I love Elephants - but we need to slay them, eat their flesh, and wear their skins.

I'm not educated enough on the population dynamics to have an opinion
There is also the nuance of the multiple species of elephants, some co habitating but not inter reproducing.

Some of the genetically unique species are in the low teens in global numbers.

I'm not educated enough on the population dynamics to have an opinion
There is also the nuance of the multiple species of elephants, some co habitating but not inter reproducing.

Some of the genetically unique species are in the low teens in global numbers.

And those I completely support working on bringing back. We've accomplished some fantastic conservation efforts on bringing critters back from extinction. But I should have clarified I was talking about African Elephants.

Fact- Anyone that goes to Africa to stand there and shoot an elephant is a guaranteed asshole. For that reason alone I support the ban.
i agree whit that statement, but just because you have to be stupid rich to do it.....

well kinda a good friend that is a smoke jumper goes to africa once a year with the guys he works with and does a hunt not for elephant but same basic concept as the elephant hunts. they target animals that are messing with crops. goes for two weeks and it only cost him around 6,500 he said and usually takes 4-6 different species this year he got to take a hippo.

Fact- Anyone that goes to Africa to stand there and shoot an elephant is a guaranteed asshole. For that reason alone I support the ban.

Let's be somewhat rational(I say somewhat because I tend to be very tongue in cheek) - and tell me what makes a person an asshole for shooting an elephant?

Is there some sort of moral argument? Economic? Social?

Let's be somewhat rational(I say somewhat because I tend to be very tongue in cheek) - and tell me what makes a person an asshole for shooting an elephant?

Is there some sort of moral argument? Economic? Social?

Hunting an Elephant is like Hunting a Cow.
How much sport is there in Angus hunting.

Hunting an Elephant is like Hunting a Cow.
How much sport is there in Angus hunting.

I agree somewhat, except Elephants are known to charge people and kill around 500 people a year. So it's probably a little more exciting?

I don't think there is much sport in it, except the adventure of going to Africa and being in brush. (I guess you could go to India, but meh). But conservation, which includes hunting/culling, is a necessity to manage wild game populations.

Last edited:
I've seen a handful of my friends post about it on Facebook. Every single one of them read it as "Trump reverses ban on all elephant hunting".

Hunting elephants was only banned in countries with very low populations. Some countries never banned it. The import of ivory for commercial purposes was banned, but never for an individual...just limited to two per year. The ONLY thing I can find that this is allowing is the import of ivory from Zambia and Zimbabwe now, for an individual, after you apply for an expensive permit...even then, you still can't sell it unless it's over 100 years old.

Did I miss anything? That's all I could find on it, for real.

Hell I don’t see the problem Rich people hunt elephants, some rich people fly around the world feeding you bullshit about global warming. If I had filthy rich money I’d do about what the hell I wanted to.

Moo, bitches...

You ever stayed up all night hunting cows that are out? Now I’m telling you that will wear your ass out.
I have.
Agreed.
But if I was using a .700 NE....I think it would have been easier

I don't shoot at anything that can't shoot back.
I can't justify deeming anything overpopulated, when I speak on behalf of a species in which can't even control our own.

I don't shoot at anything that can't shoot back.
I can't justify deeming anything overpopulated, when I speak on behalf of a species in which can't even control our own.
Planned parent hood kills around 330,000 American baby’s every year. Even the us has population control.

I would like to go to Africa and hunt the bastards who kill Rhinos and Elephants just to cut their horns or tusks off.

Now that would be a true treat! I know there have been some Veteran Groups go out and protect Rhinos and such, and that's always appealed to me. Except for being in Africa long term.

I have no problem with rich folks doing rich folks things as long as they aren't illegal or immoral. I plan on joining them as soon as I can!

Planned parent hood kills around 330,000 American baby’s every year. Even the us has population control.
But not if tbe ultra conservatives have their way.

I have no problem with rich folks doing rich folks things as long as they aren't illegal or immoral. I plan on joining them as soon as I can!

Not do I.
The bolded is where we depart philosophically on this particular issue.

You are obviously an educated dude and smart guy. You seem to like to read a lot. Read 'A sand county Almanac by A Leupold when you have a free afternoon and see if it in any way shaped your thinking.

Remember it's written by a staunch conservative. A vociferous defender of 2A and an avid outdoorsman.

With that back drop it's pretty impactful to the discussion at hand.

So now no elephant killing?
Seen a little blip that said Trump reversed his ruling on this?

Nobody ever made hunting them illegal except countries in Africa with very low populations. They limited the number you could kill to two.

Back