JKU vs JLU for a daily/all around vehicle

paulevans76

I'm hoping to get some opinions from those who have driven both and can give me their opinion on whether the creature comforts and updates are worth the additional $$ a JLU would demand. This will be my 3x/week commuter, take the kids to sports, tote the Samurai to the trail sometimes, and even wheel a little bit rig. I don't think there's anything else out there (with a removable top) that is able to tick all the boxes for under 40k. Ideally I'd love to be under 30k but I know I'll be into the high 30's if I go for a JLUR.

I really like the aesthetic updates to the JL platform, so I'm leaning toward it, but a well maintained JKU isn't off the table.

I've heard that the JK platform was simpler with less potential for gremlins and such, but now that the JL's have been around for a while, I wonder if folks are really seeing those downsides. The JK platform still seems to have plenty of aftermarket, and the JL has been around long enough that it seems like you can find whatever you want for it.

Also would like to get opinions on powertrain - the 3.6, 2.0 turbo or ecodiesel 3.0. The 3.6 seems to be the most tried and true, and I've heard a lot of folks rave about the diesel, but it comes with some obvious downsides. 2.0 turbo isn't off the table, just don't know much about it. Whatever motor, it's going to have the auto to keep the Mrs happy - I'm assuming the 8 speed in the JLU is likely a ways ahead of the old 5 speed in the JKU.

Not apples to apples, but I sold the jk w/3.6l and auto 5spd for a JT 3.0 ecodiesel.

For the money I'd get a jku 3.6 over a jlu 3.6. Not enough juice for the squeeze.
But, I'd take this diesel over any of the rest.

Also would like to get opinions on powertrain - the 3.6, 2.0 turbo or ecodiesel 3.0. The 3.6 seems to be the most tried and true, and I've heard a lot of folks rave about the diesel, but it comes with some obvious downsides. 2.0 turbo isn't off the table, just don't know much about it. Whatever motor, it's going to have the auto to keep the Mrs happy - I'm assuming the 8 speed in the JLU is likely a ways ahead of the old 5 speed in the JKU.
I have nothing to add, other than my thread from a few months ago might have some useful insights:

Last edited:
Go to carmax, waste their time and drive a JK then drive a JL.
Yes! This is what dealerships and Carmax are for. It’s literally their job to let indecisive people drive cars and try to talk them into one.

I was able to drive one of each motor in the JLU yesterday. I have to say I like the 2.0 turbo and the Eco diesel a lot. The 3.6 is fine but it's really buzzy anytime you mash the gas since all the woopows are in the upper rpms. The 2.0 and diesel both had a lot of torque and drove pretty great.

I did find the soundbar to be very close to my head (I'm sort of torso tall) but didn't bother me while driving.

I was pretty stoked to find out that the Eco diesels all have the dana 44 or m210, whatever it is, up front no matter what trim, so that opened up some options.

No help with the 2.0 or diesel but I really like my 3.6 JLU. No towing experience with it, got a Ram 3500 for that.

Wish I had the extra $$ to get a Rubicon but I got a pretty good deal on my 19 Sport S back in January.

I was able to drive one of each motor in the JLU yesterday. I have to say I like the 2.0 turbo and the Eco diesel a lot. The 3.6 is fine but it's really buzzy anytime you mash the gas since all the woopows are in the upper rpms. The 2.0 and diesel both had a lot of torque and drove pretty great.

I did find the soundbar to be very close to my head (I'm sort of torso tall) but didn't bother me while driving.

I was pretty stoked to find out that the Eco diesels all have the dana 44 or m210, whatever it is, up front no matter what trim, so that opened up some options.
I'm biased because I'm a diesel fanboi, but I don't know of anyone who bought the diesel and regrets it. Most everyone who has them rave about them.

Back