I love Elephants - but we need to slay them, eat their flesh, and wear their skins.

My brother-in-law has a saying: "Don't point a gun at anything that you don't have every intention of eating." My father-in-law instilled those words into him as a kid when he got his first rifle and was caught shooting squirrels and opossum. He didn't mind eating the squirrel, but apparently eating the opossum was enough of a life lesson to stop shooting stuff "just because". He is an avid hunter and provides a great deal of venison, quail and pheasant for his family. Occasionally a wild turkey, too (although I prefer my wild turkey with Coke).

Shooting to protect is a whole different subject.

Then there's always:

Not do I.
The bolded is where we depart philosophically on this particular issue.

You are obviously an educated dude and smart guy. You seem to like to read a lot. Read 'A sand county Almanac by A Leupold when you have a free afternoon and see if it in any way shaped your thinking.

Remember it's written by a staunch conservative. A vociferous defender of 2A and an avid outdoorsman.

With that back drop it's pretty impactful to the discussion at hand.

I'll have to order that on Kindle and check it out. The reviews sound great on it.

Leopold is a fascinating dude.
He is basically responsible for the Grand Canyon area not being overly developed. He created the "Wilderness Area" classification though it bastardized into something he most assuredly would not be a proponent of.
If Pinchot is the father of forestry, then Leopold is his son in many ways.

Back