JCZJ

J.C.

Volunteer
Bought Not Built

'97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2L V8, Auto, NV249 Quadra Trac transfer case, D30F, D44R, Rusty's 3" Lift Kit w/minimal fender trim, custom? square tube bumpers, 33" TOYO AT tires

Front drive shaft had been removed due to noise, I put in a front pinion bearing and then replaced the drive shaft. Power steering didn't work, replaced the PS pump. Engine wouldn't idle properly, replaced CTS and did minor tune up.

Put a LockRight I had laying on the shelf in the front, welded the rear, installed a WARN 8k winch and took it to Harlan for a test drive. Broke the rear track bar mount twice!

Took the track bar mount apart, it actually had a track bar mount extension on it, beefed it up with welded gusseting and took it to Uwharrie for a test drive. ATs suck, plus 3" of lift with 33x12.50s, even with some fender trimming doesn't provide enough clearance!

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in action tomorrow!

Picked up a 12 volt DC compressor in a trade. Has held 115 psi since I got it a few weeks ago so the system is tight! Worked good today to air up tires. A little slow, the motor ran most of the time we were airing up but it worked fine and the price was right!

Now you need long arms. Those stock arms are begging to be replaced.

Rocker Guards

After damaging the driver side rocker panel on the Baby Krawler (my old XJ) on it's first trip out, I knew I needed some protection, quick for the ZJ! I had already made a trip to Harlan and two trips to URE and was lucky I hadn't messed something up already.

I stopped by PM Tube in Greensboro and picked up some 2" square tube, chopped the ends and mocked it up.

Then I went to URE with BigClay last Monday and after checking out his rocker guards decided I need something that stuck out a little more and had more protection. Back to PM Tube and...........

Some sanding and prep work to make them look just right befitting a GRAND Cherokee.....

A couple of coats of Ace Satin Black...............

Looks awesome! See if I could just fabricate things it would save me a ton of $$! haha
So now you can really see what the ZJ can do!

Just as an FYI, on mine I used self tapping bolts on the unibody, make sure to not overtighten (which is real easy with the thin metal on the uni). I also have some small plates on the front that attaches to the rocker panel with some small screws, it helps keep it tight up against the rocker.

After I decided that I HAD to have 33" TSLs, not 31"s, I found that the front tires were still getting into the rear of the front fender. I needed a tad more lift, so, I installed a set of 1 3/4" coil spring spacers. That was just enough to throw the caster into Death Wobble territory :( While I was getting the steel for the rocker guards I had wisely also bought enough 2" tube to make some new control arms :)

Brandon, at RIDES, suggested moving the front axle forward 1 1/2". I fabbed up the lowers, installed them, and then set the pinion for the recommended caster. It was off about 10 degrees, no wonder it shimmied like Little Sheeba! Figure I have a 3.5" Rusty's lift with 1 3/4" spacers for a total of 5". I ended up making the lowers 17 1/2" eye to eye and the uppers 16 1/4" eye to eye which gave me a pinon angle of 86 degrees, caster of 8 degeres. I'll get it all together tomorrow and see if it still dances at 40 MPH :)

Looks good John :beer: You looking for some spare front axle shafts?

The new control arms, which reset the caster to where it needed to be, took care of the death wobble! Test drive today was nice and smooth at various speeds, acceleration and braking. Heading to Uwharrie tomorrow to give them an off road workout!

looks like you should push the rear back a bit aswell. do you not have any clearance issues at the front of the rear fenders?

So how did the new arms do?

Back