If you are considered "Essential" ....

Biomed technician. I repair low temp sterilizers

Inquiring about new uniform shirts in the morning....
12158768-B451-49FC-A1C5-7324C0707A9D.jpeg

Looks like I'm no longer "essential". The mill announced this morning we'll be down for three months :(

Damn. So did they lay everyone off or are they still paying anything to salaried employees? Sucks. And think of all the industry in their supply chain things like this will affect too..

Damn. So did they lay everyone off or are they still paying anything to salaried employees? Sucks. And think of all the industry in their supply chain things like this will affect too..
Everyone. Salary and hourly. They will give us two weeks pay and then we get on unemployment.

Guess they have more than 500 employees which sucks..

If less does gov-co kick in somehow?

The stimulus bill past late last week.
As long as you have less than 500 employees you can get (a bunch) of money from the government as a loan, as long as you dont lay anyone off you never have to repay the loan and its forgiven.
Lots of companies will be keeping employees on the payroll just to get the "loans".

The stimulus bill past late last week.
As long as you have less than 500 employees you can get (a bunch) of money from the government as a loan, as long as you dont lay anyone off you never have to repay the loan and its forgiven.
Lots of companies will be keeping employees on the payroll just to get the "loans".

1) 2.5x avg monthly gross payroll during 2019
2) Health Benefit coverage
3) Expenses related to payroll, utilities, rent (or mortgage interest) the following 8 weeks after loan origination...otherwise you owe the difference, but it's something stupid low like 1%

Edit...but have to be quick, Wells Fargo already hit the amount they're supposed to loan, and allocations are first come first serve. Expected to be fully depleted by Wednesday.

1) 2.5x avg monthly gross payroll during 2019
2) Health Benefit coverage
3) Expenses related to payroll, utilities, rent (or mortgage interest) the following 8 weeks after loan origination...otherwise you owe the difference, but it's something stupid low like 1%

Edit...but have to be quick, Wells Fargo already hit the amount they're supposed to loan, and allocations are first come first serve. Expected to be fully depleted by Wednesday.
Do you have a useful link with more info on this?

Thermo Fisher Scientific. We make laboratory equipment, ultra low temp freezers, ovens chillers Etc.. Im the Engineer for the Fabrication department.

Wife is an RN at Mission.

Healthcare providers and first responders are the everyday heroes through this.

Last edited:
Do you have a useful link with more info on this?

Most useful info I've gotten are PDF summaries from various sources. Each bank's requirements/interpretations are slightly different. I chatted with South State, 5/3, Regions and BB&T/Suntrust (Truist). Ended up going Truist because they seemed to be the most on top of things. Edit...Also important to note, you must have been a client with the bank prior to 2/15/20 in a lot of cases.

Small Business | Truist Bank

Double edit...if I hadn't fubar'd a couple calculations yesterday, it would have been about a 2 hour process start to finish, collecting data to final application submission.

One of the unintended results employers are having to face is employees.

the employees think that since this $ is available to the employer, they should be able to sit at home and still get paid during this time. While this may be the case for some, it’s not necessarily the case with construction where things are busy. But many of those guys want to be home and get paid. It’s frustrating dealing with those types.

One of the unintended results employers are having to face is employees.

the employees think that since this $ is available to the employer, they should be able to sit at home and still get paid during this time. While this may be the case for some, it’s not necessarily the case with construction where things are busy. But many of those guys want to be home and get paid. It’s frustrating dealing with those types.

I told my employees the money isn't for today...it's for 2 months from now when we are forcibly shut down, and they want to get paid then. It's for the months we come up short because customers were shut down or don't have the cash flow to place orders. It's not bonus money, it's a rainy day fund.

I told my employees the money isn't for today...it's for 2 months from now when we are forcibly shut down, and they want to get paid then. It's for the months we come up short because customers were shut down or don't have the cash flow to place orders. It's not bonus money, it's a rainy day fund.

exactly. If it’s safe and work is available, we have the duty to keep the guys working. But we aren’t sending people home just because the $ is out there. It’s for when the $ finally dries up from clients or there is a forced shut down.

and, if they are getting paid for construction work, they better be at work, not at home. Even if the shop needs painting 3 times, or there is trash in the parking lot, or there is a dirty window, mulch needs spread, or even a piece of gum on the sidewalk that needs cleaning up.

I am a PM/Estimator for a commercial framing, drywall, ACT contractor.
Wife works for a law firm.

We are just happy to have jobs and a paycheck.
I am struggling to find work for my guys right now due to other places being shut down (no cash flow) or renovations being deemed non-essential.
One job is asking us to cut our drywall in half so one guy can hang it and stay 6ft away from other people.
Makes for a nice butt joint...

Machine builder here, I have flipped back and forth between essential and not depending on who is asking. I have been working on a hand sanitizer retro-fit filling / packaging machine for the last couple of days.

I saw a woman wearing a mask and gloves in her car today, wiping the interior down with sani-wipes at a stop light, while she was in the car by herself.....

I am a PM/Estimator for a commercial framing, drywall, ACT contractor.
Wife works for a law firm.

We are just happy to have jobs and a paycheck.
I am struggling to find work for my guys right now due to other places being shut down (no cash flow) or renovations being deemed non-essential.
One job is asking us to cut our drywall in half so one guy can hang it and stay 6ft away from other people.
Makes for a nice butt joint...
Did you tell them as long as you can double your finishing budget? At least put the factory edges together at 6' .

It is kinda tough to social distance in a 40' boom basket while hanging sheathing or installing ice and water shield that's what my guys were doing today.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thermo Fisher Scientific. We make laboratory equipment, ultra low temp freezers, ovens chillers Etc.. Im the Engineer for the Fabrication department.
Shit, at times I feel like I must be setting up a nice retirement for you, as much as we order from Fisher.
They of course make or sell everything... what equipment do you fab? Wonder if I have some in my lab. PM if you'd rather.

Back