Incompetent gear install

scrubber3

I'll refrain from staying who did this publicly for now. (Edit: Get Ugly Offroad) I took my jeep to a local offroad shop for a gear swap. 4.88 Yukon front and rear. I got it back with some bad noises. I took it back the next week. They kept it for 4 days. Fixed nothing. Want to guess what it sounds like by looking at the pictures? I opened it up because he said the noise was from the outer axle bearings. So before I opened it up to check, I ordered Koyo bearings and seals. I opened it up today. Took these pictures. Swapped the bearings. Of course it still makes the same exact noise. Oh, and there was no thread locker on the pin retaining bolt. Of course there is now.

Enjoy the pictures. Im completely open to discussion. Please fire away! Lol. I need ammo for when I go back again this week.
503a10a83dca1fbd43530f35b924f266.jpg
8c7ec245bc299214bbb011d55542ad32.jpg
d9e7d75cc514380134507355921fc20c.jpg

Last edited:
Two things:

1. If you opened it up and saw that, why did you bother changing the bearings?

2. Was it Webber Offroad?

Also, you should be able to get all of your money back, or they pay another shop to do it it the right way! Those gears are trashed and now need to be replaced again. I hope it works our good for you and they don't try to screw you!

Hope you get your coin back.

Not webber. I was looking for a place in Fayetteville. A friend pointed me in their direction. Him and I will have a chat later.

Yeah, I totally agree the gears are trashed. The reason why I did the bearing install was simply because I had them.

Around fayettenam is most likely two different offroad shops. Performance or Wilsons. Either one of them I would believe to be capable of this. I used to like performance but they have gone in the shitter without certain working there anymore.
Either way I hope you get it made right!

No. Wilson's had it for 40 days and never touched it. So I went and got it back. That was about 2 years ago. Not performance either.

Have you talked with them yet?

Wow. Not only is the pattern way out of spec, but what's with the clearanced teeth? Incompetent? That's putting it mildly.

Clearanced teeth are for the cross pin, this is what it should look like if done properly. On an 8.25 once you get in the lower gear ratios the ring gear gets thicker.

sAaXSMrKuF2rdbEXl4StLHvz5hh2ORXWsS6tkrF7duCnZDaMq3lO14OnJOgbGkyS_MuqSmfZwDZGrRdfQmLD1lf_Jt3g_ygW0XBL5Ir6nTzlNCJmlCcQnNY6sQyxvrQgpReqxIct-HV7q-Z6w13ACFlwak-3RAGCz392ao3X5WXpfc12lsyYMM9qO8bSvK_46Rq9-AT1oz-DvEJj1Jgv8523VrxDlmu0xiw7dBCsgdO6482_5MlnbuZ0-WtoszIduD-6NbwRwChQ-zT0S80tYRoGq5NumytjFVeZuGRujrcSF8DDewmLsJYnD2ibkoLAnvD0-PM48FHbFE-GtWBHkmm40PFSA5IY8Ahe5BiDD9-EebwxPe83EYWhGpfod1Zdogu34t7WmXOftJrixCPaEEyf3AwZ3Kn3cKa2KLEyszxUBCQDeWKa3T9-0T8nAqfcjxOanYwtw8I_IqPsP_Buojqcm8fAiJ3uA1-10G3x9tgE6T3kvl0h1Hm1XAedHEkSVLGRduor_P99Uaqv5Py3m_SeQRlaOrTzNxdknEai8RNvvKpEWzkKKcGAJcGX2UXyNfi-Yi23QpgQiUuxHHcNswBxr5JRUPxFH4Qbk19je3nnCCsn3QieZcwcwF4Aa8ZznY086388T0387xCn_cmctJsIa16OdnXSFp5e6fA-kjRmSe3GAtczHUw=w531-h944-no

To the OP you need a new gear set, that Freddy Kruger cross pin clearance is more than likely where you noise is coming from, that and the pattern look poor too. Your more than likely screwed either way you look at this. For one you touched it before taking it back, and for two even if you took it back and agreed to fix it your just getting the same poor gear install as before. I'd shoot for a refund and take to a shop that reputable.

Not to add fire to the situation but that gear cut in the root doesn't look like a high(er) quality set does, I'd double check that along with the setup in the front.

Edit: Hang on did you change the wheel bearings or the carrier bearings?

Clearanced teeth are for the cross pin, this is what it should look like if done properly. On an 8.25 once you get in the lower gear ratios the ring gear gets thicker.

sAaXSMrKuF2rdbEXl4StLHvz5hh2ORXWsS6tkrF7duCnZDaMq3lO14OnJOgbGkyS_MuqSmfZwDZGrRdfQmLD1lf_Jt3g_ygW0XBL5Ir6nTzlNCJmlCcQnNY6sQyxvrQgpReqxIct-HV7q-Z6w13ACFlwak-3RAGCz392ao3X5WXpfc12lsyYMM9qO8bSvK_46Rq9-AT1oz-DvEJj1Jgv8523VrxDlmu0xiw7dBCsgdO6482_5MlnbuZ0-WtoszIduD-6NbwRwChQ-zT0S80tYRoGq5NumytjFVeZuGRujrcSF8DDewmLsJYnD2ibkoLAnvD0-PM48FHbFE-GtWBHkmm40PFSA5IY8Ahe5BiDD9-EebwxPe83EYWhGpfod1Zdogu34t7WmXOftJrixCPaEEyf3AwZ3Kn3cKa2KLEyszxUBCQDeWKa3T9-0T8nAqfcjxOanYwtw8I_IqPsP_Buojqcm8fAiJ3uA1-10G3x9tgE6T3kvl0h1Hm1XAedHEkSVLGRduor_P99Uaqv5Py3m_SeQRlaOrTzNxdknEai8RNvvKpEWzkKKcGAJcGX2UXyNfi-Yi23QpgQiUuxHHcNswBxr5JRUPxFH4Qbk19je3nnCCsn3QieZcwcwF4Aa8ZznY086388T0387xCn_cmctJsIa16OdnXSFp5e6fA-kjRmSe3GAtczHUw=w531-h944-no

To the OP you need a new gear set, that Freddy Kruger cross pin clearance is more than likely where you noise is coming from, that and the pattern look poor too. Your more than likely screwed either way you look at this. For one you touched it before taking it back, and for two even if you took it back and agreed to fix it your just getting the same poor gear install as before. I'd shoot for a refund and take to a shop that reputable.

Not to add fire to the situation but that gear cut in the root doesn't look like a high(er) quality set does, I'd double check that along with the setup in the front.
Right on. Thank you

Is that the front?

Edit: disregard I was thinking of someone else that busted some 4.88s lately. My bad

Last edited:
"Not to add fire to the situation but that gear cut in the root doesn't look like a high(er) quality set does, I'd double check that along with the setup in the front."

That's not the factory cut. Looks to be the depth of the gear engagement. The fanned profile of wear is also working through the hardened face already.

Any further use and your risking a much larger failure. Of loaded or towing your asking for a lot of heat.

The grinding was a horrible clearance job for the pin......gouging the carrier isn't the best either. Speaks of the over all lack of professional quality.

Went back today and spoke with them. They said they will reorder the gear sets and do it right this time. I told them id be opening them both back up afterwards to inspect after I get them back. Fingers crossed. I'll update when it's done.

Last edited:
Went back today and spoke with them. They said they will reorder the gear sets and do it right this time. Fingers crossed. I told them id be opening them both back up afterwards to inspect after I get them back. Fingers crossed. I'll update when it's done.
Make them send you pattern pics and backlash readings prior to buttoning them up.
That'll tell you everything you need to know

I do that so folks know what they're getting under the cover

Make them send you pattern pics and backlash readings prior to buttoning them up.
That'll tell you everything you need to know

I do that so folks know what they're getting under the cover
That's actually quite professional. Very CYA as well......cause when in doubt.......

Back