Jeep Runnin Bad Need Some Advice

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Hey aight heres the situation:

Got an 88 Cherokee w/ 4.0 fuel injected. Bout a month and a half ago when we got it it ran fine, ya know, hit the gas and off you go. Slowly since then it has slowly gotten worse and worse loosing power. Now its at the point where to go forward you have to be in first gear and floor it to move and same with reverse. It almost seems as if it is a carbed engine that is super gummed up and needs a rebuild but its feul injection. I guess it could also be the tranny going but it doesnt seems like its slipping and its not making any noise (auto tranny) but at the same time it doesnt want to hit high rpms either like the engine is bogging down like its a gummed up carb.

Anyway any help would be awsome on troubleshooting this.

Thanks

First things first... "aight" is NOT a word. Please refer to midnites thread about gettting sponsored. Is it that much of an inconvience to type alright instead of aight?

as for your problem, could be fuel pump, fuel filter.TPS, MAP sensors, plugged Cat... and a host of other issues.

I used to have an '88 XJ. My problems were caused by tps and blow-by oil soaking the air filter. Common problem on the older 4.0's.

First things first... "aight" is NOT a word. Please refer to midnites thread about gettting sponsored. Is it that much of an inconvience to type alright instead of aight?

Ok aight is too a word cause I use it in everyday conversation so that by definition makes it a word :flipoff2: lol

Spent some time really messin with the jeep today here's what I found:

- Will idle Fine
- Tranny is fine, shifts fine no slippage
- It will hit full rpm band

Problems:

- Takes a few seconds to start kinda like if it was a carb on a cold day
- Hesitates when apllying throttle generously off idle as if it was a carb on a cold day

So basically the problem is that its acting like an old carb on a cold day takes a few seconds b4 it will start and doesnt have any off idle power because it stutters when throttle is applied anyway other than very lightly

Can anyone pinpoint the problem any further with this new info?

If it does sound like the TPS or blowback problem what do I do to remedy this?

Thanks

May be fuel filter. My truck did that one time. I hadn't changed the filter in almost 45,000 miles. Changed it and haven't had a problem since.

Back