Just wondering.........

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Rock Corps 4X4 has a piece of property (The SHOP) they lease and maintain. They do this for a place to wheel, not only for the members, but for the general wheeling community! I am no longer a member of this club, but many of my friends are. They pay a lot to lease this place. And, it takes a lot to keep it up. But last several rides seem to have the numbers of people dwindling. Why is the place no longer supported? Does everyone just want to go to the far away places? It's a great place to ride!
Just wondering.

Somewhat the same here, Chip. I did a tour of the Grand Opening, & enjoyed it! Kept after CTB to add it to the List, & finally got it in as an alternate. The 1 time we did show, the property owner was having a Bad day, so we left, but Fully understood. We continued to Hurricane Creek, & still, had a good day. The only negative I've heard, is the question, is it like the Gulches? No riding when wet.

Somewhat the same here, Chip. I did a tour of the Grand Opening, & enjoyed it! Kept after CTB to add it to the List, & finally got it in as an alternate. The 1 time we did show, the property owner was having a Bad day, so we left, but Fully understood. We continued to Hurricane Creek, & still, had a good day. The only negative I've heard, is the question, is it like the Gulches? No riding when wet.

There has been a couple times when the park was closed due to rain. Not just because it was wet. When wet, like every where else, the challenges just triple in difficulty. With all the rain we have had, yesterday was one of those days. But, we rode most everything. Some made it, and some like myself, was denied on a couple places. But we rode, had fun, and rode some more.
As far as groups are concerned, they do make concessions for others schedules. Contact in advance and you can get it on your calendar. The issue of when CTB came and were denied entranced has been taken care of.

I enjoy the SHOP, a lot of good challenging trails. We have been going to the open rides since it was opened to the public. We were there earlier this year and noticed a lack of numbers. We were planning on going yesterday, but work got in the way. That was the only reason we weren't there. We need all the places to wheel that we can get

It’s not being broadcasted like the Flats, it’s being posted on here and maybe on their Facebook page. But the flats post on every off-road page in the southeast about an open ride. It needs to be blasted on Facebook to get the numbers up. Their are only so many Nc4x4 guys that can make every ride. Anyone remember the flats ride when it was suppose to be the last ride IT WAS PACKED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^this & when there is an open ride make sure the field is mowed and ready for camping.

The first two or three open rides held there conflicted with other things on my calendar. I seem to remember one of the first open rides was on Halloween, and I couldn't make that. I took my Samurai apart two years ago, so haven't had anything to wheel for a long time, otherwise I'm sure I would have been there for more than one of the open rides.

This past weekend was Father's Day. I couldn't make it due to a family get together with my parents, my wife's parents, and my sister-in-laws family.

Last edited:
Life has gotten in my way of going lately.. would've loved to go this weekend, but the poor Jeep needed surgery and new shoes to even be worth taking. She got her surgery but no shoes yet. She's only a poor stocker anyhow. I did have a blast up there a year or two ago with the samurai on 31s..

I’ve been wanting to ride the flats and the shop but if I’m going to ride 5 or 6 hours I can ride a couple more and go some other places

Truthfully, I heard it was all steep big rig type stuff.
This

and
The 1 time we did show, the property owner was having a Bad day

Now granted....errbody has a bad day, but (in my mind) you take these 2 perceptions and or MISconceptions then couple it with "private invite only", which....there's been open days and I've seen that, but even seeing that with the aforementioned 2 items above, you tend to just file it away in "Places that I vaguely remember might not be too welcoming to me"

But if that's not the case, and my little old stocker on 35's could actually have a little fun there.....(and I won't get shot by the owner :smokin:) I'm ALWAYS looking for a place to slip away and wheel with a few buds!

Now granted....errbody has a bad day, but (in my mind) you take these 2 perceptions and or MISconceptions then couple it with "private invite only", which....there's been open days and I've seen that, but even seeing that with the aforementioned 2 items above, you tend to just file it away in "Places that I vaguely remember might not be too welcoming to me"

But if that's not the case, and my little old stocker on 35's could actually have a little fun there.....(and I won't get shot by the owner :smokin:) I'm ALWAYS looking for a place to slip away and wheel with a few buds!

I have made it out there about 8 times or so to the open rides and have never had anything but a positive experience there as far as Rock Corp or the property owners. The property is steep and a lot of the trails are challenging, but you don't have to have a crazy built rig. My buddy goes with us in his TJ on 35s, locked F&R and makes it around fine, he doesn't do a lot of the harder stuff because he doesn't want body damage and DD's the TJ but if you are on 35s and don't mind some damage you can certainly have a blast there. When it is wet, it is a different story like most places. I have seen a number of stock rigs rolling around there, hell a older guy and his kid in a mid 90s dodge 15004x4 followed us up to the beginning of razorback a couple years ago...

Bottom line, at least as far as the open rides go, you are dealing with the people of Rock Corp, not the property owners. There are still plenty of people there if you get stuck in a smaller rig and need some help and if you are worried about body damage then you just need to be more careful and scout the trail.

This

and

Rock Corps is mainly working to keep another place for us to wheel.

PM me or Rock Corps 4x4 if you or anyone else would like to slip away and wheel the SHOP with your buds.

The trails have been in place for a while and ever since one unfortunate weekend the land owners have been quiet. All of the club affected still has a free pass whenever y'all want.

Stock vehicles can enjoy the elevation gain from top to bottom and there is some great wheeling for more built rigs. Scenery is some good stuff too.

Back