Just another YJ build

There is only about 1/4" between the pitman arm and top of the diff.
IMG_20181201_053250140.jpg

I moved the front axle back 1" so it is only forward 4" now. This is the steering box in one position that I tried. This clears, but uptravel would have to be limited to about 3" due to contact with the tierod, and that would be with the DL end on top of the pitman arm.
IMG_20181202_074450478.jpg

Here is the box raised up another 2.25".
IMG_20181202_200402205.jpg

A flat pitman arm is also being considered. I may just put the draglink on top of the pitman arm in the position of this last picture. I'm obviously still playing around with everything to get the best overall packaging.

Last edited:
Would you consider lopping off the frame from the motor mounts forward in order to run new frame rails essentially straight forward? That would allow you to raise the box, more room for uptravel and still keep the "Jeep look".

Would you consider lopping off the frame from the motor mounts forward in order to run new frame rails essentially straight forward? That would allow you to raise the box, more room for uptravel and still keep the "Jeep look".

That thought did cross my mind since I am going to have to cut a big notch in the passenger side rail for the DL to clear when the suspension is compressed. Plus I already had to cut a piece out of the cross-member tube, so it is just hanging there now off the passenger side rail. The winch plate won't work anymore either with the box raised up, so I could rebuild the front to use my 8274 winch. I was trying to keep this build relatively simple, and quick. Well, quick for me anyway:lol:.

That thought did cross my mind since I am going to have to cut a big notch in the passenger side rail for the DL to clear when the suspension is compressed. Plus I already had to cut a piece out of the cross-member tube, so it is just hanging there now off the passenger side rail. The winch plate won't work anymore either with the box raised up, so I could rebuild the front to use my 8274 winch. I was trying to keep this build relatively simple, and quick. Well, quick for me anyway:lol:.

My forever issue is tie rod to box clearance and tie rod to bottom of radiator.

Looking back, I wish I would have just cut both rails off at motor mounts, and remounted rad and grille

What about a forward swing box? Too far Forward? Like the Astro model.

You could also try a Chevy 1500 express pitman arm. They are about a 1" rise and will bolt to the yj steering box. Jody mentioned it a while back when I had a similar problem with interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My forever issue is tie rod to box clearance and tie rod to bottom of radiator.

Looking back, I wish I would have just cut both rails off at motor mounts, and remounted rad and grille

I looked back through your build thread. You must be running the Astro van forward swing steering box?

I can see that I am going to need a different (shorter) radiator that doesn't hang down so far, because the DL is going to try and occupy the same space when the suspension compresses.

What about a forward swing box? Too far Forward? Like the Astro model.

I am thinking it will be too far forward, but might take another look at it.

You could also try a Chevy 1500 express pitman arm. They are about a 1" rise and will bolt to the yj steering box. Jody mentioned it a while back when I had a similar problem with interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will check that out!

I looked back through your build thread. You must be running the Astro van forward swing steering box?

I can see that I am going to need a different (shorter) radiator that doesn't hang down so far, because the DL is going to try and occupy the same space when the suspension compresses.

Yes Astro box. I cut up a flat Pittman arm to make the right length and angle, the wavy arm was close.

The bolt that secured the hydro ram to tie rod has shaved the drain petcock on the radiator, somehow without breaking it off lol :facepalm:

I have been mocking up my steering using my old bent drag link and tie rod. I've got new parts and a tapered reamer on the way. I made a wooden high steer arm:lol:.

IMG_20181215_072941349.jpg

IMG_20181215_072923091.jpg

IMG_20181215_073018906.jpg

I ordered some boat sides from Motobilt back around Thanksgiving when they had 20% off and free shipping on a lot of their stuff. I got them mostly installed in December, but then progress stopped. I had bad thoughts about 4 linking the rear and 3-linking the front on coil springs, but finally put those thoughts to rest and have resumed work on this thing. My friend at work is helping me out and making the rear leaf spring mounting parts that I need.

The front body tub mounts on a YJ are about 3/8"-7/16" higher than the next two under the door. Since the boat sides are flat and fit between the tub and body mounts, this difference has to be accounted for somehow. I'm not sure how @motobilt does it, but I figured I had two options. Option 1, cut the front body mount down 3/8", or option 2 space up next two mounts 3/8". I decided on option 2. I took three 1/8" thick washers and used them to make up the difference. The boat sides are 3/16" thick, so the rear 4 body mounts (not shown) are a stack of washers 9/16" thick. The blue is just painters tape that I used to hold the washers together.

Boat sides 1.jpg

Boat sides 3.jpg

Boat sides 2.jpg

I had bad thoughts about 4 linking the rear and 3-linking the front on coil springs, but finally put those thoughts to rest and have resumed work on this thing.
View attachment 293736

View attachment 293737

View attachment 293738
I too have had nightmares about such things...but I have to keep thinking happy thoughts of when I might actually get back to work on my pile, and to keep things simple. But...I WILL have to replace my springs anyway, so....who knows.

Damn, this thing is looking nice. Since yours will likely be done way before mine, do you want to do mine next? :lol::smokin:

I too have had nightmares about such things...but I have to keep thinking happy thoughts of when I might actually get back to work on my pile, and to keep things simple. But...I WILL have to replace my springs anyway, so....who knows.

Damn, this thing is looking nice. Since yours will likely be done way before mine, do you want to do mine next? :lol::smokin:

I had to remind myself that the purpose of buying this Jeep was to just get on the trail and to be street driven occasionally. I am not building a hill killing extreme wheeling rig. The only reason I am using ton axles is because I had them. If I had sold them long ago when I took my old truck apart, then I would have probably just searched for an 8.8 or C8.25 to replace my shot D35 and already been out on the trail. I'm kind of wishing that I had done that anyway.

You might still beat me. I'm SLOOOOOOW.

I'm liking your build! similar to mine except I ended up putting super duty axles in, but 5 or 6 inch stretch in the front, 2 in the rear on 40s, I used an astro box in the front to correct my steering issues and it seems to do fine. I'm buttoning everything up to get to driving it soon. considering the motobilt 4 link kit, but that will be a couple years from now, for now I just want to drive the jeep and enjoy it. I still need to cut the rear fenders properly to allow for uptravel.

Attachments

• 60577785_1196770633827079_1009963642713538560_n.jpg
    60577785_1196770633827079_1009963642713538560_n.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 481
I'm liking your build! similar to mine except I ended up putting super duty axles in, but 5 or 6 inch stretch in the front, 2 in the rear on 40s, I used an astro box in the front to correct my steering issues and it seems to do fine. I'm buttoning everything up to get to driving it soon. considering the motobilt 4 link kit, but that will be a couple years from now, for now I just want to drive the jeep and enjoy it. I still need to cut the rear fenders properly to allow for uptravel.

I was just looking at your build thread a week or so ago. Your Jeep looks good. Have you seen Bruiser's YJ with the Motobilt 4-link kit?

I was just looking at your build thread a week or so ago. Your Jeep looks good. Have you seen Bruiser's YJ with the Motobilt 4-link kit?
I haven't. The only one I've really looked at was John Ellison on the 1 ton jeep pages. He did a wrangler unlimited stretch on his yj that is pretty sweet.

Bump for inspiration

I'm not above driving to Stokesdale with a few dog beers to watch and heckle if it'll move this build along :huggy:

Haha! Thanks for the offer. I'm waiting on some parts that I designed to be made by a co-worker right now, then I will ready to make more progress.

Bump for needing to steal more ideas on how to do this with as many stock parts as possible.

Not much happening. I did manage to get the rear suspension together though.

Back