I knew it all my life..

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
office_space.jpeg

Study: Chronic job stress could leads to premature death in men :: WRAL.com

...get out while you can !!

the people who typed and/or let "...could leads to prem...." are on the list o_O

Last edited:
Job stress, along with a few other categories, is basically what caused my diabetes to jump to an A1C of 11.5 and a glucose of 454. I'm down to 5.0 and 120 with diet and one pill, but the stress still lurks... and while proper grammar isn't usually an issue, basic things like "what day of the week is today?" comes up far too often. And, I'm not joking - everyone that's been on the same project (me for 9 years) has the same symptom.

But, that's what the beer is for! :D

Congrats! What are you going to do now? Build a house, or you got some other things planned?
I predict a lot more machining pics in the Random Pics thread that make the rest of us jealous

I can retire in 2047.... :(

Although it's not exactly a job, I did get diagnosed with high blood pressure shortly after I started dating my girlfriend. I'm fairly certain if I get rid of her, the high blood pressure will go away too.

Although it's not exactly a job, I did get diagnosed with high blood pressure shortly after I started dating my girlfriend. I'm fairly certain if I get rid of her, the high blood pressure will go away too.
2043 here :D
Normally the blood pressure thing comes a couple years after marriage.
Or, after one of the inlaws moves in with you.

Not on Social Security you won't! Can't live on it Now. It will be extinct by then. Hope you got your Own Retirement!:lol:

I'm a federal employee, we have a pretty good TSP and retirement benefits. Plus, my house will be paid for in 2028, so I'll have plenty of time to save on my own too.

I should note that in 2047 I will be 57. I will probably work a few years past that...maybe until I'm 62 or so. We'll see how it goes!

I'm a federal employee, we have a pretty good TSP and retirement benefits. Plus, my house will be paid for in 2028, so I'll have plenty of time to save on my own too.

I should note that in 2047 I will be 57. I will probably work a few years past that...maybe until I'm 62 or so. We'll see how it goes!
My Dad worked for USPS. Can't beat Federal retirement & insurance!

My Dad worked for USPS. Can't beat Federal retirement & insurance!
FYI... the USPS retirement system, and the current Fed employee benefits are very different. It's good but not nearly that good. (there's a reason the USPS is a money pit)

Get out as soon as you can!

I'm hoping to be done some time between 2029-2034.

My philosophy has and always will be, no one ever looks back and says they wish they spent more time in the office. I did the 80-100hr/wk thing, I believe that's a critical part in attaining your goals, but you can't do it forever. I got sick of the rat race, quit my job in January and spent 4-5 months home taking care of my daughter. Everyone thought I was crazy...what will you do for money, you just bought a new house, you just had a kid and have #2 on the way, blah blah blah. I wasn't going to settle for less than perfection in my next job...landed a CFO gig, with an equity stake, 7 minute commute and is a legit 35-40hr/wk job. I know for a fact it's $100k/yr less than what I could have gotten in Charlotte, but I'll be working half the hours and spending 2.5 hours/day less in the car everyday...that's worth it's weight in gold to me.

Last edited:
I quit my my first job when I was 20. I was working for a small geotechnical co. for a year. I learned quickly and was running a drill rig after a year. The boss kept telling me I would get a raise but it didn't happen even after I asked about it several times. Other workers left the co. too. While working w the boss, out of town I discovered he had a substance problem that helped him work 14/18 or more hrs a day. I was as fit as I have ever been in my life but could not keep up w him and told him so.I stayed on a few more weeks waiting for a big raise and one day while working by myself w equipment that was worn out and in need of repair/dangerous to operate, I quit. I packed up the machine, went back to the office and told the secretary to mail my last check. I will never forget the feeling of relief/stress off my back while driving home that afternoon that made me realize how bad that job was affecting me.

Last edited:
I quit my my first job when I was 20. I was working for a small geotechnical co. for a year. I learned quickly and was running a rig after a year. The boss kept telling me I would get a raise but it didn't happen even after I asked about it several times. Other workers left the co. too. While working w the boss, out of town I discovered he had a substance problem that helped him work 14/18 or more hrs a day. I was as fit as I have ever been in my life but could not keep up w him and told him so.I stayed on a few more weeks waiting for a big raise and one day while working by myself w equipment that was worn out and in need of repair/dangerous to operate, I quit. I packed up the machine, went back to the office and told the secretary to mail my last check. I will never forget the feeling of relief/stress off my back while driving home that afternoon that made me realize how bad that job was affecting me.
I bet that was a good feeling. I don't have the worst job in the world or anything, but I do find myself not wanting to be there ALOT. I feel that I am wasting my time and I just have absolutely no passion for what I am doing and am working on trying to figure out what the hell I want to do. I have had a lot of stress with my job in the last year and I can tell even when I am not at work, that I have just become an uptight ass sometimes. Working on trying to figure out a different avenue for me at the moment. Just don't want to wake up one day and wonder where my life has gone and why I haven't done anything with it.

Back