Inventory Rant

loki_racer

This rant is not directed at any NC4x4 vendors. I have had problems with vendors on another forum and I hope vendors here don't do this to our members.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered a D30 truss from Iron Rock Offroad two weeks ago. I called today and found out that it is backordered. Their website doesn't note that it is backordered, and they didn't bother to call or email me.

Communication is key. I wouldn't be posting this rant if they had simply emailed me to say the truss was backordered. Hiding behind the internet and hoping that customers will simply be OK with 3+ week shipping delays is not acceptable.

If you are a small business owner, please learn to dedicate a small percentage of your time to demand/inventory forecasting. I understand there are costs associated with carrying stock, however, the costs associated with pissed of customers from shipping delays probably outweigh the cost of carrying stock.

To those that say you can have only two, quality, price or fast shipping, are simply wrong. I can order any number of computer parts today, and have them delivered tomorrow for bottom dollars. I understand this is on a different scale, but shows that this old adage is simply wrong.

i feel ya. the companies i order from have products listed for sale that havent been in stock for months... these are huge multimillion dollar companies that have the means to keep inventory and still dont.

I couldn't imagine a D44 truss is much different and would be fairly easy to modify to work with the D30...

Call Barnes, he has them listed on his website for a D44

I couldn't imagine a D44 truss is much different and would be fairly easy to modify to work with the D30...
Call Barnes, he has them listed on his website for a D44

The Iron Rock Offroad truss replaces all but the driver side upper control arm mount, including spring perches, shock mounts, includes inner C gussets.

I look like an amazing product, but very disappointed in their handling of the order.

Try this guy. I ordered awhile back for my Dana 60. Add as many or as little options that you'd like. Not sure how he compares on price, but just another option.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/front.aspx

Getting my order from TNT Customs took over 2 months if I remember correctly. Then when I got it, it was the completely wrong order. Oh, and they forgot to give me the NAXJA discount that I emailed and called them to remind them about.

Another horrible experience with 4x4 fab companies.

I can't say it enough, the response from NC4x4 members is 1000 times more useful than other forums. People would like I would learn my lesson and stop posting elsewhere.

have you tried calling a local fab shop and seeing how much they charge?

have you tried calling a local fab shop and seeing how much they charge?

This. Basically, a 5 foot piece of 2x6 and 2 UCA mounts would be all needed parts-wise. Cut to fit the centersection and burn it in.

Can you weld, Loki? Would be a fairly easy project if you can.

If I have it on my web site I have it in stock, that is why I can offer to pay the shipping if I do not ship it in one day.

Getting my order from TNT Customs took over 2 months if I remember correctly. Then when I got it, it was the completely wrong order. Oh, and they forgot to give me the NAXJA discount that I emailed and called them to remind them about.

Another horrible experience with 4x4 fab companies.

I can't say it enough, the response from NC4x4 members is 1000 times more useful than other forums. People would like I would learn my lesson and stop posting elsewhere.

Bah, that sucks for ya man. Yeah he was slow as Christmas IIRC. He did quote me a 6 week lead time which he met. You might have enough luck on here to have someone buzz you one together. I'm sure most of the heavy hitters on here could put you a kit together.

Yeah Loki, x1000 on you getting a welder. :flipoff2:

You have the worst luck with vendors. That being said, Chris at Marsfab was pretty kick ass on both of our jeeps. Wonder what he would charge to build you a truss?

Come visit me one saturday and play with the welder. I am not certified but can get you started.

Another plug for Barnes4x4 :beer: In stock and normally get it next day!
As for the welding, I am sure most of us started out the same with no skills. Myself before internet with trial and error. Do some research and grab a few pcs of metal. If you are mechanically inclined, you will get it in no time, if you are not, well it may take a while....from what I have seen..:lol:

If I may plug local shops here...

When you deal with a local shop. Many times they can help steer you clear of bad vendors, and/or bad products, as well as offer good technical advice. And generally, if the local shop is of good caliber, they will handle the headaches, and the communication hassles that can become a part of product ordering. All this, generally available at comparable prices!

Before ordering, call your local shop first! Tell em what you have been looking at and see if they can help you! To be sure, that part costs nothing! And it will probably even save you $$ and headaches when all is said and done!

Im in an opinion mode so here goes:

Assuming you got the HD lower control arms added to that truss which are the weakest part of a 30 your at like $400 bucks for a Dana 30, kinda of alot of money if you ask me to spend on a 30. considering you have to completely clean off the hole housing brackets remove axle and reinstall and still weld it on, alot of work. Therefore not alot of demand as im sure others feel the same way. They probably developed it and dont sell many and they build upon order. mix in some holiday and man were talkin lead times, b/c there not going to dump 5 or 6 grand on a slow mover, this increases cost b/c there is no bulk buying discount on the parts going into it and there basically one offs so there slow to make high cost.

Second if you ordered online they should have called you and said hey we have to make.... lead time is X do you still want it, if you called in order they should have informed you at time of order.

3rd Iron rock is not a bad company. I think some of there design/innovations are not our style they are too expensive for the margin of strength or upgrade that you get, I could list a few and this truss would be one of them. However they have done RD and put some products out for jeeps that others have not. New ideas that arent copy cats, at least there not dropshipping from their basement as a side job. They are committed to the jeep market and offer some solutions, and they do actually have product just not this product.

I believe a better solution for said axle that would include you supporting local businesses that would benefit your bank account and the local bus.
Problem? Need D30 braced/beefed up
Solution?
We have some Toy 8 trusses or could have one bent up for a 30, I have 5-10 in stock $30
We have D30 HD lower control 5-10 sets in stock $30
We have c gussets in stock for JK and some other stuff that would work- $65
You'll have to modify some of the pieces to fit but thats okay b/c stripping a 30 would be way more work.

Your at $135 shipped to somewhere in NC next day delivery, Alex at carolina truggies is a hell of a welder and is in the charlotte area or im sure others in a 30 mile radius of you.

I would estimate $200 labor to weld these parts on and the 30 would be plenty strong to handle anything the balljoints, unit bearings, and 760 ujoints are gonna handle. you need more than this and the truss will be the least of your concerns.

Let me throw a Jab in at ballistic before I move on, they cant ship a box much less parts in the box on time (on time being 3 weeks) and yet people still order from them and they seem to grow its beyond me.

On to inventory building inventory takes total commitment. In order to buy new inventory to put in stock. you have to make a profit. pay the government about 37% of it, pay yourself and then whats leftover can go back into product.

We have more inventory then anybody in NC, have a brick and mortar building with 5 service bays now located hwy 70 convienent to hwy 85, hwy 40, and a mile from 540, the raleigh,durham,cary chapel hill area has over 1.7 million people and is the fastest growing metro in the nation. And we sell more product/services to 9 other states before NC wholesale excluded. As I write this I wonder how is this possible. Maybe poor marketing but I guess we have decided to put money into inventory and not expensive marketing. In hopes the community would support the spread. Needless to say I tear up when someone in NC on this board has an axle issue concerning inventory or anything else axle related. We are committed is the local commmunity.

We have built some great relationships with some awesome offroad shops that share a common commitment in NC. Carolina truggies, RIDES, BARNES, MUDPRO, WILSONS, low range, and others. There are some players in your backyard, let them help and build there business. They might not stock what you have in mind but this is what they do and I bet they can steer you in the right direction.

Nice!

Oh the irony.

I tried out a company that is selling dyneema synthetic winch rope for a VERY good deal. The reviews on Pirate4x4 so far have all been positive, so I ordered some for the TJ.

So far I can't report on anything because I still haven't received my rope.

Ordered winch line on the 20th.
Credit card charged on the 20th

Still have not received anything.

Called them on the 27th, was told they were backordered and that my order would go out on the 28th, followed by a tracking number.

Still no tracking number received and it's the 30th, so I called again. Was now told my order must have been lost in their system and they will send one out today.

Finally got my tracking number- UPS Ground. Thanks for the gesture.

Maybe I'll get it by Tuesday or Wednesday and can post pics.

Back