Kaufman Trailers

NC_Mog

Eurotrash Driver
Opinions or experiences with Kaufman trailers? I'm going to be getting a 7 ton, 20' tag-along, and ran across their website. I've looked at a couple. One guy out 64E has some including one that is slightly used for a few hundred less than new.

trailer

I bought a 16 ft to haul my rig. I love it, very well built.

NC_Mog said:
Like what? Too light gage? Poor routing? Poor terminations?

Yes.. :D

Really, every pre-built trailer I've seen is wired like shit. Don't let that sway ya. It's cheap to re-do it..

Poor grounds, poor connections. I'm still having issues. I think their poor grounds might have blown something in my truck, but I haven't located the problem yet.

Just picked up my 18' diamond back car hauler from Kaufman recently - love it. better construction than a lot that I have seen, plus reasonable price. My trailer wiring is fine - no problems. Pull great! Have hauled my jeep on it a few times and today went and picked up a big load of lumber on it.

Stewart

Opinions on diamond plate versus wood? For Kaufman, the cost difference its too much, but you save a bit with wood. It is a replacable surface that does require repainting. Over the life of the trailer I could see replacing the surface 1 to 2 times max.

NC_Mog said:
Opinions or experiences with Kaufman trailers? I'm going to be getting a 7 ton, 20' tag-along, and ran across their website. I've looked at a couple. One guy out 64E has some including one that is slightly used for a few hundred less than new.

Kaufman makes\sells good trailers.

You might want to check out Kraftsman Trailers on Hwy 64 just west of Siler City. The guy that runs Kraftsman is the bother to the guy that runs Kaufman. Usally Kraftsman has cheaper prices and they are closer to you also.

Either way I'd go with the diamond plate. No one ever looked back and said "Damn I wished I had got the wood floor on my trailer". Well no one I know anyway ;)

<><Fish

FishHunt said:
Either way I'd go with the diamond plate. No one ever looked back and said "Damn I wished I had got the wood floor on my trailer". Well no one I know anyway ;)
<><Fish

I've heard it when having to kneel onto one when it's time to strap down a vehicle on a summer's day.. :D Mine's wood, but I do wish it was steel.

Stewart - Like I said, ALL trailers are wired like crap, if you really look at them.. quick taps? in an outdoor environment? no way, Jose', but every trailer mfg uses them, I'd bet including yours... because they are fast. Maybe I'm just anal about wiring...

The nicest trailers I've seen is "pro-tow" or something like that on 64 E... but they aren't cheap!

Kimball, both Jon Loughry and Eric Terjesen got their trailers from Kraftsman, I think. Definitely shoot them an email.

My car hauler has a diamond plate deck, and I love it. I have towed in the summer, and I don't care if the deck is hot. If I need to be on it without jeans on, I can put down a towel. I don't have to worry about screwing up a wood deck, no matter what I load on it or drag over it - like a Toyota with no axles, and a Zuk with no axles. :)

I have towed with wood deck trailers before. I had the rear wheel of a station wagon break through one because the wood was cracked from previously hauling a car on it with a bare rim (no tire). I also had my ramp truck hauled by a friend with a 28-foot gooseneck with wood deck. We had to worry about the loose boards and had to put pieces of wood over some holes in the deck so I wouldn't drop a tire in them. With the steel - you never have to worry about this. You never hurt it in the first place, so you never have to worry about fixing it when problems arise.

Plus you can weld and bolt stuff to the steel deck easily. (Like my winch plate is bolted to mine, and I have holes drilled so I can mount my manual tire changer to it.

Later!
Richard

Kimball, let me correct my last post. My kaufman is my 16' hauler, I've had no issues with it at all. My 32' is a Kraftman, that's the one I've had wiring issues with. Sorry for the confusion.

NC_Mog said:
I looked at a lot of trailers arr over NC,Tenn, and Va.
Each time I found a place that had them I stopped an looked them over to make notes.
I found that Kraftsman on us64 around Ramser had the best and the best deals for what I was looking. I passed the info on to others and they also went and got one like the one I got.
You sure you want a 7 ton?
This will mean that you need a CDL and no one else without a CDL can tow or drive your rig.
They are starting to crack down on this a lot.
That info is from a DMV officer that comes into the shop a lot.
Let me know if you want more info on mine or want to look it over.
The one I got from Kraftsman should work fine you what you need.
The only difference in the 10K12K and 14K from kraftsman is tires brakes and the Axle. They build the 10K on a 14K frame just change the axles.
Its all 6" channel on all three. That from the guy that ownes Kraftsman and looking over the 10K and 14K.

Rob
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the wiring on yours.
They should help you out or re wire it all if needed.
You have only had it a few months.
I know of four others with no problems.
Jon

Jon, check your connector, I found two wires that had come undone, I think they shorted out and are causing a problem with the truck. But this is after the day I picked it up, we hooked it up, and the trailer kept blowing my fuses, took them an hour to find a bad connection.

Rob said:
Jon, check your connector, I found two wires that had come undone, I think they shorted out and are causing a problem with the truck. But this is after the day I picked it up, we hooked it up, and the trailer kept blowing my fuses, took them an hour to find a bad connection.
Thanks I will look it over.
What weight is on yours and do you have a CDL?
Thinking that was a 14K trailer when I looked at it.
J

Off Topic...

I thought that after 26,000# you needed CDL Class A or B, but were fine driving a single rear axle (driving axle) with 26,000# or less. Am I misinformed? :confused:

<><Fish

FishHunt said:
Off Topic...

I thought that after 26,000# you needed CDL Class A or B, but were fine driving a single rear axle (driving axle) with 26,000# or less. Am I misinformed? :confused:

<><Fish

Trailer has to be less than 10k, regardless of GCVW.

The Kraftsman place on Hwy 64 East of Ramseur is a great place to get a trailor. I'm good friends with the sales manager there, Kenny Brown.

Kraftsman Inc
(336) 824-1114

http://www.kraftsmaninc.com/

Feel free to PM me and I'll help all I can.

saf-t scissors said:
Trailer has to be less than 10k, regardless of GCVW.

less than 10,001 actually.. :flipoff2: 10k is OK :D

It's not a CDL but a regular license Class A versus the normal Class C. I still need to contact DMV and see what it will take to upgrade the license.

Yes I need a hefty trailer. A 10k won't cut it. Based on Kermit, trail ready will tip the scales at approximately 8200 lb. Assuming a 14k trailer, we'll add another 2800 lb for a grand total of 11k. Personally, I'd rather step up to a 14k trailer and have the extra safety margin versus going with a 12k. The cost differential is not that much.

NC_Mog said:
It's not a CDL but a regular license Class A versus the normal Class C. I still need to contact DMV and see what it will take to upgrade the license.

Yes I need a hefty trailer. A 10k won't cut it. Based on Kermit, trail ready will tip the scales at approximately 8200 lb. Assuming a 14k trailer, we'll add another 2800 lb for a grand total of 11k. Personally, I'd rather step up to a 14k trailer and have the extra safety margin versus going with a 12k. The cost differential is not that much.
I was thinking it was more in the range of 6500 to 7000. You will need a bigger trailer then a 10k.
One other thing you can do is get the 14K and just tell them to tag it at 10k to keep out of a CDL or class a.
They down rate them all the time.
If you let anyone use it they would need the same license you would or if you plan to trade drivers on long trips.
Who would have thought it would out weigh the Dodge.

Bought a 28' Gooseneck to haul 2 rigs. Love it. Prices are very resonable compared to others i have seen.

Seth

Just read the end of the post so i thought i might add some more. People are reffering to a "Classified Class A" You dont have to get any of the CDL stuff because you are not pulling for hire. Technical if the Trailer weight is over 9,999 lbs you are supposed to have one according to the books. Who inforces it and what the fines are if you get caught....not really sure. All you have to do is take a 50 question test at the DMV and Drive one of them around the block wiht your truck and trailer. Pretty exciting. Good luck.

Seth

Back