Infrared Propane Turkey Fryer

Paul

Dr 'Dre
Ever use one? I've oil fried at least a hundred or so and have that recipe down pat.This Thanksgiving i'll be cooking at a beachfront crib on Hatteras Island. Rodanthe exactly. My sister recently had a stroke and is kinda restricted dietarily on saturated fat intake. So 'Dre is leaving the peanut oil at home. Laugh away at me trying to cook healthy, lol!

Any real world experience?

TIA, Paul...

"Maybe" the NC4x4 team mom could start a cooking sub forum. Just a suggestion so i don"t have to dig around for the potato soup recipe every fall.

Ever use one? I've oil fried at least a hundred or so and have that recipe down pat.This Thanksgiving i'll be cooking at a beachfront crib on Hatteras Island. Rodanthe exactly. My sister recently had a stroke and is kinda restricted dietarily on saturated fat intake. So 'Dre is leaving the peanut oil at home. Laugh away at me trying to cook healthy, lol!

Any real world experience?

TIA, Paul...

"Maybe" the NC4x4 team mom could start a cooking sub forum. Just a suggestion so i don"t have to dig around for the potato soup recipe every fall.

Never used an infrared fryer. How about smoking a turkey? I've had great results with that.

I've done it. Used my same dry rub deep fry recipe.
Itso tasty enough, but not quite the deep fried satisfactin.

Kinda like laying pipe in a rain jacket. Beats no action, not as good as the real thing, but the satisfaction of knowing you did the responsible thing offsets the loss

I have The Big Easy oil less fryer. It’s the best turkey me and my family have ever eat. Uses propane and cooks through infrared heat. Stupid simple. Got it here at the house if you wanna take a look. Hell, I’ll let you borrow it and take it with you to the coast. You got my number.

I Love Fried food, but never had fried Turkey. Saturday, visited a close Arby's to try they'rs. I had the fried club sandwich. What an Expensive disappointment! Tasted just like any regular roasted turkey! Was telling a friend about it & he says the Same. Fried turkey taste the same as any other turkey! What!?!

I've been debating on whether or not I should buy a fryer this year, I just hate the fact I will only use the thing a hand full times a year. Looks like I'll be smokin' :smokin: some birds this year. @mommucked care to share your brine recipe?

I've learned that the brining and prep process matters about as much, if not more than how you cook it.
I'd imagine a properly brined and IR cooked bird would be fantastic. The brining will help with the drying out problem.

I've learned that the brining and prep process matters about as much, if not more than how you cook it.
I'd imagine a properly brined and IR cooked bird would be fantastic. The brining will help with the drying out problem.
I've been cooking thanksgiving for my 30+ family for 8 years now and I bake 2 25lb turkeys in the oven! but like @RatLabGuy said brine and prep truly makes the protein!!! I also stuff my turkeys halfway through cooking with smoked apples inside grapes and one onion all seasoned with sage and family secret recipe from the deep voodoo south!!!

Ive been on fence of buying a big deep fryer but healthy is what I'd prefer these days! What's going price on these propane infrared cookers? I feel like it would dry em out!??

X2 with Rockcity & Ron. Have a friend with a Big Easy. It's almost as good peanut oil. I've fried with corn oil also. Might be an option if peanut is the problem.

I like smoking them, but while traveling might not be the best option. Masterbuilt makes a tailgate propane smoker, or the 14" WSM charcoal smoker.

I've been debating on whether or not I should buy a fryer this year, I just hate the fact I will only use the thing a hand full times a year. Looks like I'll be smokin' :smokin: some birds this year. @mommucked care to share your brine recipe?

This one is probably the best recipe I've tried... Apple-Brined and Smoked Turkey Recipe I add a cup of soy sauce and a palmful of black peppercorns

You must use an all natural turkey, not a self basting or one w any % of a solution added or the bird will be too salty w the brine. I brine the birds 24/48 hrs. in the fridge in food grade buckets I got at wallyworld. I rinse the brine off/out of the turkey and dry it w paper towels then let them sit an hour or so @ room temp before smoking them.

I smoke the birds on a Chargriller Deluxe dumping a full charcoal starter of Kingsford piled up against the intake side and the birds on the other side, away from the coals. 250/300* ish takes 6-7+ hours for 2, 12 lb birds. I soak some white oak splits/about 3" thick, overnight in a 5 gallon bucket w a quart of apple juice added to the water and let it dry a few hours before putting one against the coals when the birds go on. I add another piece on top of the coals each time the temp. starts to drop. 2/3 hrs or so, and maybe some more unlit coals and spray the skin w apple juice. The damp wood burns/smokes slowly and I choke the fire to keep the temp below 300. Applewood chunks or wet chips are good too. You can smoke turkey hotter/faster but I think they are more tender and juicy smoking them slower and longer.

Last edited:
I Love Fried food, but never had fried Turkey. Saturday, visited a close Arby's to try they'rs. I had the fried club sandwich. What an Expensive disappointment! Tasted just like any regular roasted turkey! Was telling a friend about it & he says the Same. Fried turkey taste the same as any other turkey! What!?!
Please do not use Arby's as a example of what fried turkey should taste like. I had the arby's Gobbler or whatever they call it, horrible. Taste like cranberry sauce and brown mustard, did't taste anything else.

Decision made. Big Easy oil less fryer is on the way. $85 delivered from Academy Sports.
Gonna use @mommucked 's brine recipe because it sounds badass.
If i crash and burn on this, i'll tell ya. That's why my smoker will have my version of a Honey Baked ham on it for back up.
Rubbed in dijon mustard and brown sugar. Basted with pineapple juice.
And i appreciate all the advice!
Just hope me and my sister can stay out of jail till my kids get there to supervise us...
;):beer:

I've been brining chicken/pork/turkey for a while now and I have never had anything be dry, chewy and not delicious even if it was grilled/smoked a little too long. I'm sure the IR cooker will work fine. Proper brining a whole turkey/chicken will flavor the entire bird including the middle of the breast meat while keeping it moist/juicy.

Yo @mommucked used your brine recipe today. Turned out great. Thanks brother.
Paul.

Attachments

• 229477A9-466E-403D-879F-D26B044B2256.jpeg
    229477A9-466E-403D-879F-D26B044B2256.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 4861B775-2359-41FC-8253-4F14864E29F8.jpeg
    4861B775-2359-41FC-8253-4F14864E29F8.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 300
Paul.
I will second that brine recipe was awesome. We did two turkeys in it. Will defiantly be doing that brine for next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Paul.

I will second that brine recipe was awesome. We did two turkeys in it. Will defiantly be doing that brine for next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Now ya'll need to try some brined pork chops..............

Beer-Brined Grilled Pork Chops

Newcastle and Guinness are great beers for this recipe but any dark or red beer is better than a blonde for a pork brine IMO.

The thin 1/2" or so, bone in value pack chops work well but they only need to be brined for 45 mins/hour or so or they get too salty. Thicker cuts can be brined for hours.
After brining be sure to rinse them rubbing them gently, one at a time under running water to wash off some of the salt in the brine and lay them out on a pan and pat them dry w paper towels.
Now you can dust them w a rub or spices you like, but they will not need much salt or rubs w a lot of salt because of the brining.
The thin chops I grill on hot coals like a steak, about 3 or 5 minutes, flip and about 3 mins. on the other side.
Thicker cuts I brine longer and grill on less heat or indirectly/smoke.
Pork chops brined and grilled like this are tender and juicy, even when you re-heat the leftovers ( if there are any) the next night.

I have never grilled pork chops/loins/ribs etc. w/o beer brining since the first time I tried it.
You can also tweak any brine recipes you find by adding your own additions herbs,fruits,veggies, spices, peppers, sauces etc. just cut some of the salt in the brine recipe if you add salty flavoring like soy sauce etc.

Last edited:
Back