Jord - Your average 37 Ford Tudor Sedan / Grand Cherokee 4x4 Hybrid

Blue70

A few months ago I picked up the 37 Sedan body for $100.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_11218fac7b525964648762736276accbecb.jpg

Then picked up a good running 93 V8 4x4 Grand Cherokee for $300.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_JeepB4_zpsftwqx3zn.jpg

Stripped the Jeep

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Jeep_20After_zpslnlxx4s1.jpg

Combined the 2 on a home made frame

Now I figure since it was 4wd (and I just recently traded my Jeep in for a new tow vehicle) that I should go on up with it and make it my new mild offroad vehicle.
(Not much wheeling around here that I know of, we have the beach, and Uwharrie)

I was able to get the drivetrain mounted, rear end mounted, and body mounted, so I pushed it out of the garage for a second to get a feel for how it will look.

I have been working on a front frame redesign and some front links this week.
also need some new front wheels, but I hope to get the front end mounted soon.
(in the photos I have the old rear end of my 66 tacked in place to roll it, have the ZJ front under it now for mounting)
Then its onto steering and brakes.. once that stuff is done I will add the floor and boat sides last.

Should be a fun little ride that gets a few looks on the road/beach/trails

As of a week or two ago

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Out1_zpsahfucuya.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_OutSide_zps4mnmrzje.jpg

My son approves

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Approved_zpsqe0exfsy.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Siblings_zpsldppxxxl.jpg

Love it! Reminds me of the rural mail delivery stuff from the early (last) century.

I really, really dig the black Tudor.

Thanks,

I have seen old photos like that and didn't realize they were done like that for mail delivery. That's pretty cool

I just recently picked up the Black 1930 Tudor.
I have always wanted one and had the chance to trade even for another project I had, so I jumped at the chance
Last week I took off the 33 Buick grille that was on it in the first picture and put the correct 30 grille on it.

Here is the new grille

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_1930_20Model_20A_20Tudor_20Sedan_AGrill1_zpsqxx9gbeb.jpg

That thing is awesome! I have seen a small pic of the back of that one and always wanted to see more of it!

I will be doing an update after Christmas.. Finally have the front end mounted under it.

Just waiting on the front wheels that are under the tree so I can push it out of the garage for another pic.

So I was able to get a little work done.

I was able to modify the front of the frame modified, and the front end put in place and mounted. Got the power steering box mounted. The drag link is currently too long, so I need to shorten that, and I am not going to make the panhard mount until I am at full weight.

Mounted my new fuel cap by the side back window, and removed the fuel injection intake and got a nice carbureted intake for the Magnum. (Had a used Edelbrock carb, and air filter on the shelf in the garage, so reused those)

I have a nice RCI fuel cell, and some tail lights coming Monday.

Now onto todays work.. I got some front wheels from my wife for Christmas, got the tires mounted and pushed it out of the garage for a good look.

I have been debating on what to do for the front end..

First I tried the 33 Buick grille..

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_BG1_zps332usvbo.jpg

Looked OK from the front, but looked like crap from any other angle..
I couldn't push it back because of the power steering box, and I didnt want to cut the grill around it..

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_BG3_zpspgszarcl.jpg

so I tried out the stock 37 fenders and cut the hell out of them

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Fenders1_zpsuzm6vteu.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Fenders2_zpsbcvmx6ed.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Fenders3_zpsfqmcqirg.jpg

Are you keeping those wheels? Something with a little less offset might be easier to package with the fenders and also have a lower scrub radius so you don't have to have gorilla arms to steer it. Anytime I can see the brake rotors from the front (the offset is that huge), I have to wince when thinking about the steering geometry.

Thanks REDLYNER

Fabrik8, Yes I will be keeping these wheels. They are 15x10s with a 2.5" back spacing. I had to run them in the rear to clear the body without spacers, and didn't want to stagger the front, so ordered the same.

I have had wheels with a lot of offset in the past, and the power steering has never needed me to have gorilla arms to steer it, I am banking on this one being no different, I'll just have to wait and see.

I know it's not ideal, but this is just being built for fun on the cheap, a little compromise in scrub radius to get the wheels to fit without spending money on getting longer axles right now is one I am willing to make. Once it is on the road, then I can make changes if I feel they are needed. Just itching to drive this thing right now. :)

Ok, got to play a little bit this weekend.

Let me address the headlight mounting first.. When I was trying on the fenders to see if I liked them, there was already a hole in both fenders.
I hung the headlights from these holes, and it looked half way decent (My plan is to make filler pieces under the headlights to bring them out to the fenders,
and possibly mount the turn signals there.. we shall see..

For now I was thinking of ways to hide the mounts.. and this is what I came up with... Copper tube to loop it around back into the fender

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Copper_zpshxifc7dn.jpg

Then I ripped the fenders back off, and tore the engine down

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Open_zps6iquyir3.jpg

replaced the head gaskets, water pump, mounted the new carbed intake, carb, new distributor (had to because swapped from EFI to Carb)
power steering hoses, etc..

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Eng_zpsji78hmbp.jpg

I also mounted an old Harley key in the dash, and a small overhead console with a push button start, and 2 switches I'll use for the fuel pump and electric fan.
Started figuring out the steering shaft.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Overhead_zpselcnqcgq.jpg

Used some motorcycle chain as tank hold downs (need to remove and protect tank with some rubber strips or something.)

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y175_entrefal_37_20Ford_20Tudor_Tank_zpsksikzsk9.jpg

Got the battery tray mounted, whipping up some battery cables tomorrow.. (left pass side manifold off until I connect cable to starter)

Then I think I need to run the fuel lines and it should be about ready to fire up.

Back