just following in Ken's footsteps...

bigwaylon

some of ya'll know I bought BRUISER's old tow rig, the '92 F-250 7.5L gasser...

towed great to Tellico, Uwharrie and Devil's Playground...

just hated not having A/C, and the mileage wasn't that great (surprise, surprise)...so I started looking for a diesel...

figured if I followed him with the Ford, might as well find me a 1st Gen Dodge...so I picked this up week-and-a-half ago:

DSCN1521.JPG

here's a close-up so you can see what the paint looked like before I worked on it:

DSCN1531.JPG

'89 D350, 2WD, DRW, 5-speed, long bed...bought it from the original owner, 256K...stock except for some Bilsteins and some pimp air ride seats...

I took a clay bar, a mild buff and some wax to the paint, got the windows tinted, sprayed the grille area black since the fake chrome was flaking, and took some rattle-can to the hood, just to make it all the same color...I didn't work on the area below the trim on each side, so you can see the difference in how the paint turned out...

a couple pics from today:

DSCN1543.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

DSCN1545.JPG

the F-250 was a long bed, so I kept that feature...but I upgraded 4 of the 6 things I was looking for:

1. auto to 5-speed
2. gas to diesel
3. no A/C to A/C
4. SRW to DRW

left on the list someday:

5. 4x2 to 4x4
5. reg cab to extended cab

I sold the Ford on Ebay, and the guy's paying me to deliver it to the Lousiville, KY area...so I get to find out how the Dodge tows this weekend...

:huggy:

Greg

Man That paint looks awesome now after your hard work..

I cannot wait to find a bed for mine so I canpaint it and make it look good :)

RenegadeT said:
sweet. Good job bringin back the paint; I had no idea that was possible. How many hrs did that take?

under 3 hours total to do clay, buff and wax (all by hand)...

hood and roof not counted, as they were beyond saving (can't bring back what's not really there anymore...:D)

Greg

MAN, i love those first gens. That truck is the pimp shit. One day, I'm gonna buy one just for heck of it.

stewartgivens said:
Greg,
That thing looks great now! Where did you get the clay from - been thinking about using some.
Stewart

all my stuff is Coats products...bought it online...

little info from the trip...

put 946 miles on it yesterday...the first ~550 was towing the Ford...

~13MPG running 75MPH while towing, from Charlotte to Louisville, including through all the mountains...

~18.5MPG running 80MPH with the empty trailer, from Louisville to Atlanta...

Greg

stone said:
greg how much to clay the bus?? :flipoff2:

if you bring it (plus a step ladder) to Hilton Head next week with the big stuff washed off and I'll do it for cost of supplies...;)...just let me know in enough time to make sure I bring some stuff with me...

wife and I are going Sunday-Friday...and her mom is coming Sun-Tue...and I HATE sitting out on the beach doing nothing...

Greg

man i have to tell you if i was going to be in town next weekend i would. i have to be in charlotte for the next 2 in a row. i am hoping by then the inside is rhino lined and the ac unit is in. i think this thing would need a buffer because it would take an army of elbow greese!

stone said:
man i have to tell you if i was going to be in town next weekend i would. i have to be in charlotte for the next 2 in a row. i am hoping by then the inside is rhino lined and the ac unit is in. i think this thing would need a buffer because it would take an army of elbow greese!

let me know where you'll be in Charlotte next weekend, and I'll swing by...

we can at least see what the results would be in one spot...

not sure if you've ever used a clay bar, but there's not a lot of elbow grease involved...

for something that size, it would just be the time...not really that hard...

Greg

Back