I am a hypocrite and I know it

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I will admit, I am a hypocrite. In my teens I had a flow master on a 4.3 GMC Jimmy and a 4.0 ZJ. I thought they sounded great, loved hard accelerations and going under over passes just to hear it... I was the man!!

Well you know what?? That crap must have annoyed people to no end just like these kids today are annoying me. Case in point, taking my kids to school today and I am like what is that racket? Keep hearing it, I am assuming some clapped out POS car had its exhaust fall off. Nope. A high school kid on his way to school with a Nissan Frontier with the exhaust dumping out from a 4” tip right in front of the passenger rear wheel. Sounds like two rats fighting in a tin can trying to get out. Boy was he proud of it too, saw me looking at it and gave me a thumbs up, I shook my head and mouthed “no”.

So TL/DR: I am now my father haha

Boy was he proud of it too, saw me looking at it and gave me a thumbs up, I shook my head and mouthed “no”.

Made me lol..

I am the same way. I hear/see kids doing dumb things with vehicles now and shake my head but I was the same way. My first truck was an 80’ Chevy Custom Deluxe and I didn’t have the money for exhaust so I just cut the muffler off. Man I thought that thing sounded mean with straight pipes and would have bet the farm it gave me more power that way. Looking back it sounded awful, just awful. And certainly had no power gains from that.

I have to admit I am same way. Looking back at some of my exhaust choices makes me shake my head as well! While at the Dixie run, I was on the trail with a JK in front that had some kind of loud dual outlet exhaust and that got old listening to that real quick. Between that and the one behind me that had chain steps, d-rings, exhaust sounding like it was all about to fall off of it, clanging and banging every time it went over a rock...damn. If I have a squeak, I need to find it!

I was that kid with the system. 4 twelves in the bed of my Toyota under a tonneau cover. 2 tens behind the front seat. I’d leave my truck running at the gas station just so I could walk inside and see the liquid shaking in the bottles across the back of the building. Car alarms would sound my arrival on the parking deck. I’m kinda ashamed and I’m also sure both my boys are gonna pay me back.

I was right there with you. 21 wrangler 4.0 straight piped. (We’ll exhaust broke). Thought it sounded awesome. A 2 hour ride on the highway home from the beach cured me of that. I value a silent care after that trip.

I was right there with you. 21 wrangler 4.0 straight piped. (We’ll exhaust broke). Thought it sounded awesome. A 2 hour ride on the highway home from the beach cured me of that. I value a silent care after that trip.

Same. People always say I should put some nice exhaust on my tow rig, but I like it quiet and don’t want listen to that thing at 4K climbing hills on the way to Harlan and other trips all the time lol.

I dread getting old. I still like my 4.SLOW with a glass pack, and I think a 350 SBC with straights is badass.

Loud enough to hear it start and warm up, a note at a traffic light, but quiet enough you can’t hear it over road noise on the highway.
Perfect !

I effing hate loud vehicles these days. Gas, diesel, motorcycles, doesn't matter. I can admit to being just like the OP. I had a glasspack on my 4.2 in my CJ7 in college. Man did it sound good to me, but now I know sounded like :poop:. 3 straight piped Cummins trucks too. I just want it quiet now. The jeep has a little rumble now with the 350, but far from loud.

Add one more to the picnic.
And with an 18 year old now...I am paying for my sins.

There is a live version of "If that aint country" by David Allen Coe floating around that Ive heard and it has the perfect line...
I had a '55 Chevy when I was fifteen
I painted it red cause I was still green
Hell I couldn't even afford to buy it gas
That just resonates with my old ass...as a teen every hot rod had to be red. Every "muffler" a glass pack or straight pipe. Every tire taller, every gear deeper.

No consideration to fit, function, or compatability just more, louder,bigger.

That’s old school. Got a buddy with a set of them on a built 304 CJ5. They still sound good to me.
I thought they sounded pretty good. Actually, my dad did too, but he's an old musclecar guy. Mom wasn't crazy about it. :lol:

Getting and and turning into you dad sucks. But apparently it's the cycle of life.

My son is 14, almost 15. I find myself yelling at hom, and saying "wtf is wrong with him." Then I realize, wait, my dad said teh exact same thing, when I did the same thing.
Facepalm.

Whenever I mention thing he does that irritate me to my mother - she just laughs at me.
She used to always say, "You desevers everything you get from your kids." And damn if she wasn't right.

First vehicle: CJ5 with 304 and side pipes to glass packs...less the glass. The sound was magical.

These clapped out 4 and 6 bangers have always made me cringe. However, I'm not my father, in that I soon hope to get that very setup going again in another CJ :huggy: to annoy my neighbors and get the "NO" from soccer dads :lol:

As far as exhaust is concerned, even as a teen, noise was warranted by power. I had/have no problems with exhaust dumps if I can feel the cam lope in my chest...but just know, if you’re running straight pipes on a stock I6...I’ll laugh at you. Beyond that, I think I stopped maturing at 16, because I’ve caught myself thinking more ‘Geez, 18 year old me would be calling me a pu$$y right now’.

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong. Love the sounds of these cars and the Cummings whistle is music to my ears.... for about 10 seconds

I really liked my 4.0 with no muffler dumping under the tub until I put the stock catback back on and realized it had more torque and did't hurt my ears and get fumes in the cab.

In my younger days everything got a flowmaster 40. My LJ came with a 40 on it and I didn't mind. Now, to go along with my maturity level, it got a 50 series with the 5.3 swap.

Im all for exhaust if you have the motor to back it up.but not on a stocker. Especially a p.o.s.

Side note i pulled into bluecj's place the other day and a guy that comes by trying to get help/learn about cars says sounds good looking at my 2500 ram. I just laugh and say the exhaust rusted out. Kept walking.

Clay I'm gonna go buy a V8 Mustang with a full exhaust and cams and bring it over just so you have to listen to it. :flipoff2:

I have no problem with tastefully loud exhaust on a V8 or some diesels. Most hated is a straight piped tbi/vortec 350 in trucks, sounds like complete :poop:

Back