Jeep 4.0L to 4.5L stroker build

u knew this was coming
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_012909152853.jpg

Took another vid today with the magnaflow muffler and turn down. *With my computer speakers, the sub has to be turned up 75% to get a "realistic" sound.*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBLVAmg2T7g

I'm going back to the exhaust shop next week to have them complete the installation and bring the pipe all the way out the back. By then I'll have ~ 1k on the engine, so its time for the dyno test!

so did you keep running 87 or did you upgrade to midgrade?
what kind of compression do you think your puttin out?
I'm actually running premium in it right now. I bought a SCT tuner and then "accidentally" won a Hypertech Power Programmer 3 for cheap on Ebay. (Accidentally b/c I placed a bid with 3 days left and ended up being the only bid in the auction!) The HPP3 tuner has programs for 87 and 93 octane.

According to the compression calculator I was using on jeepstrokers.com I'm at ~ 9.25:1 SCR and 8.00:1 DCR.

Last week I added the HPP3 tune, a TB spacer ported to 62mm, and beveled the edges of my 62mm TB to eliminate an annoying whistle during part throttle. I'm not sure how much of an impact the HPP3 and the TB spacer made, but it feels like theres even more power now.

Anyone know anything about the SCT Tuners? I was told that they're infinitely better than the HPP3 due to their ability to be completely customized to your engine. The only downside is the SCT tune itself will be ~$150 and I have to get a wideband o2 data logger or go back to the dyno to read AFR's...

I'm actually running premium in it right now. I bought a SCT tuner and then "accidentally" won a Hypertech Power Programmer 3 for cheap on Ebay. (Accidentally b/c I placed a bid with 3 days left and ended up being the only bid in the auction!) The HPP3 tuner has programs for 87 and 93 octane.

According to the compression calculator I was using on jeepstrokers.com I'm at ~ 9.25:1 SCR and 8.00:1 DCR.

Last week I added the HPP3 tune, a TB spacer ported to 62mm, and beveled the edges of my 62mm TB to eliminate an annoying whistle during part throttle. I'm not sure how much of an impact the HPP3 and the TB spacer made, but it feels like theres even more power now.

Anyone know anything about the SCT Tuners? I was told that they're infinitely better than the HPP3 due to their ability to be completely customized to your engine. The only downside is the SCT tune itself will be ~$150 and I have to get a wideband o2 data logger or go back to the dyno to read AFR's...

has that POS died yet

has that POS died yet
i should have used elmers and not gorilla glue to hold the rod caps on. :shaking: maybee that calculator knows what i set the top ring gaps so we know what temp the cyls need to be to pop the tops of the pistons off maybee then the glue will fail:popcorn:

has that POS died yet

i should have used elmers and not gorilla glue to hold the rod caps on. :shaking: maybee that calculator knows what i set the top ring gaps so we know what temp the cyls need to be to pop the tops of the pistons off maybee then the glue will fail:popcorn:

Were you guys drinking and playing with each other again????:gay::shaking:

I had to tear back into it at the end of 2013.
Here's a cut and paste from my Jeepforum build thread.

Ended up tearing deeper into the engine than originally planned. Going to be basically doing a full rebuild on it again. The block, crank, and rods all needed work at the machine shop. Cut .035" off of the top of the block to take quench height down to ~ .050" with the Victor Reniz MLS head gasket. That should increase the compression for more power and run better with the better quench #. The compression calc on jeepstrokers.com is estimating 9.4 static and 8.1 dynamic compression ratio. Which is up from 8.8/7.6 CR before decking the block.

Machinist reconditioned the rods, said they needed a lot of work. Probably my fault for going with the cheapest I could find the first go around. Crank was turned to .040/.020 to clean it up.

Specs on the engine ended up:
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* H802CP pistons (18cc dish)
* 9.57:1 SCR / 8.28:1 DCR
* Block decked 0.035"
* Victor Reniz MLS Head Gasket
* 0.050" Quench
* Stock Injectors
* Ported Head
* 62mm TB
* 2.5" Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 50
* JBA Header

Stock injectors are delivering plenty of fuel. AFR is steady at 14.7 for normal driving and drops to upper 11's/lower 12's at WOT.

It's been running great since.

Last edited:
Back