Jagged Edge

i was curious to know if this place ever got rolling... never heard much about it after it was first announced they were open for business. The phone number is in one of the archived threads if one of the admins would be able to look it up.

Let us know what you find out about them. I've been wanting to see some of their work and talk to them personally.

1) the site shouldnt be up anymore i dont think.
2) you can call Kyle Voigt at 336-399-8218 and talk to him...Chris Hill is the other owner but I dont have his number...

I live off that road and see their shop every Sat it's still open and going. Never stopped by cause I don't have a 4x4 at the moment. I think they always have vehicles there so they look busy anyways.

they did a buddy of mine's gears and locker in his tj, the c-clips weren't tightened or put back in right and a week later his axel shaft and some other stuff was destroyed...i guess it may have been something else but the signs point to them forgetting something, but then again people make mistakes and stuff can just happen sometimes. Everything else I have heard about them is good.

danielsapp414 said:
they did a buddy of mine's gears and locker in his tj, the c-clips weren't tightened or put back in right and a week later his axel shaft and some other stuff was destroyed...i guess it may have been something else but the signs point to them forgetting something, but then again people make mistakes and stuff can just happen sometimes. Everything else I have heard about them is good.

Hard to put a C-clip in wrong and still have the crossshaft pin and everything line up correctly. What kind of locker was it?

It was a Lock Rite, and just to clairfy I know the fella whose Jeep this is and he cracked the rear end open upon getting it back from Jagged Edge, yet prior to the problems listed.

If he drove it for a week I would bet that there is more to the story than something Chris and the guys up there did......

Why did he crack the cover when he got it back??? Was there a problem?

1) i talked to Kyle, from Jagged Edge........he went and looked at the thing, his clutch blew....which is why the jeep wont move...
2) assuming its the same jeep we are talking about...it has a D44 in the rear...which doesnt have c-clips...
3) he told me that he told the guy to bring the jeep back in a week to make sure all the fluids and seals and everything were ok......and he didnt.

so i think that most of this story has to do with the kids lack of care for the jeep. the TJ was already kinda ragged out anyways...

^yea thats more or less correct.....

from the story i heard, there was no problem with the work jagged edge had done...the problems were solely the fault of the driver, whom doesnt appear to be that great of a driver

also, he didnt take the jeep back to jagged edge when they asked him to so they could fix whatever was going on and continued to drive it in the messed up condition

To whom it may concern,

This reply is just to set the story straight and most importantly to express that there are not any hard feelings towards anyone. Yes, we installed gears into a TJ approximately a month ago. The gear and locker appear to be fine. To answer all things that may have been implied/assumed by multiple parties, the jeep has a d44; therefore, it would be impossible to forget the c-clips. The axle-shafts are retained by a flange behind the brake assembly.

After the installation, we test drove the vehicle and noticed that the axle shaft seal was leaking a little. We informed the customer of this along with a list of recommendations of items that need to be fixed/replaced for safety reasons. I expressed to him that we would replace the axle seal, change the diff fluid, and give it a quick once over at no charge for him the following weekend, but he never came back. However, he did try to replace the seal himself, but it looks like it is still leaking.

We received a call Sunday (yesterday) afternoon from the customer and his father explaining that the rear axle was broken. From their description, it sounded more like the clutch. We had not heard anything from him except for a call asking a question about how to replace the seal because he had tried and the seal was still leaking.

We drove to where the Jeep was left to stand behind our work and to lend a helping hand. Our best guess given the circumstances and what we had to work with in a parking lot is it appears that the clutch is slipping. Yes, I did remove the cover to look and everything appeared normal.

Sorry for such the long post. Just wanting to clear up the haze that has been created. Again there are no hard feelings towards anyone or what was said.

I look forward to getting the chance to work on the Jeep again.

Thanks Andy for standing up for us.
Chris

Jagged Edge = Quality

i retract anything negative that I said towards jagged edge...i have no bad feelings about them at all now
...i heard a first impression and was not given all the info from the person that told me about the tj situation
....after hearing the lengths they went to this past sunday by going all the way out to kernersville on a sunday evening and draining diff fluid, checking gears, resealing everything after the gears were not the issue and it was determined it was a clutch, and then going around the vehicle fixing miscellanious items for no charge whatsoever and explaining exactly what happened the time before (not at all fault of jagged edge). From what I hear now these people seem to be more knowledgable than most other local shops and do have a high standard of work with an emphasis on safety and having things done right and not just thrown together. I also hear that they emphasize trying to show people what needs to be done to their cars to make them work right and not telling people that they need to spend enormous amounts of money on things that are not needed.
People like the ones at Jagged Edge are a blessing to this sport. I do not know of any other type of shop in my area that would not have charged an arm and a leg to come look at something on Sunday that turned out to be unrelated to their work. Once again I would allow these people to work on any 4wd I ever owned. It is also amazing how Andy was right as usual being there was more to the story than anyone I know of was first told.....

OK just to set things straight I am the kid with the TJs older brother and would like to say that the situation between my brother and Jagged Edge was all a misunderstanding. The guys at Jagged Edge are awesome they helped us figure out everything and were really cool. They know their stuff and def. went beyond the call to help. No too many people would have driven out of their way on a Sunday to check out something that was no fault of thier own and even still hanging around and helping reconnect the sway bar for safety. Their emphasis on making sure things are don e properly really impressed me. I dont know why people decide to post about things when they don't know what is really going on. Now someone is giving the guys at Jagged Edge a bad review when he has never done business with them and someone is say my brothers jeep is ragged out and he cant drive and they have never even seen it let alone driven or worked on it or met my brother. Im not trying to jump in and be like hey dont pick on my little brother. He messed up by not taking the jeep back when he should have but that is something between him and the guys at Jagged Edge. My point here is lets try and not talk about things that we don't really know. I would highly recomend Jagged Edge. My experience with this situation has only strengthened my opinion of them. When the clutch went out they could have simply said "oh its your clutch, not our problem" but instead they hung around and helped make sure everything was going to be ok. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. There are no hard feelings, if anything I think higher of the guys. I also hope people will get the facts too before they decide to post, that goes for both sides. Thanks again to the guys at Jagged Edge I realy appreciate you going out of your way to help and hope to do more business with you in the future.
Jimmy

OK so if anyone hasnt already read the post about the guys at Jagged Edge let me give a review. They are really awesome guys who go out of their way to help someone in a bad situation. My brothers TJ had gears installed along with a lockrite. After the gears there was a leak, that my brother was informed of on the axle shaft.

Instead of taking it back to Jagged Edge the following weekend like instructed he had it repaired somewhere else. A day after having the seal replaced a problem occured with the shaft. Once again he took it to another shop to have the problem fixed.

A day after this was fixed his clutch went out. Unaware that it was the clutch he called the guys at Jagged Edge thinking the gears had locked up on him. After not dealing with them the whole time while the seal and shaft were replaced, the guys at Jagged Edge still drove all the way to Walkertown on a Sunday to check out the jeep and figure out the problem. They cracked open the dif. and inspected the perfectly installed gears and locker and also helped determine that the problem was the clutch.

These guys def. went out of their way and I honestly can not say enough good things about them. We felt like asses for making them drive all the way out to Walkertown on a Sunday for something that they had nothing to do with but I am very glad I got to see what kind of a business they really are. I was very impressed.

They have a strong emphasis on safety and making sure things are done correctly. My brother has learned a valuable leason from this and we both we extremely thankful for the guys at Jagged Edge. When they could have just shruged us off they stepped up and helped a young wheeler learn a leason.
Thanks again guys for all your help.

Jimmy

[EDITED by Sam..LONG paragraphs make my eyes hurt! :) ]

That wouldn't be the TJ at the Texico I saw on my way back from getting a J20 would it ?
We need to move this to shop referals or chit chat as well.

Moved, and merged with the existing thread.

Yeah thats the same jeep. Thanks for stopping to make sure everything was ok by the way. Sorry for double post. I origionaly posted the second one in the general tech section just as a review but it was edited and then moved to this section. Nice editing job by the way.

fattypackard said:
1) the site shouldnt be up anymore i dont think.
2) you can call Kyle Voigt at 336-399-8218 and talk to him...Chris Hill is the other owner but I dont have his number...
Is that the number to the shop or his personnal cell phone/home phone?
RYan

Back