like the flip up ramps. The auto trailers have nice slide in ramps. But with the dovetail I won't need ramps for my Bronco. I want to go to Thomasville to look at their trailers. But I have a feeling they can't beat the price for a comparable product.

You looked at Kaufman or Kraftman? I didn't know Kaufman built there trailers here, thought it was out west.

Kaufman. They have a Lexington address, but are located just out side of Denton on Hwy 109. They have a huge place with 2 or 3 very large buildings they manufacture in and probably 60-70 trailers on the lot. Any where from 5x8 utilities to 40' tandems. Like I said their place is impressive. They had the one black 3.5t on the yard today. I asked about having one custom ordered and the salesman told me 10% down and around 3 weeks to deliver any way I want.

Sorry to be a spammer but I have a friend that has a 14k 32' Kaufman goose neck car trailer that is for sale for $3500. PM me if you guys are looking for one and I will point you to the site that is for sale at. He is not a member here so he can't post it. If this post is not appropiate please delete it.

Rob are you having problems with the brakes not working? That is what was wrong with my 02 F350 when I got it. I ran a new wire from the brake controller to the plug and it fixed the problem. Several people have had problems with this wire breaking somewhere in the frame.

Sam(Slim)

Mine is a steel deck Owens Classic trailer 18 foot deck Bought it in 1975 Yes it is 30 years old and going strong. It has been sand blasted and painted a few times and rewired also. It has had several sets of tires and the bearings packed. electric brakes still work great.

Back