I can't afford Amsoil

tech701

I've decided that when I do my next oil change in my 03 7.3l, I'm going to go with synthetic oil. So, if I can't afford Amsoil whats the next best thing to go with? What about this new Rotella 5w-40 synthetic or mobile one? Also what weight should I go with? Oh, its got 80k miles on it.

I run Mobil 1 5W-40 for Diesel SUVs.
The 5W-30 SUV oil has the sunburst. From what I've read, all of the oils with the sunburst symbol have reduced ZDDP.
I bought my 93 Suburban 454 and it had 150K miles. The prior owner had always run Amsoil. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30, then later to the Mobil1 Synthetic for Diesel SUVs (5W-40) with no problems. I've got 235K miles on it now.
Mike

Any synthetic is gonna be just fine as long as it's made for a diesel.

Rich "269,000 miles on dino oil" Q.

Valvoline Premium Blue....

Our engineers swear it is #1 in all their stress tests... But I'm not sure there is a blonde p hairs difference between any of the "name" brands.

just out of curiosity, why does the synthetic need to be diesel specific? i have been running synthetic in my truck for the past two oil changes but it hasnt been 'for' diesels.

Any oil needs to be made for a diesel if you're going to run it.. From what I've gathered, alot of it has to do with the level of soot it can suspend, and other things a gasser doesn't have going on.

I know for a fact that guys with a CTD that use gasser engine oil wind up with plugged up crank vents.

:stupid:

Back