I'm confused, What should I do?

sqlhawkn

I have a 1988 toyota truck 4x4 that has the 3.0 V-6, 255k miles, AT, PS, PW, etc....The truck has been sitting for almost two years. I got it to crank but it needs some work. New engine, fuel pump, possible transmission, etc. The body is super nice, very minimal rust, clean interior. With my limited funds, should I sell it and find something running, or keep it and fix it. I guess the main concern is with the engine swap that it needs & the cost for the engine and labor. What does that cost usually?? Thats the main thing that needs to be done. Or what would the truck sale for as-is? Sorry for the long post but I am not sure what to do.

Well lets be honest. What kind of money are you able/willing to put into this? I think that will dictate the direction.

Why does it "need a new engine"?
Is it just the mileage or is there a noticeable problem i.e. burning oil, knocking, lost compression, etc.

If its simply a matter of high mileage and and concern Id say sell it, someone will probably drive it as is, and being a Yota probably run another year.

If there is a major issue with the motor, and you are honest with folks you will not likely get what it would be worth to you with a rebuild or replacement motor.

Just my $.02 worth
Remember its free advice and most would say its worth exactly what you paid for it...

I'd drop in a rebuilt long block, and rebuild the trans (make sure it doesn't just need a service), then drive it for another 255k miles

is it a pickup, 4runner, xcab ?????

dont put another 3.slow in if you do a motor swap, do a 3.4. its a simple swap, there are several good writeups on pirate about it. the 3.4 is just an evolution of the 3.0

Did you check the oil? If it's just a knock, I'd drive it till it quits and them put in a 3.4 or something. It'll probably run longer than you think like that. Also check to see if the timing belt has been done recently (mileage wise.)

Back