I wanna put one of these on my Jeep

Ya know, there are some cars that it just doesn't matter what you do to them, they are still not cool. However, that is a very cool project with some nice work. Its just a shame he didn't pick something worthy.

The scooter will not be street legal. A guy did this in Texas already in 99'. They would not make it street legal because of safety. I am pretty sure Cali is a lot more sticked than Texas is so I dont think it would work there.

P.S. He drove it on street right outside of San Antonio All the time. We would all take our Sport bikes out there and then he would come and keep up with us. IT was pretty cool.

....uhh...go to a company that makes jet engines and purchase one. Of course you have to show that you are "legal" to work on one. A degree in the feild is not enough. The guy that build the moped jet in Tx in 99 was going to University of Tx aquiring his degree and built the toy as a final.

nice... I know Jay Leno has a jet powered motorcycle, was limited production cycle!

Hmm, wonder what the mpg is on one of those, not much I don't imagine heh

Sam

With those old helicopter engines you can pick them up cheap. That is how they end up in cars and on motorcycles. After a certain number of hours in service they are trash. You have to pull them and put in a new one even if the old one is operating at 100%. The same goes for a lot of the functional parts of helicopters. But the definition of cheap is kind of up in the air.;)

jeepercreature said:
....uhh...go to a company that makes jet engines and purchase one. Of course you have to show that you are "legal" to work on one. A degree in the feild is not enough. The guy that build the moped jet in Tx in 99 was going to University of Tx aquiring his degree and built the toy as a final.

Buy surplus from the government:
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=914830

Ever see the tractor pullers with jet engines? I don't think those guys have a PHD to own or work on them! They might have some experiance from the military, but gas turbin engines are not overly complex.

jeepercreature said:

...You can buy them off of ebay all day long...

Or you can build you're own pulsejet pretty easily.

OBX Fisherman said:
Buy surplus from the government:
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=914830
Ever see the tractor pullers with jet engines? I don't think those guys have a PHD to own or work on them! They might have some experiance from the military, but gas turbin engines are not overly complex.

O, I was just telling you my experince with them. I called my wife and talked to her and no. Not just anyone can buy one. Something about terrorist?

braxton357 said:
...You can buy them off of ebay all day long...

Or you can build you're own pulsejet pretty easily.

Maybe you cant buy them from a company like the one my wifes work without some type of proof you know what you are doing. May just be a company thing.

It's possible, there was a guy in aus building a homemade cruise missle just because and doing a pretty good job of it, then he was apparently told to stop...

Just talked to her again to make sure I was not wrong. She said the owner will sell them to people (say if someone owns a jet and needs to have it replace) they will sell it to that person but they sign a lot of paperwork that all basiclly says, the company nor manufacture is not responable for any misuse. You also have to provide some proof that the person working on the engine is quilified. But she said that was more for warranty information.

The REAL question, seems to me, is... would YOU want to pull up behind one at a red light?

Trebissky said:
The REAL question, seems to me, is... would YOU want to pull up behind one at a red light?
Before I got to the 2nd page of this thread, I was already thinking about that. Street legal???????

I dont know about street legal but it sure would help you get up one of those real steep hillclimbs offroad. Just be sure to let off the throttle before you get to the top or you might need some wings as well!

Back